Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nwafflyer
Topic Author

Question About Fuel Tanks

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:55 am

I was on a NW flight Wednesday that was delayed, because the belly tank showed signs of fuel leakage -- #1, I didn't realize there were belly tanks (thought all fuel was carried in the wings), and #2, didn't realize that fuel leakage on the ground was not a major issue

This was a dc-9 30

2H4

RE: Question About Fuel Tanks

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:50 am

Just because the belly tank showed signs of fuel leakage doesn't mean there was actually a leak. Perhaps it was determined there was in fact no leak at all. Better safe than sorry.
Intentionally Left Blank

OPNLguy

Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:01 am

>>>#1, I didn't realize there were belly tanks (thought all fuel was carried in the wings),

Many (if not most) airline aircraft have a fuel tank in the "wing box" section, basically underneath where the wing is joined to teh fuselage...

There are undoubtedly some that don't....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

L-188

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:04 pm

I have seen plenty of 737's that look like they have a pretty good leak from the center section.....turns out it was just condensation from overnight parking that had finally collected enough to run out between the joints between the panels down there.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dl757md

Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:50 pm

There can be leak in a fuel tank and the plane can be dispatched for a revenue flight. The technician must evaluate the leak per the AMM and determine if it is within limits. Leaks are classified in the Boeing manuals as stains, seeps, leaks, and running leaks. This is determined by cleaning the leak area with the tanks full and waiting 15 minutes before evaluating the leak. Then depending on the area that is leaking and the classification of the leak the plane is either grounded, or dispatched with a schedule of further inspections to reevaluate the leak to insure that it doesn't fly with a leak that is out of limits.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

pilotpip

Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:42 pm

DC-9s have anywhere between 3 and 5 tanks from what I've experienced. The wings and center tank are common on all models. ABXs -40s have a forward aux tank in addition. I've also seen some with an aft aux tank as well.

Many larger aircraft will have 6 or 7 fuel tanks in the wings, fuselage, and even tail. With those the computers usually handle fuel distribution when I'm filling them up.
DMI

avt007

Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Keep in mind the belly is the lowest point, and condensation (or fuel) will run downhill until the lowest spot and drop off. Just because a fluid appears at some spot on the airframe, doesn`t mean that`s where the source is. Airflow, gravity, all sorts of things can move fluids around. F-28s often have the left hand side of the fuselage and stubwing covered in oil, making it look like there is a bad leak in the stubwing. But there is no oil in the fuselage or stubwing! It`s all being sprayed there by the breather. More than one apprentice (including myself) has opened up panels trying to figure out where it`s all coming from.  Smile