Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aloges
Topic Author

Cockpit Visits After Landing?

Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:17 am

Good evening everyone,

soon I'm flying to the US on a US airline, and I was wondering if asking for a cockpit visit after landing (when the aircraft is at the gate, and most passengers have already left it) would be a good or a bad idea. I have done this on a flight to LHR on a UK airline, and both the captain and f/o were happy to let me in. The captain even lent me his cap for a photo, and he calmed the cleaning crew it would just take "one more moment". All in all, it was a very pleasant post-9/11 cockpit visit - at LHR.

best regards,
aloges
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

INNflight

RE: Cockpit Visits After Landing?

Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:15 am

Normally, it should not be a big problem, just ask politely. When the aircraft has reached the parking position and the engines are shut down they may let you in.

regards, Florian
Jet Visuals

wilco737

Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:00 am

Hi,

it is/ was always nice if you have a visitor in the cockpit!! The law says: it is not allowed anymore! Very bad I think! Sure it is a safety reason, but you feel like in jail there in the front! Communication with the FA just over interphone and very rare visits from the FA!

If someone asks me, if they can come in to the cockpit after we reached the Gate, I usually say yes, most of the Captains, too. Just a short visit during disembarking the passengers... I do not know how it is in the US, but you can give it a try! Ask the FA during cruise, if they can ask in the cockpit. Then the cockpit crew has enough time to discuss it. If not, don't argue with them. They have their reasons...

good luck, that you can visit the cockpit...

WILCO737

calpilot

Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:35 am

Please feel free to ask any F/A after the flight or just ask the pilot as your walking by. If I have no other obligations I enjoy staying and talking about my airplane.

B-HOP

Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:57 pm

I have this today last year (20/6) on a CX744, just ask politely.
Live life to max!!!

Espion007

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:34 am

Its sure allowed.3 weeks ago i flew to chicago and back and both times,after almost everyone was off i asked an F/A to go there.The happily agreed.Plus,i go these pics of the a319 and the 757-200  Smile

Snakes on a Plane!

QantasA332

Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:41 am

Keep in mind that even if the flight attendants or pilots say no to a flightdeck visit on the first leg of your trip, it's always worth asking again on the return. A few months ago I flew SYD-MEL, and on the way there the pilots were fine with me checking out the front office; on the way back, the f/a that I asked told me they don't allow cockpit visits anymore - obviously they do because I had made many visits before in the not too distant past. It all really depends on the crew: if they say no, you certainly shouldn't argue it, but they often say yes...

Cheers,
QantasA332

aloges
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:11 am

Thanks for all the answers, quite good to hear! So maybe I will get to visit that 744 flight deck.

QantasA332, I figure I won't be able to tell how it went on the return flight since that leg will essentially be GRU-F R A! Big grin But anyway, I'll make sure to ask the RG crew if an inflight cockpit visit is anywhere near possible, for they have a different company history than UA.

Starlionblue

Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:27 pm

"It's not allowed anymore. Security" is a pleasant fiction that F/A's can use. That way they don't have to argue with you. But I have been in the front office many times in the past few years (even jumpseated a landing back in 2002). So it's worth asking, politely. Some airlines really don't allow it at all (ok, fine), but if the plane is at the gate after a flight there are no real security concerns and most carriers let the pilots decide.

In flight, always start your question with "After landing..." If you start with "Would it be possible to visit the cockpit..." they will get into a "no" frame of mind directly.

Another tip. Don't ask F/A's if they could please ask the pilots. That just makes them feel like assistants. Ask the F/A's directly ("After landing, would it be possible to..."). They will of course have to ask the pilots, but you treated them nicely.

Good luck.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:28 am

I visited the cockpit of a Delta 767-200 a couple of weeks ago, after landing in ATL. It was pretty neat! I had exited onto the Jetway and then asked a F/A who was on her way back down the Jetway. I was pretty well the last person off the plane so we went back on and the pilots were nice enough to let me take a peek. The thing I noticed most was that the windows were smaller than I expected.  Smile
But that was when I ruled the world

pilotpip

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:54 am

99.9% of the time a little politeness and a smile can go a long way. If you don't ask the F/A and they have the door open on the way out, take your time going up there and just ask the pilots if they don't look too terribly busy or have a little time at the gate before they're off again.

