Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcxp15

RE: How To Become A Pilot

Mon May 12, 2003 6:32 am

YoungDon:

It's 9 or 10 years active after you graduate from USAFA for pilot. I was a lot like you, in that I didn't think I wanted to go military, but after visiting USAFA and kinda knowing what military life is really like, I decided on military, and will be attending USAFA next year. I went through all you did. I applied to Purdue, ERAU etc.. but knew those places weren't right for me, and knew I was a better student than what those schools offered.

I would strongly urge you to really consider SLU as it's aeronautics program IMHO is much better than Purdue's, UND's and ERAU's. The best program by far is the Air Force, and if you really think about it, you will almost certainly be in the same position in 15 years than you would going the civilian route, just $100,000's cheaper and the Air Force name and discipline to back you up. As I said, once you finish the first 4 months at USAFA, things become like a regular college, and once you graduate, you live almost a normal life (not required to live on base etc)...
But, if you really think USAF is not for you, then I would almost go SLU (saint louis). Their campus is beautiful, smaller than those state schools, not all aeronautic (like ERAU), and is in St. Louis. Plus, I got like a free ride from them for all 4 years, and if you get something like that, it makes it well worth it.

Anyway, if you have any questions or anything, just drop me a line...

covert

Mon May 12, 2003 10:14 am

Actually, military isn't so bad after the first couple of months go by. They aren't really all that on top of you, and they leave it up to you to discipline yourself.

Hey, for a free degree, so what they make you shave, so what you can't wear a tank top outside anymore?

And like our friend said above, in a few years you probably will be in the same position as the civilian, maybe better. At least you have job security. The DoD isn't going bankrupt as long as George Bush is president.
Sure beats flying for Big Banner Towing Inc. for 8 dollars an hour.

If I could get into an academy I'd jump on it. Better go lay under you congressman now...

covert
none

YoungDon

Mon May 12, 2003 12:03 pm

Jcxp15,

Hey thanks for the info. I'm going to visit SLU in July, so I guess I'll see what you are talking about. As I said, after my weeklong outing at the AFA in June, we'll see what I think about military life then. I would write more, but I'm tired and want to go to bed.  Yawn

Don

DE727UPS

Tue May 13, 2003 5:29 am

Young Don. Have you checked out Jetcareers.com? It's run by an African-American DL pilot. I know the airlines used to recruit minorities but am not sure it's going to be such a big deal in the future. I would say that your race status could only help you...not hurt you.

atenara

Wed May 14, 2003 9:50 am

If you want to become a pilot. start flying there is no age req. or gpa levels or you have to have a high school diploma.

take the case, a few years back there have been several young girls who have flown mig fighter jets!

aer lingus

Sat May 24, 2003 3:30 am

Its easy with Aer Lingus!  Smile
Get a certificate that you attended and finished College! Big grin
Then apply to Aer Lingus and get free training Big grin
Alternative get a Diploma or a Degree and join Cathay Pacific which they have free traing as well Big grin  Big grin

BA LMFC Photography Group
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?