Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N243NW
Topic Author

A380 Overhead Bins - Turbulence Proof?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:35 am

Hi all-

After reading different posts about severe turbulence and hard landings, I've been wondering about aircraft overhead bins often spilling their contents during rough flying.

First of all, how do the latches actually fail, causing the bins to open? If this happens so often, why hasn't any aircraft manufacturer (as far as I know) designed its new aircraft with strengthened latches that will not come open during flight?

Also, will the Airbus A380 (which, last I heard of, was getting motorized overhead bins) be able to weather turbulence or bad landings without any threat of falling luggage to passengers?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

-N243NW bigthumbsup 
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

PhilSquares

RE: A380 Overhead Bins - Turbulence Proof?

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:59 am

The latches don't normally "fail". What actually happens is the fuselage twists due to the torque of the turbulence and the uneven loads on the wings/aircraft structure.

Since the overhead lockers are attached to structural members they too twist. This twisting sometimes results on uneven loads on the doors and the locking mechanism just isn't big enough to hold the door open. Generally, all that needs to be done is just re-close the door.

You will sometimes see the overhead lockers open in the case of a "less than smooth" landing. This torquing movement of the fuselage is the same reason you occasionally get a "rubber jungle" of masks on a "rough landing".
Fly fast, live slow

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:51 pm

If you look carefully next time you are on board a widebody, you will see the overhead bins seem to move independently of the seats, floor and galleys. This is because they are attached to the top of the fuse, while the rest is attached to the middle (floor). Quite an interesting effect, and this counters excessive stress on the bins.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dairbus

Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:47 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 2):
If you look carefully next time you are on board a widebody, you will see the overhead bins seem to move independently of the seats, floor and galleys.

This effect was very pronounced on the L-1011 the couple of time I flew on them with Delta. I swear the whole overhead was swinging back and forth as we did our takeoff roll. Quite a sight to see.
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

727EMflyer

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:00 pm

I wonder if on an aircraft such as A380 where space is not an issue if the bins and floors could actually be placed on independent floating mounts rather than hard-mounted to the structure. A good floating mount could act as a shock absorber and also counter any twisting or toruque in the fuselage.

N243NW
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks to everyone so far for your responses.

PhilSquares, I guess "fail" wasn't the exact word I had in mind when I was describing the bins popping open. So does this in a way reduce the twisting, torquing stresses on the bins (it seems that the stresses may be a lot greater if they twisted without something, in this case being the door, giving way)? It will be interesting to see if the A380's motorized bins will help prevent the doors coming open.

-N243NW bigthumbsup 
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

Starlionblue

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:33 am

Quoting 727EMflyer (Reply 4):
I wonder if on an aircraft such as A380 where space is not an issue if the bins and floors could actually be placed on independent floating mounts rather than hard-mounted to the structure. A good floating mount could act as a shock absorber and also counter any twisting or toruque in the fuselage.

Maybe, but the bins don't really weigh a lot even full, and the designers could never be sure of how much they weigh.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SK A340

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:13 am

Quoting N243NW (Thread starter):
last I heard of, was getting motorized overhead bins

Why?!?!?! To me it sounds that this will only add weight and a more complicated design, both not good for the economy...

/Micke

lehpron

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:13 am

First of all, how do the latches actually fail, causing the bins to open?

During turbulence (or technically any situation where) the plane is bending and twisting along its length and span and height, fully-3D warping and stretching -- more than noramlly, its has to in order to survive a normal flight, it is what they are designed for.

During these movements, the space between a latcha-arm and the socket is goes in may become just wide enough where it pops open. I am sure the tolerances are small enough that you need not severe turbulence to have a bin pop open.

If this happens so often

You haven't experienced it first hand? No prob bob, neither have I.  Wink

why hasn't any aircraft manufacturer (as far as I know) designed its new aircraft with strengthened latches that will not come open during flight?

Certain things like the elasticity of an airplane are designed in. Some times idiot pax put a whole heck of a lot of things in the bin, so the bin is 'under pressure' to burst open -- it really will not take much movement to shake that loose.

Also, will the Airbus A380 (which, last I heard of, was getting motorized overhead bins) be able to weather turbulence or bad landings without any threat of falling luggage to passengers?

Motorized? Like retractable? Sounds overly complicated; but i have niether heard this before or know much about the bins configuration, so I cannot comment. Hope I answered your question some how.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

HorizonGirl

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:12 am

I saw a show on TV on the A380's over head bins.
They say they wont work. Wow!

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

jfkaua

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:09 pm

will the cabin be installed during the first flight of the A380? If so is the cabin yet installed? Any photos?

sonic67

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 pm

I saw the making of the 380 as-well. They mentioned that they weren't sure they where going to go with the motorized bin because of weight and complexity.

Greg  spin 

zvezda

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:55 pm

I seem to recall there have been cases of overhead bins detaching from the fuselage during severe turbulence. Is that right, or am I remembering something I dreamed long ago?

EconoBoy

Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:17 pm

I'd have thought that any tendency for the overhead bins to open or fail in turbulance is worsened by the huge bags people cram in these days. I thought it was 5kg for ech pax, but that seems to get frequently abused.

Whiskeyflyer

Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:41 pm

the question will be answered once Emirates get hold of the aircraft. I travel with them a lot and they love slamming the aircraft into the runway and the bins open (one memorable landing into Columbo, Sri Lanka last year over 75% of the bins popped on landing.............either the falling luggage will kill you or the roll filled with the unknown grey morass, they serve, will get you)

dl757md

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:30 pm

which, last I heard of, was getting motorized overhead bins

Another nightmare from marketing for mtc. So many times we get crap that just doesn't hold up but marketing thought it was cool and pax would like it so what the hey! They never consider how well it's built and if it will hold up to the hoards that use it. Pax don't like it when their electric seat recline features don't work, I wonder how their going to like it when they have to check their carry-ons because a bunch of bins are INOP. Every other time a pax tries to close the bin with too much junk in it the motor is going to burn out. To all the future A-380 mechanics out there: Have fun with those bins! At least it will mean job security for them. Unless of course Airbus and their customers wake up and smell the coffee. If not we'll be seeing a lot of XYZ Airlines' A-380 interiors are falling apart threads in the coming years.

Dl757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

jfkaua

Mon May 16, 2005 9:35 am

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 15):
Every other time a pax tries to close the bin with too much junk in it the motor is going to burn out.

I have a feeling there going to have some kind of resistance sensors... will probably break less bins as they just wont close if there is too much.. People won't be able to force them closed..