Most pilots really love what they do, otherwise they wouldn't put up with the b-s and instability of the industry. Unless they're having a bad day they will be more than happy to show off the office a little.  Big thumbs up
DMI

SlamClick

Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:55 am

By all means ask.

Very rarely we might be running for another plane and not have time. Sometimes you will get the person who just likes to say no. But ask.

Personally I enjoy showing people the front end. I enjoy questions from people who have a genuine interest.

Come on up.

(Of course I'll only be here for a few more months.)

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

N766UA

Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:38 pm

I'm yet to be turned down for a cockpit visit in the US.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Patrick Smith

planespotterx

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:47 pm

On a BMI flight MAN-LHR I was on last Friday I was able to visit the F/D after landing, I asked the stewardess if it'd be ok after landing and she said she's ask the captain.
After landing I politely asked again, and she let me on the F/D, I got talking to the Pilot and co-pilot, just asking questions about the A321 Fly-by-wire controls etc.
So its worth trying if you ask politely.
Its not the fall that kills u, its the sudden stop at the end..

Georg

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:57 pm

Well I got to the cockpit during the flight as well, I just talked to my friend who is pilot in that airline and he told my name to the captain of my flight. But they should let you in after plane has parked. It should be quite same that before 9/11 also not all pilots in the world didnt let people to visit flightdeck, just depends on the person.
NO URLS in signature

KALB

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:07 am

Unless I'm rushing to make a connection, I try to be the last passenger off the flight, so that I can chat with the pilots. I have never been turned down for a visit to the flight deck. I've even visited flight decks before the flight started. One time a flight engineer let me start a 727-200 APU.

Georg

Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:59 am

Oh LOL, that was cool I think!
NO URLS in signature

SlamClick

Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:06 am

Followup: Just two days ago, about twenty minutes before departure a guy came up front and asked a question about the rain repellant system. I was just about to answer him when the LAVATORY SMOKE alarm went off. We almost trampled this poor guy getting back to deal with it.

Some nicotine-addicted person couldn't even get off the gate before he snuck in the biffy for a smoke. He got ushered off the plane and his wife went on without him. I'll bet this becomes the subject of an interesting conversation between them!

Anyway, I had to go back later and look up the passenger and finish answering his question.

By all means ask. It might be okay.

airlinelover

Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:52 am

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/45032/

Other then being accused of being a terrorist, I've had no problems.. (See FNT-ATL leg)

Most crews are happy to let you take a pic or 2, just be sure to ask nicely  Smile

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

B-HOP

Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:29 am

In fact, on that day, I have asked twice, once in check in when I see the F/O, he said no. But after that, i send them a small card and a brief questionnaire and after we arrived in Hong Kong, the preser asked me to stay behind and i was invited up the cockpit
Live life to max!!!

AAR90

Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:58 am

Ask, the worst that can happen is you receive a "no." If not rushing to another flight, I always welcome visitors before or after the flight.  Big grin
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

PilotHighFlyer

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:27 pm

Evertime i have asked to see the cockpit after landing and before takeoff i've be allowed and if u have a camera one of the pilots always lends you a hat for a picture. I think you'll find 99% of crews very happy to deal with interested passangers. One thing i've found to be very helpful is wearing an Embry Riddle Aeronuatical University T-Shirt  Laugh out loud, most pilots will talk to you before u get a chance to ask. I have gotten the chance to board with the plane with the pilots and watch them until every one had boarded and than you get "if was pre-9/11 we would of given you the jump seat" which sucks, but security is security.
As Pilotpip said pilots really do love their jobs and the vast majority want to share what they love so dearly.

