Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KFRG
Topic Author

3-D Aero Technology (GE90)

Sun Nov 24, 2002 7:37 am

What's good everyone?
With the rollout of the first B777-300(ER), I am starting to become more and more interested in what changes were made, and what new technology's were incorporated, especially in the new GE90 (-115 series etc.). Im interested in learning more about 3-D Aero compressor technology, if someone could give me a good explanation, thanks.

-Tom

AFa340-300E

RE: 3-D Aero Technology (GE90)

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:04 pm

KFRG
Topic Author

Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:16 pm

Thanks Alain,
But what I really need is an in-depth technical explaination about 3D-Aero technology.

-Tom

KFRG
Topic Author

Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:15 pm

Can anyone help me here?

AFa340-300E

Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:08 am

Hello,

Have you checked if Flight International hasn't released a special booklet on the GE90, or if the information you're looking for is not in Jane's All the world's airplanes?

Best regards,
Alain Mengus
Air Transport Business [ATB]

aeroguy

Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:27 pm

I'm not really sure of a good way to describe what 3D Aero technology is but I'll give it a shot. Simply put, 3D Aero implies that 3D Computational Fluid Dynamics was used in the design. That doesn't sound like much and granted, CFD remains more of an art than a science, but engineers still possess an impressive capability to model the flow physics. 3D CFD has paved the way for some innovative and highly effective blade and stator designs such as forward sweep and bowing. 3D Aero can't really be characterized by a single feature but a good rule of thumb is that if you encounter a blade (most likely a little odd looking) that has features such as low aspect ratio, large amount of twist, high sweep, or significant bow, you have yourself a 3D Aero blade.

3D Aero has also allowed designers to increase the stage loading in compressors, which means higher pressure ratios and/or less stages. (Anyone notice that the GE90-115B has one less compressor stage than older GE90s?) 3D Aero is a relatively new technology and is much more complex and interesting than I have described but hopefully I've given you a little bit of an idea.