Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Handling Nights & Studies

Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:59 am

Many of you in Maintenance must be working shifts.I would like to know how do you juggle with Night shifts,Sleeping in the Day & Keeping updated with Study Notes [Aircraft Maintenance].
regds
HAWK
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dl757md

RE: Handling Nights & Studies

Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:45 am

It's not for everybody. Some just don't seem to handle it very well.

As for me I usually end up having only 6 sleep periods a week as I have a family and transition to a daytime schedule on my weekends. There is also a temptation to sleep only 6 hours or so when I'm on mids so that I still have a useable part of the day left when I wake up. I don't do caffeine or any other stimulants, I'm just used to it after having done it for most of the past 15 years.

When I was going to A&P school I worked full time and went to school full time. That was very difficult but it's what got me into the night shift mode.

One word of advice. If you feel yourself falling asleep while driving, pull over and rest. It's an area that's not worth pushing it.
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

A/c train

Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:28 am

Im working 2 days 7am-7pm / 2 nights 7 pm-7am as of may until november on line maintenance, The 3 and a bit days after the shift is done I seem to be spending getting my clock back to normal !! I have to say its good experience though, im trying to do my B1 licence at the same time and im struggling to get decent study done and fit my girlfriend and friends in aswell.
Bit of a shock having not worked nights properly before but im coping, the way I look at it, it aint gunna get a lot better  Wink/being sarcastic
Part of the job I suppose, the naff shiff patterns, especially when our hangar are now on summer shift, you wish you were back in there !
At the end of my second day, I stay up late, maybe go out for a beer or see the girlfriend and force myself to stay awake, then ill sleep up until around 4 in the afternoon ready for the nightshift.
I try and study when the aircraft are all flying or not AOG at work, we get a few hours a day/night sometimes all going well, but the crew room isnt the easiest place to study in as the TV's on and everyones chatting away etc.
In my short experience this is how im coping !!
regards a/c

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:13 pm

I recently joined up at a fitness gym,In the hope of Increasing my Concentration while studying & reduce my tiredness due night shifts,Initially when I started out I found things getting worse,but after a week now I find workout helpful.
Hopefully I can achieve my Target.
regds
HAWK

avt007

Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:32 pm

I worked 12 hour night shifts for 10 years. Studying was strictly for days off, work was hard enough, and I was way too tired to think properly for studies. We did a 7 on/7 off shift, always starting on a Wednesday night, and getting off the following Wednesday AM. It was a very good shift. On the 7days off I'd study while my wife worked and the kids were having a nap (they were just babies then). Watch the caffeine, have a very quiet and very dark place to sleep. Try running a fan in the room while you sleep to provide background noise, it really helps to block out noise from the rest of the house. You can also take those disposable ear plugs, and cut them in two, so they don't stick out of your ears, and sleep with them in. Kudos to everyone working nights, it sure isn't easy, and I don't miss it a bit.

Buzz

Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:02 pm

Hi Hawk21, Buzz here. I've worked nights since '85, and i seem to have learned how to cope.
I drink a little coffee / stong tea. But none of that after 2 AM, that gives 6 hours to "de-tox" before i hit the sack.
I use the foam earlplugs to make it quiet in my head. On summer days i'll run a fan also. Some people use it for background sound -white noise- but i use it for cooling.
The bedroom is dark, a roll down shade plus mini-blinds.
Our kids are teenagers now, they have learned not to make a big noisy fuss outside my bedroom. Papa Bear commes out grouchy!
Sometimes i wish i had a walk in closet... small cubbyhole to snooze in. Our teenage girls seemed to need to use the Master Bathroom several times a day.
The ready room isn't a great place to snooze. But half the time at the end of the night somebody will be dozing in a chair while we're waiting for the 6 AM flights to load up and leave. At least we can find somebody to help for last minute problems, or aircraft towing.
Driving home used to be a problem, often i'd have to stop and take a nap. I've dozed off and scared myself. Now that we're back on the 10 hour nights from 2030-0700 it's better. I never felt rested on the 8 hour nights 6 nights on and 2 nights off.
I seem to have answered other questions on the posting about an AMT/AET's life.
g'day
Buzz Fuselsausage: Line Mechanic by night, DC-3 Crew Chief by choice, taildragger pilot for fun

2H4

Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:45 pm

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:38 pm

Sometimes I wish a day would be of 36 hrs each  Smile
regds
HAWK