Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bsergonomics
Topic Author

Mx - WAN For Reducing Turnaround Times

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:44 am

Calling all Maintenance people...

I read a proposal today for an addition to the maintenance system and I'd like your feedback...

The scenario is this:

The aircraft lands with a fault. While it's still taxiing to the stand, the aircraft sends a databurst to the maintenance system, informing it of what is the problem (or, at least, the raw data so that the ground system can work out what is the problem). The hangar system then tells the engineers not only what the problem is, but what tools and skills are required to fix it.

Realistically, what reduction in turnaround time could this system offer and (for the Mx peeps now in management) what magnitude of cost saving could this offer to an airline?

Thoughts on a postcard, please...
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

air2gxs

RE: Mx - WAN For Reducing Turnaround Times

Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:17 pm

ACARS is already doing that. The flight crew sends a message via ACARS to interested parties (maintenance, ops, etc.) with any pireps and maintenance responds as required. In fact ops is all over any problem that may be restrictive. They sometimes read the messages before we do and are asking questions before the plane lands.

bsergonomics
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:32 am

Sorry - had a mental week at work, so I haven't been able to get back to you.

Although I've never used ACARS, I understood that it simply told the engineers more or less what the problem is (please correct me if I'm wrong). The emphasis of the proposal (which, I will admit, wasn't clear from the original post) is to reduce turnaround times by telling the senior engineers who from the team would be most appropriate for that particular job. At the same time, it would tell the junior (i.e., less experienced) engineers which tools/spares/equipment they will need to do the job, thus reducing the opportunities for unpreparedness. The eventual goal of the proposal is to integrate this system with everything from hand-held, wireless manuals and training tools to stores/supply management and manufacturers' failure rate analysis systems.

I must confess that my first impression was that, while in theory it seems an excellent idea, it would eventually be used by airlines to reduce the skills level and training for the lower levels of engineer (i.e., basic grades). One of the major concerns here is that if the junior, basic grades aren't getting the proper training, once they become senior engineers, they won't have the knowledge and skills to deal with complex problems.

Again, I'd appreciate your thoughts on a postcard...
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

avioniker

Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:51 pm

AMOS does what you're talking about and it can be retrofit into any aircraft with self contained BITE and ACARS.
I believe Honeywell makes the package.
Talk to someone at America West. They were talking about installing it in 2001
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533