Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Mechs: What's Your Favorite Aircraft Tool?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:42 pm

As the topic says what is your favorite tool? I'm mainly talking about tools that you own but wouldn't mind hearing about unusual bigger tools that your employer owns. Also what cool tools have you modified or made for those instances when there just isn't the right tool for the job?

I'd have to say that mine is my Snap-On tools 6" reversible safety wire pliers with the tigerwave jaws. They fit in pretty tight places and the tigerwave jaw doesn't nick the wire like diamond toothed jaws do.
Another favorite is the MAC 120 degree angle grinder. Small but very powerful and the angle of the head allows it to reach areas a straight or 90 grinder can't reach.

I've made a lot of tools but my favorite and probably most often used is a 727 gear pin with a about a 4" long piece of 1" round brass on the end for a brass hammer. There's also the 2X4 with a handle carved on one end for PRSOV changes. It comes in handy on most PRSOVs but it was indispensable on the L-1011 PRSOV.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

NKP S2

RE: Mechs: What's Your Favorite Aircraft Tool?

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:32 pm

Too many to list, but one '"tool" that really stands out is a set of 11 X 17 inch hand-drawn diagrams ( which we laminated for durability ) of 737 overheat elements superimposed on a top-view 737 sillouette. Drawn in different colors with each diagram showing each loop in isolation ( left wing body, right wing body etc ) with each element labeled and connection points shown in their approximate location, and with it's connecting rack pins shown at the M279. Really handy for fast, and easilly readable wringing out of loops in dark E&E bays.

Ahem....Disclaimer: "for reference only"

I also made a set of long-reach ( 12 inch ) pin/socket connectors in various pin/socket sizes ( using stiff wire with heat shrink ) for connecting hard to reach racks to multimeters ( or jumping ) without having to yank adjacent boxes for room for my arm.

DC10GUY

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:04 pm

That's easy ........................................... My pen.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

IFixPlanes

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:15 pm

Also Pen.
... and good Eyes to find the right CB in Airbus Cockpits to fix pseudo Faults.  Wink/being sarcastic

Ingo
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

dl757md
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:17 pm

LMFAO!  Laugh out loud DC10GUY welcome to my respected user list.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

Venus6971

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:59 pm

Common sense and being lucky .
I would help you but it is not in the contract

troubleshooter

Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:47 pm

I love my shiny new HAZET ratcheting srewdriver. One of the most important tools for line maintenance.

But the good old hammer is on the list, too. One size fits all. Hehehehe...
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

IFIXCF6

Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:21 pm

My favorite tool is a set of 1/4" drive universal sockets (Snap-On, spline).

DC10GUY

Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks Dl 757 md dude ! Really my most important tool is my Snap-on "flip flop" screw driver.( Phillips on one side common on the other ). And my 2 "C" cell mag lite ....
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

MD11Engineer

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:06 pm

The one that is best suited to the job at hand.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Whiskeyflyer

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Best tool
common sense and use of logic to trouble shoot a problem (not changing boxes all over the place) oh ya and my LED head mounted torch.

not a tool but use of a tool................
we had an excellent JT3 & 8 powerplant engineer (now sorry to say deceased) who had one eye injured in a hunting accident in such a way that it was completly white.
We where often called on to evaluate engines and do boroscope inspections, so he would arrive at new customers with the boroscope in hand and ask

"So are we buying or selling this engine............. you chose the eye to use"

PS An apprentise is a good tool to clean up spills and open stuck toilet valves and motors.

gocaps16

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:14 pm

Safety-wire pliers.....

Kevin

UAcsOKC

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:28 pm

My eyes- the most important tool for any work on an aircraft.
I love the rumble of a 727 takeoff in the morning!

B747FE

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:29 pm

Ratcheting screwdriver and a reliable mag lite 2 cells are always with me.

Regards,
B747FE.
"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime"

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:31 am

Four Cell Maglite.
Leathermans Plier  Big thumbs up
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

boeing767mech

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:34 am

That's easy

My flashlight, makes walking thru a dark 737/757 a little less painful. Since I'm 6'3 and the IFE screens are less that 6 foot.

David
BOS
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

AvionicMech

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:13 am

It has got to be my Leatherman 'Wave', I could not do without it. I must use it almost every hour of the working day, whether it is for opening a cb panel or card file or for opening those annoying milk cartons when the plastic tab breaks off leaving you only one way in with the knife.  Big thumbs up

Avionic Mech

Christian

Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:40 am

As we say in Sweden: "Pundar-mejsel",

or in english: a regular screwdriver, I use that a lot.

I know, that I don't work with aircrafts, but cars is not so far away...

/Christian
If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough

NKP S2

Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:57 am

...oh ya and my LED head mounted torch

Yes, definately gotta have a headlamp, though I prefer the light of a regular incandescent bulb, short battery life notwithstanding.

Leatherman ( super ) and AA 'Mini-Mag'.

My well-worn 3 D-cell Mag light, nice light for walk-arounds, but a bit heavy on the belt. Nice club though Smile I can see why it's the police-brutality weapon of choice.

Long-ass needle nose pliers.

cheekie747girl

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:10 am

3 items (listed in order of importance): Pen, Leatherman (super) and Snap-On multi-bit screwdriver.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Big Boeing Birds are Best

G4Doc2004

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:16 am

Don't forget the good old B.F.H.! (big f#$%ing hammer) Makes ANY part fit!
"Failure to prepare is preparing to fail"--Benjamin Franklin

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:46 am

Snap-On four way angle flank drive wrenches..... the best!

SkydrolBoy

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:50 am

hey guys dont forget about the left handed screwdriver.......lol

My personal favorites are my Snap-on Flip-Flop screwdriver and my Pelican SuperSaberlite (10X brighter than a maglite)

CRJ200Mechanic

Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:04 am

I would have to say my snap on flat tip screwdriver. Its a pry bar, scraper, hammer, chisel, alignment tool, and of course to screwdriver

My favorite tool used to be my leatherman wave until one day I shocked the crap out of myself. On the RJ's there is a slot next to the contacts on the sidewall lights you have to press to get the bulb out. Thats what I get for not paying attention :-0
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

greasespot

Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:32 am

I cannot believe no one has mentioned a woodpecker.....to remove painted in panel screws and failing that easy outs......oh and a flip flop screw driver....
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

OzLAME

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:55 am

I have this Snap-On right-angle screwdriver with a one-way bearing in the handle, it comes with #2 Philips, slotted and Pozi-drive tips. The amount of torque I can put through that thing onto a screw head is amazing. I used it once to remove the fuel tank access panels from a DC-3. Those screws had been in there for years and years, but this s/d got them out for me.
Monty Python's Flying Circus has nothing to do with aviation, except perhaps for Management personnel.

avt007

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:16 am

Sorry Mag lite fans, but you should ditch them . I have had several, and each one had intermittent connections in them , and each was not bright enough.
Hands down, the best I`ve seen is my Makita 7.2 volt flashlight. Far brighter than a Maglite, it can reach the horizontal stab on a Dash 8 on a rainy night, and you can actually see damage on the boots! A rotating head and the fact that you can stand it up or lie it down and it stays in place makes it great for hands free work. However, it has one drawback- the plastic does not like skydrol. But trust me, it blows away anything Maglite makes. And 10 years of nightshift backs that up.
As for real tools, the Snap-on T-handle ratcheting screwdriver is great. The torque you can get on a screw is great, and the angle of your wrist is far more comfortable. Try one out!

777wt

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:45 am

Quoting Avt007 (reply 26):

How about the Surefire A2 Aviator flashlight? I have one I use.

3 LED's for long battery life and one bright bulb to light up the tip of a 747 tail at night.

The downside? Expensive and the batteries are specific type, Not like AA's or C cells.
I get them in batches inside of ordering them when I need it.

Use the high beam to light up the range of a 747 tail, that will last only a hour. The low beam lasts a long them using the LED's.

Read about it here:
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/..._disp/displ/prrfnbr/900/sesent/00#

amtrosie

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:13 am

I have to say its a tie between my AA cell mag light(fits in my mouth, so I have both hands), and my Snap-on "pistol-grip" ratcheting screwdriver with the anti cam-out bits. These are the REAL DEAL. Any one who says BFH scares me @#$$#@less. I have witnessed too many hacks destroy an item, making it 10 times for the poor soul who has to fix the damage. That being said----nothing like a 48 ouncer to "budge" that corroded for-god-knows-how-long part. The flank-drive wrenches are great, but the mar the surface of al. B-nuts. I work on scuba dive gear as well, and those wrenches get loose some totally stripped hoses, etc. I don't think there are any bigger butchers than a diver getting ready to go in.
Whiskeyflyer, I loved the story. Characters like that are few and far between.

LMP737

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 am

My favorite tools are my set of Snap-On dog bones and my Streamlight flashlight. Could not imagine life without them.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

avt007

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:07 am

Amtrosie-learn from my mistake- do not crawl around a skydrol soaked hell hole, then put your mini mag in your mouth! It burns somewhat, and tastes like hell. Next great tip- Coke is pretty good at washing out the taste of the skydrol.

troubleshooter

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:19 pm

Avt007:

That´s why some people invented headlamps...  Wink/being sarcastic
Always good to have them in the toolbox!
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

avt007

Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:13 am

I`ll add another great purchase- Snap-on "stubby" wrenches. These things are great. I do a lot of pitot static work, and these short wrenches are the best for working behind the panel. Just try and swing a standard length 9/16 or 11/16 around behind the panel and you'll know what I mean. They are long enough to loosen any AN fitting unless some twit graunched it on with his Craftsman wrench. Well worth every penny. Other companies make them, too, it's the length that matters, not the manufacturer.

DeltaGuy

Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:58 am

Really my most important tool is my Snap-on "flip flop" screw driver

Dc10Guy, is that flip-flop perhaps designed by John Kerry and company?  Laugh out loud

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Tarantine

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:23 am

I am not a mechanic, but if I were my favorite "tool" would be the time clock, clocking out for the day  Smile

amtrosie

Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:28 am

Hey Avt007,
I already have. That is why my light is taken from the holster by the lamp end ONLY!! My rule of thumb is simply not to grab the tapered end unless my hands are cleaned--preferably with alcohol. Skydrol is not the only fluid I don't want in my mouth.
AS for tools, I bought a set of ratcheting "T" handles from Snap-on. They have been great for some very hard to reach jobs. My "stubby" wrenches are used all the time too.

atlamt

Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:35 pm

I kind of surprised nobody has mentioned gearwrenches. They have made my job so much easier.
Fwd to MEL and Placard

320tech

Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:45 pm

Gear wrenches are great. I've got a set of double box end Gear wrenches that I use all the time. Too bad they don't make more sizes.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

HAWK21M

Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:52 pm

Quoting 777WT (reply 27):
Surefire A2 Aviator flashlight

Is it more frequently used compared to the Maglite.
regds
MEL

ExPanAmer

Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 am

I thought maglites were technically not approved because they are not built with a cage around the bulb. I know almost every mechanic has used/uses them, but has anyone ever got their " hand slapped " if an FAA inspector caught them? If this is true, maybe LED lights are also questionable. I work on cars now, and for the money, Sears sells LED glasses that , even though not the brightest, beats having a lamp in your mouth.For a larger lamp, I am very happy with the larger 12v-14.4v-18v lamps that use the battery packs.Long life, very bright, and rechargeable!