Robert

AmericanAirFan

Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:12 am

I am 99.999999 % sure because just today before i got off i asked to see the cockpit and he let me sit down and touch the throttle and yoke on an American Airlines MD-80.
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

SlamClick

Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:36 am

Once again - go ahead and ask. I just remembered the big reason why I believe in that.

At worst, they say "no" and you are no worse off than before.
At best they say "yes" and cool things can happen.

I once got a ride in a P-51 just because I had the courage to ask. The guy kept it across from our National Guard hangar and he was flying pretty often. One day he was pulling the Mustang out just as I got off work. I walked over in my nomex flight suit and said that if, one day, he was going up by himself, I'd sure like a ride. He said: "What are you doing right now." That was one of the best days in a long career.

I'd bet you could get a thousand straight "no" answers when asking a complete stranger for a ride in his P-51, but on that one occasion I got what I asked for.

But I had to ask.

aloges
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:40 am

Thanks for all the answers, I'm definitely going to ask. "Pray" to UA the lady/gentleman won't be in a rush.

N243NW

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:56 pm

I too have never been denied a flight deck visit in the US, both pre- and post- 9/11. Recently on a UA flight, I gave the FAs the option by asking politely, "Is it possible for me to visit the flight deck either before or after the flight?" The crew was nice enough to show me to the cockpit immediately, and as a result, I had a good 10 minute chat with the captain about the 737 systems and the confusing layout of ORD.

The thing I noticed most was that the windows were smaller than I expected.
Me too; I had no idea that the 737's glareshield and panel protruded so far up, leaving a rather short windscreen.

On my return leg, I asked the captain as we were deplaning and he was standing right by the forward galley, saying good-bye to all the passengers. He was more than happy to show me his office and even volunteered his hat and the opportunity for a photo in the left seat. A very memorable trip!

By all means, ask! The worst case scenario: you'll get told "no." Best of luck, Aloges!

-N243NW  Big thumbs up
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:21 pm

Little note - sometimes you can get lucky before takeoff is the a/c is delayed or if fueling is going on - you'll probably be able to spend more time in there too.
I also noticed that some airlines are more willing to grant cockpit visits at the start of the flight, don't know why though.

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

707CMF

Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:30 pm

I have never had a problem with cockpit visis after landing.
The only time I haven't asked was that time I had only 10 minutes to make my connection at AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA (notwistanding all my jumpseat flights).

Otherwise, I have yet to be denied a cockpit visit after landing, be it in the US or in old Europe...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

cheers,

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:03 pm

I sat in the cockpit of an Air Wisconsin/UA Express for 1½ hours when we were delayed at the gate on Monday. Asked questions, the pilots clicked on stuff and showed me things. They even asked for my help finding pesky waypoints on their new flight plan!

I have already mentioned this in another thread, but the F/A on that flight, Christine, was both drop-dead gorgeous, and just fantastic at service. Everybody was just happy waiting and waiting and waiting.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SlamClick

Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:15 pm

Okay, one more word about cockpit visits from my perspective.

We had about an hour turn at Las Vegas many years ago. We were parked at the end of the "banjo" and two gates to our right, Concorde was nosed in. An older man came up and asked us if he could have a look. We were a friendly airline then and welcomed him.

After chatting a few minutes it was obvious that he knew something about flying but not much about current technology. We asked and he told us: He had flown gliders in the D-Day invasion. That opened up a great conversation that both of us pilots really enjoyed.

Then the talk turned to Concorde, just a few yards away, and what a striking piece of technology it was. As the three of us stared out at it, a Ford Tri-Motor landed in front of us. We were all struck by that - the advances made in just one man's lifetime. Even though the rest of this man's life was not spent in the industry, he still had the love of flight that had kindled in him with the Lindbergh flight.

Come on up. We'll talk about it.

P.S. Yes, the windows seem small but we are sitting rather close to them. The view is really pretty good on most of these planes.

Starlionblue

Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:47 pm

As SlamClick points out, the windows seem small but the view is amazing (especially in flight, sigh...). This is also due to the fact that they are all next to each other so the effect is a large window. Also, the angle is right so you can see to the sides, slightly back, forward, up and down at the same time.

