Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bio15
Topic Author

Running The APU With No Discharge Bottles?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:18 pm

Hi, I came across this picture today:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Krzysztof Skowronski [epwa_spotters]

The caption says the fire department put out the minor APU fire that occurred. How many discharge bottles are for the APU on this 737? I was thinking that the bottles should be very effective because there's no firemen on the air! Probably in this case they didn't work, what's a possible cause for this situation? Thanks in advance

-Alfredo

LMP737

RE: Running The APU With No Discharge Bottles?

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:25 am

The APU on the 737 has it's fire bottle. It should be able to handle a fire within the APU compartment. Have to say I'm at a loss as to why the fire department would be needed. Maybe it was just precautionary, or maybe the airport fire department wanted to use their equipment. Although I have to wonder how effective extinguishing agent would be on a fire that's in the APU compartment, not outside.

MD11Engineer

737 Fire Bottles

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:58 am

You didn´t state if maybe the APU compartment was open for a maintenance run, like for a leak check, when the fire happened. The fire bottles are only effective in a closed compartment, so if you perform an APU run with open APU doors you should have a CO2 fire extinguisher nearby.

Rgds,
Jan

bio15
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:38 am

Thanks for the responses. It could be possible that it was open for a maintainance run. What seems odd is performing a run while the aircraft is being towed. Perhaps the caption is not correct.

Tough one here!

-Alfredo

dc10hound

Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:21 am

For an APU or engine fire on the ground, if you can put the fire out with a ground fire extinguisher, save the aircraft bottles. Use the aircraft system as a last resort ($$$). That's the way the Air Force trained us.

Airborne, you have no choice...

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:41 pm

From the Pic it seem the APU compartment cowling is closed shut.That means the APU Fire Extinguisher would be effective.
The Fire man seems directing the Extinguishing agent in the APU Exhaust.
Its difficult to tell whats the real reason.
regds
HAWK.

avioniker

Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:32 pm

As it's a -400 ("bathtub" apu containment) and the door is closed the only thing the fire department would be putting out is a tailpipe fire. Could be someone wasn't told the thing to do is to keep cranking in that case.
It's also possible that the starter failed after ignition and there was a hung start which is a bit too common in the classics. Not really common but it happens often enough. The pump is putting out more fuel than the combustion chamber is capable of handling so the excess burns off in the tailpipe. Makes the EGT go scarily high sometimes.

One other scenerio is one that happened to me in PHX a couple of years ago. I was starting the APU on a -300 after someone had shut the thing down with the battery switch. There was a bit of fuel in the tail pipe and it lit off and was burning slowly as the APU wasn't on speed yet. A passing fire vehicle stopped after the driver saw it and filled my tailpipe with Dry Chemical without asking anyone. When he came to the cockpit to see if everyone was all right and get his thanks I was just getting out to see what the H... was wrong and my boss was running up behind the fireman with blood in his eye.
We all had a good shout and the fireman bought a few beers and promised to ask next time before he tried to ruin a perfectly good APU.

Aviation, it's a vocation and an experience, not just a job...