Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Cascade Type Thrust Reversers?

Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:40 pm

Hi guys.

After looking at the photo below, I noticed it appears that only the outboard side of the #4 engine cowling is open (moved aft) - thus exposing the cascade thrust reverser.

This has me wondering ...........

Are cascade type thrust reversers only located on the outboard side of the engine? Or is only the outboard half of the reverser deployed on this particular engine for some reason?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Garry Lewis - AirTeamImages

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

LMP737

RE: Cascade Type Thrust Reverser?

Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:53 pm

Cascade reversers are located on both the inboard and outboard sides of the engine. My guess is that the reverser was manually opened because of some maintenance issue. It's also possible that due to the angle of the photograph it only appears that the outboard reverser is the only one open.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Cascade Type Thrust Reversers?

Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:56 pm

It's most probably an angle issue; as you can see below, the reverser doors are located at an angle which cannot be seen above.

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:59 pm

Hi guys.

I just found the answer to my own question after using different keywords in a photo search.

This photo of an Air Canada 767-2 clearly shows the cascade thrust reverser deployed on the inboard side of the #2 engine (you can see the engine cowling open under the fuselage).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pascal Gaudreau

Perhaps the Thai 747-4 in the first photo is having some maintenance done on only the outboard side of that engine's reverser.

Chris  Smile

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:07 pm

Hi guys.

> LMP737 & UTA flyingHIGH, Thanks for your replies guys. I missed them while looking a photos.

I believe the reverser on the Thai 747-4 must have been manually opened as mentioned by LMP737 because the photo clearly shows that only the outboard side of the cowling is moved aft ... IMO. Big grin

Take Care,

Chris  Smile

dl757md

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:22 pm

I believe the reverser on the Thai 747-4 must have been manually opened as mentioned by LMP737 because the photo clearly shows that only the outboard side of the cowling is moved aft ... IMO.

I agree the photo does clearly show that the inboard reverser half is stowed while the outboard half is deployed.
However the photographer states that the aircraft is parking, indicating that it was or had been taxiing in this configuration. Mx would never taxi an airplane in this configuration. IMO there was a failure of the outboard reverser half to stow after landing. There was probably a right reverser stow signal EICAS message letting the crew know that the reverser had not properly stowed.

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

ManBurkert

Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:45 am

I believe the plane is on a engine testrun after maintenance. Have seen this at our airport when they doing testrun after maintenance. The thrustreverser on a 747 was deployed one by one.
From that viewpoint its nothing special. But during normal operation I don't think its healthy.

Cheers

Manfred
Manfred Burkert (ZSAM)