Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Nasa Forms - Avaition Safety Reporting Program

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:49 am

First a little background on the NASA form.

In 1975, in an effort to improve aviation safety and to promote the self disclosure of actual or possible discrepancies and/or deficiencies involving aviation operations, the FAA created the Aviation Safety Reporting Program ("ASRP"). In order to ensure the effectiveness of this program, and to safeguard the anonymity of mechanics, pilots, flight attendants, or flight dispatchers who filed these new aviation safety reports, the FAA decided to use the National Aeronautics and Space Administration ("NASA") as an impartial third party to receive, analyze, and de-identify these reports.

The driving force behind the ASRP or NASA program was the notion that anonymous self-reporting of potential safety problems would reduce or eliminate the possibility of aircraft accidents. To that end, the FAA decided to guarantee that those who submitted NASA reports could use their self-disclosure to protect themselves from certificate suspension or civil penalties—if a disclosure met certain key criteria.
If the FAA initiates legal enforcement action against you, and ultimately a finding is made that you violated a Federal Aviation Regulation ("FAR"), the resultant civil penalty or certificate suspension will not be imposed if:

(1) your violation was inadvertent and not deliberate;

(ultimately, it may be up to a judge to decide whether an act was inadvertent.)

(2) your violation did not involve a criminal offense, accident, or action which demonstrates a lack of qualification or competency;

(3) you have not violated any other FAR during the five years prior to the date of this particular incident; and

(4) you prove that, within 10 days after your violation, you completed and delivered, or mailed, a written report of the incident or occurrence to NASA under ASRS.

Has anybody in this forum ever filed one of these and what was the violation?
Please don't respond if you think your anonymity will be compromised. I'm not trying to "expose any secrets". I'm just trying to educate the forum on how the industry tries to improve itself through self-disclosure.

Dl757md

[Edited 2004-06-05 23:08:45]
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

OPNLguy

RE: Nasa Forms - Avaition Safety Reporting Program

Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:08 am

>>>Has anybody in this forum ever filed one of these

Yes.

>>> and what was the violation?

Sure. One day, I jj-]0i-v]0i9]-k0-035 and then I ]-0uijv]0-jkv-]50ik-]35k, but not before I had n0]9iu-v]0okb]-0k03k]b0-35b.  Big grin

>>>Please don't respond if you think your anonymity will be compromised. I'm not trying to "expose any secrets". I'm just trying to educate the forum on how the industry tries to improve itself through self-disclosure.

I think the best way to educate the forum etc. etc. is to show everyone an issue of NASA ASRS's monthly "Callback" publication in which "sanitized" versions of events are discussed.

Here's the latest one:
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/callback_issues/cb_294.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ha763

Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:06 pm

I've met many of the people who work at NASA's ASRS. They had a meeting back in 2002 bringing together many airlines because of the growing number of ASAP programs.

The Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) allows pilots many of the same protections as ASRS. These programs are also all linked to the ASRS in that a ASRS report is automatically filed for the pilot. The first ASAP program in the US was started at American. Now, there are ASAP programs at United, Northwest, Alaska, Hawaiian, AirTran, ATA, ACA, and many other airlines. The program has to be FAA approved and lets reps from the airline, union, and FAA meet to discuss the incidents and come up with appropriate resolutions. The worse course of action would be a letter of correction (IIRC).

ArmitageShanks

Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:06 pm

Kind of off topic, but funny. Go read some of the reports that flight attendants write up.. Some are absolutely hilarious. Type in "poo" or some other funny word and some great stories will show up.