Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MrFord
Topic Author

Vintage Aircraft Fabric

Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:45 am

I would like to discuss with somebody, who ever has rebuilt a vintage aircraft, I have to redone mine and I am confused with the fabric process, which one is the best and why.
stits, dope, Randolph, polyfiber
"For radar identification throw your jumpseat rider out the window."

SlamClick

RE: Vintage Aircraft Fabric

Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:31 pm

Don't really know anything about it, but I used to fly Supercubs for a company that had maybe twenty of them. One or two had been recovered two or more times in thirty thousand hours or so.

They considered using Ceconite but went with basic linen because they knew they wanted to strip it off every ten thousand hours anyway. They also put metal panels where the factory had not done so, closed with Dzus fasteners. These gave access to the back side of the throttle linkage, and the underside of the rudder pedal areas. These could then be opened without cutting fabric.

They also believed it to be very important to stabilize and protect all the metal and other structural bits that were to be covered, before the fabric was sealed.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

lowrider

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:36 am

The most basic answer is, it depends. How much do you want to spend? How is your aircraft typically used? In what type of climate? Will it be hangered? What skills do you bring to the table? Is there a process you have worked with before? If not, is there someone who can assist you who is familiar with a particular process? I would suggest talking to an A&P whom you trust and getting data sheets from the various manufacturers. I don't believe there is one best process, only the one that best suits your needs.
Proud OOTSK member

L-188

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:53 pm

Again, look around, ask several mechanics in your local area with experience working with fabrics in you area.

I would go so far as to say that selecting a mechanic used to working with the material going on the aircraft is more important then the material selection itself.

Although climate does have some considerations, for example, when I was taking A&P classes, during the very short segment on fabrics, Razorback was mentioned. For those of you unaware Razorback is a very very strong fiberglass cloth that then is doped, The shrinking dope is what pulls the fabric tight on the airframe, as opposed to heat, which if memory serves ceconite requires before doping. Problem is that you need heat to keep it tight, so if you are in a cold climate, it isn't a very tight fabric.

So it is a common covering on Ag-craft and corpdusters south of the Mason-Dixon line, however you don't ever see it on an airplane in Alaska, or Canada.

At least I never have.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.