AmericanAirFan

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:10 am

I already mentioned once I got to sit down in an MD-80 cockpit and another time i was plane spotting at a small non tower runway where the biggest thing there are lear jets and a pilot of plane inited me in before he flew and when he taxxied by to the rwy later he kept waving and flashing all the flight controls outside.

-AmericanAirFan
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

Ryan h

Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:57 pm

On my recent trip to Sydney I was able to see the cockpit on both flights.
My trick is to wait until most people are off the plane and ask on the way out.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Ryan Hothersall

South Australian Spotter

ScarletHarlot

Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:40 am

I intended to ask on my latest flight to Newark, but we were delayed about 40 mins waiting for our arrival gate to clear, so by the time we got to the gate I just wanted to get out of there. (Greetings from NJ, by the way, where I am enjoying training for my new job.)

I got a ride on a fire truck once when the local fire department was in our office doing their annual checks. One of my coworkers saw the firemen in the office and knowing how much I love fire trucks told me they were there. I asked them if I could go for a ride and they said yes! It was the coolest thing ever. The driver didn't run the siren, but he did blow the horn at my coworkers.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
But that was when I ruled the world

brettbrett21

Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:48 pm

Is there a new rule not allowing photo's to be taken during cockpit visits?
I was lucky enough to visit the flight deck of our First Choice A320 on the return from Mahon on Monday at LTN but the FA said that I wasn't allowed to take pictures. I though this was strange as in December I had a post-flight cockpit visit in both a 777 and 767 on United in ORD and as the US has the tightest aviation security it made me wonder.

brett
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

lorm

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:28 pm

For me it's always been the F/A crew as the deciding factor. Usually you can tell if they are strict about security. Sometimes I wont ask if they look like they are stressin'  Wink/being sarcastic.I've yet to be denied a cockpit visit though and depending on how you ask your chances are usually high that you'll be allowed. I've never been in a flight where the flight crew was too busy to make the time to allow a visit to the cockpit. On one of my more enjoyable flights was just this May, I was aboard a 744 captain's last retiring flight and he announced over the PA, if anyone wanted to come up for a cockpit visit, they were welcome.This of course was after the flight had parked at the gate. I didn't go up as I had to run from the B terminal to the opposite end of the C concourse for a connecting flight at ORD. In the past (pre 9/11 and when UAL had DC-10s and 747-100/200s) I've asked and been allowed to go down in the lower lobe galley after the flight had been concluded. One time I was down there on a 747 they were unloading the LD-3s and pallets and it was quite interesting to see from their perspective as those loaders are quite skilled at the speed they operate. Also the crew rests, I've always asked politely and always been allowed to visit. A lot of the HNL based F/As (most have retired recently) know me as my dad was their co-worker before he retired as well. And yes it does help to who you know!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
-Mike
Brick Windows

SlamClick

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:36 pm

In the US there is no such rule. I'm not aware of any airline having such a rule. What you are going to get is the crewmember's response. A nice friendly person will at least ask the pilots. Some will not bother. Of the pilots, most will say yes, some will not. It is a shame.

Captain_777

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:26 am

On the way out of the aircraft, speak up to an FA or Pilot.

Remember...what have you to lose?!

aloges
Topic Author

Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am

Just logging in from Panama/Bocas del Toro, which is a gorgeous place. Thanks for all the replies, I did ask if I could get into the cockpit after landing in IAD (before connecting to SJO). Result: A couple of nice photos from the flight deck, including one of me in the classic left-arm-on-glareshield and right-hand-on-the-yoke position wearing the F/O's cap. Sweet! Oh, and United won one more fan (like I wasn't one before  Big grin ) by bumping me to business class on N197UA, by letting me into the cockpit and by asking me if I'd "volunteer" to sit in the exit row after boarding Eco Plus from IAD to SJO. Great day, thank you, flying U!  Big thumbs up