Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

norcal
Topic Author

What Is A Dual Annular Combustor?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:59 am

I have read that the CFM 56-7 has a dual annular combustor, and that this was the first engine to introduce this. How does this work and what are the benefits?

jdwfloyd

RE: What Is A Dual Annular Combustor?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:01 pm

May want to take it to the Techy page, would have more help from those guys.

AA737-823

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:22 pm

Well, I'll do my best.
I can tell you what an ANNULAR combustor is.
First, a can combustor. It's round. It's small. Jet fuel is sprayed in. Fire is started. BANG. These are typically arranged in a circle, about six of them in a jet engine. The exhaust coming out of them powers the turbine, which in turn runs the compressor section at the front of the engine.
Now, an ANNULAR combustor is a little different. Instead of six equally spaced cans, an ANNULAR combustor basically forms a ring... a circle around the shaft of the engine. It's one LARGER combustion chamber. It's lighter. Cheaper. Lasts longer. But is harder to work on.

Now, a DOUBLE ANNULAR must be (get the impression I am guessing here???) some sort of twin-annular arrangement. Not quite sure how that would work. I suspect it's a variation in the shape of the combustion chamber itself.

Hope this gives you a least a foundation of understanding. Otherwise, GOOGLE IT!

norcal
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:26 pm

Yeah I sent it over to the techy page, hopefully someone over there will know. I know about Annular, can, and annular/can burners, I just have never heard of a dual annular before

iwok

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Might have something to do with pre-combustion and combustion stoichiometries. I'll look for this on the techy forum.

-iwok

FredT

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:48 am

It is simply two annular combustors placed concentrically. The grand idea was, IIRC, that at low power settings you can have the fire lit in just one of them, thereby improving efficiency at all power settings by being able to optimize the design of the combustion chambers better.

I think it was a failure as well. Again IIRC, SAS were pretty alone in ordering their aircraft (B736?) with this option and it created problems for them down the line.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

MD11Engineer

Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:13 am

The big advantages of a dual annular combustors are:
a) reduction of fuel consumption
b) reduction of NOx emissions.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Yikes!

Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:57 pm

I thought this was the techie forum??? What am I missing?

Great link, BTW.

backfire

Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:50 am

'Annular' means 'ring-shaped'.

Dual-annular combustors, as the name indicates, contain two combustor rings. CFM developed the DAC engine to reduce gaseous NOx emissions mainly by switching off some of the combustors in the inner ring of two when they are not required.

DACs address the differing engine fuel combustion requirements of the various phases of flight, in order to cut emissions. Such an engine can employ all its combustor domes, or only some of them, depending on whether full or idle power is required.

Both the CFM56-5 and CFM56-7 had DAC versions, although the -7 suffered early problems with vibration affecting launch customer SAS.

Rolls-Royce subsequently looked into simplifying the DAC engine by using a single-annular combustor but designing a staged fuel-injection system. Rolls claimed that the NOx emission reductions achievable with this design would improve on those available through DAC technology.

gigneil

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 2):
Now, a DOUBLE ANNULAR must be (get the impression I am guessing here???) some sort of twin-annular arrangement. Not quite sure how that would work. I suspect it's a variation in the shape of the combustion chamber itself.

Twin and double are somewhat different.

The GEnx will have a twin-annular pre-swirled combustor, but GE still refers to it as an advanced single annular designed.

N

troubleshooter

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:11 pm

Here you can see a typical cross sectional view of a dual annular combustor:
http://roger.ecn.purdue.edu/~propulsi/propulsion/images/jets/basics/combust.jpg

Where is the other thread gone? I think we had discussed this question a few days ago...
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

amtrosie

Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:17 pm

Troubleshooter, Can you repost the links. They didn't come up.

F-WWAI

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:04 am

aeroguy

Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:10 am

Perhaps the end of this thread might be helpful as well: 777 GE-90 "dome" Combustion (by QANTAS747-438 Mar 22 2004 in Tech Ops)