Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tarzanboy
Topic Author

Dash 8 Tailstrike Angle

Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:59 am

guys what pitch attitude on the Adi would the dash 8 300 have a tailstrike??

any body flies the dash 8 out there guys? please tell me if the pilot can rotate to 5 degrees and leave it there until getting airborne before pulling it up further...thanks

Airbus Lover

RE: Dash 8 Tailstrike Angle

Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:32 am

Wow Tarzanboy you're back. It's been a while since I saw you.

However your tailstrike phobia isn't gone yet... Is everything alright?  Nuts

fspilot747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:41 am

Dude, give it a friggen rest.

LineMechQX

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:04 am

What am I missing about Tarzanboy here?

fspilot747

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:17 am

Tarzanboy has a fetish for tailstrikes. He used to post a thread like everyday (or more) about tailstrikes some months back, and soon became a royal pain. And now he's back to his old tricks again. At one point, you'd have like 10 diff. threads by him on the same page, all on tailstrikes this tailstrikes that.

It's also interesting how particular his questions are considering he's no pilot: "please tell me if the pilot can rotate to 5 degrees and leave it there until getting airborne before pulling it up further...thanks"

Tarzan, get over it dude.

FSP

[Edited 2004-10-31 02:19:15]

Inbound

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:13 pm

well seeing as I live in the same country as "Tarzanboy" and I fly a Dash8-300, I figure I'll give it a shot.

on T/O, with GA selected on the power levers, the flight director indicate 9 degrees for a take off.

on landing, I'm not sure what bombardier's limit is, but at our company, we try not to flare above 5 or 6 degrees...otherwise the "unemployment light" will come on in the cockpit.

I remember your posts getting deleted last year..I hope you get this message before it happens again.

happy landings.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

Starlionblue

Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:37 pm

When I sat in the jumpseat of an SK Dash-8 Q400 landing at SVA ( Big grin ), the Captain said they needed to keep pitch under 7.5% or they risked a tailstrike.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

avt007

Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:34 am

The "unemployment light" Inbound referred to is the "frangible switch" mounted on the fuselage right where it hits the ground if you over-rotate. The switch breaks, opening the circuit, and illuminating the warning light in the cockpit.

CFIjames

Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:56 am

Friend of mine flies Dash 8's for peidmont (us airways express) last week the capt over-flared during landing and striked the tail. He said the 300's especially you cannot flare to aggressivly. He had to fill out a whole bunch of forms, hope it doesnt fall on him, he was the PNF at the time.

I dont mean to add to tarzanboy's problems. This will be the only post to the topic  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
There are 3 simple rules for making a perfect landing every time. Its a shame that no one knows what they are.

futureualpilot

Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 am

CFI...if your friend was the PNF, why was he performing the landing? I though the PF flew the aircraft while the PNF did comms and such?
Life is better when you surf.

CFIjames

Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:01 am

Thats exactly my point, he was not flying at the time, so he's hoping nothing comes of it, but he was still required to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork. He said the capt liked to land the airplane like a 172, approaching a full stall, and that sooner or later he expected it.
There are 3 simple rules for making a perfect landing every time. Its a shame that no one knows what they are.