Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gordonsmall
Topic Author

What Exactly Is "pic U/S"?

Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I was trawling through the web earlier looking for useless information and in many of the documents I look at there are references to flight time being logged as "PIC U/S", which I gather to be PIC Under Supervision.

I have heard this mentioned by pilots at my local flying club on more than one occasion - but what exactly is it?

Is it a captain under training? Or co-pilot acting as flying (handling) pilot? Is it just another way of logging SIC?

I have searched the web but every document I find seems to give a different answer, and it appears to have a different meaning in GA aircraft as opposed to transport category operations. And to confuse things even more from what I can see the FAR's and JAR's also have different definitions.

I would appreciate if anyone could clarify this for me.

And while we're at it what are the most common categories that flight time is logged under both for GA pilots and commercial/airline pilots?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

ben

RE: What Exactly Is "pic U/S"?

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:33 pm

Hi Gordon,

There is an excellent (and 100% definitive) guide that the CAA publish regarding logging of time.

I'm searching for it now.

Just hoping that it hasn't been replaced by LASORS. Of course LASORS should answer any questions you have, but I'm still going to search for the other PDF file...

By the way, doesn't your instructor know? they are normally pretty clued up.

I believe, in relation to GA, P1S or PIC/US or PICUS is for situations like a PPL skills test where you are the P1 (kind of) but not the legal commander of the aircraft (the examiner is). I will find the definite answer for you anyway.

Cheers,
Ben

gordonsmall
Topic Author

Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:44 pm

Ben,

I haven't had a chance to ask my instructor yet, It was just something I came across while sitting bored at work earlier.

I don't have any flying officially planned until after the new year now due to the piss poor weather here in Scotland - although ironically I'm sitting here today with nothing to do and the weather outside is clear blue skies and a lovely cold OAT, perfect weather for taking the Cherokee 140 up but alas I'll just have sit here staring at the contrails......

Regards,
Gordon.

Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

ben

Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:08 pm

Hi again Gordon,

Found it, and as I suspected, it has now been moved under LASORS.

Here is the link to section A
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_A.pdf

The part called "Recording of Flight Time" is Appendix B in that document.

I know what you mean about the weather. Oh well, no blue sky or sunshine here in London.

Just think, the sun is always shining above the clouds! Good motivation to get your IMC or join the big-league I think.

avt007

Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:25 am

From a maintenance point of view, I've seen many aircraft where the PIC was U/S!  Smile

BR715-A1-30

Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:32 am

I would think that PIC U/S is a Captain being supervised by a Check Ride Captain. Meaning there are 2 captains in the flight deck instead of captain and first officer. Check Captain sits in the Right Seat, while PIC U/S sits in left seat. Could be wrong though.
Puhdiddle

FLY 8

Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:08 pm

Hi there!

As far as I know (I know because I flew with swiss pilots who have allready JAR) PIC U/S is time logged when A Co pilot flies the aircraft, so he is the flying pilot. This time then becomes PIC US time when I, the captain, sign it in his logbook. You need a certain amound of PIC US time to become captain on a 2 man cockpit aircraft.
That means you can have like 5000 hours on Piper Seneca, but you would not be able to become captain on a 2 man cockpit aircraft.
I think the term PIC U/S is not very good or correct, becaus even when the co-pilot flies the aircraft the captain remains PIC pilot in command.

Hope I helped a little!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

Skymonster

Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:00 am

Gordon,

I see you're a student pilot (PPL) in the UK at the moment. There's only one situation where you can log PIC U/S in that situation and that is for SUCCESSFULLY completed flight tests. If you fail the flight test, it goes down as P U/T. Once you get into multi-crew ops, there's other situations but that's for later.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots