Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jmurman
Topic Author

Author In Need Of Informational Help

Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:02 pm

I had posted this in the Civil Aircraft section and it was suggested that I try over here.

Hello!

I just joined airliners.net, so please take it easy on this "newbie", ok?

I am authoring a fiction novel and need some help with an avaition related portion of my work.

Here is my situation. I have a love for aircraft, but very little current knowledge of the actual realities of flying.

My story is a fiction work and has 2 flights that I need help with.

First of all, how would a conversation between an ATC and a pilot flying VFR sound? This first flight is a Cessna 185 outside of Kinshasa International DRC. What would a pilot have to say to the ATC to identify himself and to proceed with his flight? I have this 185 as being South African registered with a ZU prefix, would this be correct?

Secondly is a flight from Brasilia Brazil to Kinshasa with a Brazilian registered Gullf Stream 500. I chose this aircraft because I needed a "business jet" with the legs to reach Kinshasa. Again its the process, how does one get permission to land and refuel, what would the conversation sound like. Also, how far out would the aircraft be before it would be recognized by the airport?

I apologize if these questions seem childish, but I like to write with a certain degree of accuracy, and this part of the story isn't my strong suit.

Thanks in adavance!

MidnightMike

RE: Author In Need Of Informational Help

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:58 am

Another website to get some research off is www.jetcareers.com, you may want to leave your email so that people can contact you....

Mike
NO URLS in signature

lowrider

Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:52 am

In some countries, (the US is one) a VFR aircraft need not talk to ATC or even have a radio if they stay clear of certain airspace types. That said, most VFR traffic consists of traffic advisories and vectors if in a radar environment, position reports and requests for these reports from ATC and other aircraft if in a non-radar environment. For a simulation, there is a program called "Com 1" that is designed to teach new pilots how to talk to ATC. It has been marketed various times under various names. Look on Ebay for a used copy. That may help you construct a more accurate dialouge. Also look for accident and incident transcripts of addition examples of verbage. The beginning portions are almost always normal.

I believe the South African registration prefix is "ZS-" followed by three characters. A seach of the photos here will yield useful examples.

Requirements to enter vary from country to country, as do the agencies involved. In the past I have contact the country's embassy and have always found them helpful. Most places I have been require some sort of notification or request to be faxed by a certain deadline (usually 24 to 48 hours prior to arrival) to the aviation authority and customs authority for the destination country. This is in addition to any visa requirements. Depending on the country, your results may vary. Country or origin is also a consideration. For repeat flights, it is usually possible to set up some type of permit or blanket authorization. It is possible to subcontract this work out to various companies that specialize in this sort of thing and have established relationships within the governments of various countries. Sorry I am not familiar with the requirements for your specific countries.

Because of this advance work, ATC is normally aware of your impending arrival and there are few special hoops to jump through. Some ATC facilities may request a permit number upon entering thier airspace, but I have had this experience only once.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your book.
Proud OOTSK member

Whiskeyflyer

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:04 pm

ZU is for the "experimental" aircraft in South Africa, home builds, micro lights etc. To fly a ZU over border you must get special permission to fly in the foreign state, by the foreign state. A C185 on ZU, I think not, stick to ZS.

You use a handling agent (Jepp etc) to get your clearances to go to DRC
Your biggest problem in Kinshasa is the complete rip off ground handling charges, the fact that you must speak French (I know english is aviation international language) but the blabber away in French and get the best clearances, the "commissions" that must be paid to get anything done. If this is a "Dogs of War" type story, why land at Kin, just land anywhere, pay off the local offical using your local contacts, DRC is a big, big country with no functioning government. Now why would somebody from Brazil fo to DRC? The Belgians have the DRC wrapped up (ex Belgian colony) Brazilians speak Portugese, best to fly onto Maputo or Angola, the exPortugese colonies.

Jmurman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 pm

Whiskeyflier and Lowrider

Thanks for your info.

Whiskeyflier, I choose Kinshasa because I need the Gulfstream to be refueled and a turnaround for the trip out. The C185 will meet the G500 at Kinshahsa Int. I will say that after seeing the photos of Kinshasa on the photos section here, it looks like to real toilet of a place...perfect for my purposes.

Whiskeyflyer

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:26 pm

just make sure they have JET A1 available (well its a book so I suppose its available) and yes it's a toilet of a place

Jmurman
Topic Author

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:51 am

Quoting Whiskeyflyer (Reply 5):
just make sure they have JET A1 available (well its a book so I suppose its available) and yes it's a toilet of a place

That's the beauty of writing, just add or subtract! Actually in the photos I've seen Kinshasa would have Jet A1, and I'm sure that they would try to extort as much as they could for it cost wise.