A/c train

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:06 am

Best tool is hard to say, most useful tools in my box are probably,
- Boeing spanner
- Ally drifts
- Big Craftsman GS
- Snap on ratchet rings
- Pneumatic duct tool !!!
As DL757md says, very useful for changing PRSOV's, especially when a/c is AOG !!
To anyone who says Aircraft mechanics are just glorified car mechanics, i'd like to see one of them change a pre-cooler in a 757 pylon or a PRSOV, when your outside or inside, its hot the ducts are a pain in the ass to close up too get the clamp round, your jamming your fingers and bleeding everywhere, your sweating like crazy, handling agents keep asking you 'how long, can you estimate????', !!!!!
on top of that, you have to keep putting DC4 on the e-seals so they stick in the ducts and make sure they stay there, make sure you dont drop anything down the fan air duct, not to mention the HP2 and 6 !!!!
When youre changing pneumatic components on old aircraft with dirt in the ducts making it hard to slide things around, i cannot explain how hot and frustrated you can get, patientce and perseveerance is the key !!!! trust me ive been there 4 times already in my career, not to mention many times in the hangar !!
regds a/c.

777wt

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:38 am

Quoting HAWK21M (reply 38):

I've been through 3 Maglites. 1 black and 1 blue ones, both double A's
Black one got worn out from constantly turning it on/off by the head and it fell out of my pocket twice.
Similar thing happened to the blue one except it didn't break, it had scuffs and scratches all over it, lost it when I was moving.

I still have one new blue double A's maglite I haven't used yet and one black maglite D-cell which I use around the house for night time.

And this Surefire A2 flashlight, I started using it recently and can't speak for it's long term but I can say it's well made and built.
It has a rear button for high beam aim which I would use to take a glance at something high on the aircraft for a short time, I can lock it to high beam too, same goes for low beam too.

The aim is good. When you roll a maglite on a machined surface, you see the beam point rolls in a oval or round like pattern and it varies with every maglite. The A2 doesn't.

It just feels a hair lighter than the maglite.

And it has one thing the maglite doesn't do well with, a clip.
I could put it in my front shirt pocket with the clip on and it wouldn't fall out when I hang inverted. Sure beats the maglite cheesy clip it comes with that always falls off rather easily.

According to the chart the A2 came with, it has 50 mins useable high output beam, or 20 hours useable low output beam.
And it uses two SF123A batteries.

CRJ200Mechanic

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:42 pm

I was interested in the surefire flashlight until I found out it was 185 bucks. I need a replacement for my maglite. I go through those things like water. that amount of money is kinda steep for a flashlight. Is it worth it?

LMP737

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:01 pm

CRJMechanic:

Maglites are okay for around the house but I have found they don't stand up well in the aircraft maintenance environment. May I suggest the StingerHP of Ultrastinger made by Streamlight. Great product that can stand up to the abuse offered by AMT's.

http://www.streamlight.com

777wt

Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:25 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (reply 42):

I got the surefire flashlight in Christmas '03 and it was $160 with free shipping.

I think it'll be worth it in the long run, just be sure you hold onto it and don't lose it  Wink/being sarcastic

DL_Mech

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:13 pm

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (reply 42):
I was interested in the surefire flashlight until I found out it was 185 bucks. I need a replacement for my maglite. I go through those things like water. that amount of money is kinda steep for a flashlight. Is it worth it?

When you spend $185 for a flashlight, you tend to keep a close eye on it. I've got a Stinger Streamlight and will never go back to the Mag.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

HAWK21M

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:24 am

Quoting ExPanAmer (reply 39):
I thought maglites were technically not approved because they are not built with a cage around the bulb

Whats the FAA rule for Flashlites.Out Here DGCA Insists min 4-cell Flashlight.
regds
MEL

CRJ200Mechanic

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:23 am

lmp737

Thanks for the help. I will definitly consider the streamlight. they look like good flashlights.

LMP737

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:48 am

CRJ200Mechanic:

No problem. Just remember, you will pay less at an authorized dealer than what streamlights list prices are on their web site.

CRJ200Mechanic

Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:14 am

Quoting LMP737 (reply 48):
you will pay less at an authorized dealer than what streamlights list prices are on their web site.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip