Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC-10
Topic Author

Little Things That Annoy Mech's

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:13 pm

I work in Maint Control and a couple of things that annoy me are:-

1. Being ACARS'd for sports results, as if we have nothing else to do.

2. Being ACARS'd for tech advice by an a/c in flight, doing the research, sending back the info and then recieving a msg in reply saying "We'll leave it 'till we get on the ground".

greasespot

RE: Little Things That Annoy Mech's

Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:02 pm

People who strip screw from panels when taking them out and then re-use them...therefore ensuring that to get them out next time we have to drill or use a woodpecker...

Or showing up at work and being handed a box of parts andtols these are from the galley that you were not there to dis-assemble but are now expected to put back together

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

DL_Mech

Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:25 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 1):
People who strip screw from panels when taking them out and then re-use them...therefore ensuring that to get them out next time we have to drill or use a woodpecker...

.....only to break off an EZ-Out in the drilled head and having to use a pencil grinder (w/ a diamond tip) to get it out.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:25 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 1):

Thats def Irritating.
Its tough removing Worn headed screws.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

midnights

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 am

Being called out to an arriving flight for a maint. problem and being handed a cocktail napkin with 2 or 3 write-ups on it while the logbook is clean.... we have a saying here at AA Maint...."no problem to big, no problem to small, no problem in the logbook, no problem at all".

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:12 am

Quoting Midnights (Reply 4):
no problem to big, no problem to small, no problem in the logbook, no problem at all

I like that saying.
If its not reported How are Items replaced when a snag occurs without FSR entry.
regds
MEL

northseatiger

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:31 am

When you come in at 6am and night shift give you an L2 fuel tank to fit !!!!

Regards NST
T's And P's look good....Rotate

midnights

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:35 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
If its not reported How are Items replaced when a snag occurs without FSR entry

Most of us just bite our tongues and fix the problem and make an entry ourselves in the logbook....( Maint. entry: filght crew reports... that sort of thing) but if a flight crew comes up to me and says...hey..i didn't put this in the book but my seat cushion is really thin (or something to that nature...not a safety of flight issue or passenger convenient item)...then It will not get addressed until it's written up. We figure that if it's not important enough for the Capitan to write it up..Then it's not an important enough for me to deal with....Moral Of this story is...no matter how small the item is...write it up so we HAVE to address it!

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:40 am

Quoting Midnights (Reply 7):
Moral Of this story is...no matter how small the item is...write it up so we HAVE to address it!

Agreed.But if a snagged item is not reported & does not come under the Mx check on hand.If the same is replaced,either the Pilot has to snag that entry so Mx can enter the data P/N, S/N etc.
Else how would Mx know that item was had a snag if it was not entered in the FSR book.
regds
MEL

longhauler

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:44 am

At my airline, when you right up a snag in flight, you also put on your name and employee number, that way, if it is not clear, Maintenance can call you up at home for further clarification.

After a couple of times with the bother of their calls, you soon learn to be very precise and clear as to what the problem was!!!!!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

VC-10
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:46 am

Quoting Midnights (Reply 7):
But if a snagged item is not reported & does not come under the Mx check on hand.If the same is replaced,either the Pilot has to snag that entry so Mx can enter the data P/N, S/N etc.

You make the log book entry yourself.

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:01 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 10):
You make the log book entry yourself

But if the snagged item is not part of the check on hand.Won't the question be raised as how Mx detected it.When that check was not called for.
Eg Engine EGT Gauge Fluctuating.Mx would not be doing a Runup at Layover check.
regds
MEL

aogdesk

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:18 am

What really gets under my skin is when a pilot writes something up and then adds his/her own little note, ie. "Suspect HP bleed valve"

"You're a pilot, you get paid to fly em. You wouldn't appreciate me telling you how to fly, don't tell me how to fix 'em. Most of the time you're wrong anyway."

air2gxs

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:35 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 11):
But if the snagged item is not part of the check on hand.Won't the question be raised as how Mx detected it.When that check was not called for.
Eg Engine EGT Gauge Fluctuating.Mx would not be doing a Runup at Layover check

Quite simply, "As reported by flight crew..." or "Verbal from flight crew...". Let the FAA or your local regulatory body deal with the flight crew if they catch the verbage. Just remember, if you are made aware of a problem on the aircraft, whether verbally or written, you need to take action to rectify the problem.

And if you are working an aircraft, you need a reason to be working the aircraft. To use your example Hawk, if you have the EGT indicator out of the panel, you need to be able to explain (hopefully with a writeup - whether the flight crew's or you own) why the indicator is out it's home.

atlamt

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:50 am

Personally I cringe when a flight attendant says "hey this was broken but we fixed it". Usually that means we wrapped a few hundred feet of masking tape around it. ARGH!!!! Just write it up let us fix it.
Fwd to MEL and Placard

Vain~

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:03 am

Pilots using 3/4 of the available space in the logbook, with the amount of text that could easily fit on one line, same for the signature, just use your initials or a SMALL signature, don't use the entire page for your big custom designed retarded signatures with lots of curls, thank you
I've to write down all my mx-checks there, leave some room for me!!

And whats been said before "Yeah the aircraft is OK, only this and that don't work but we didn't write that down" , if you don't take the time to write it down, im not spending much time looking in to it.

kaddyuk

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:26 am

My personal fav, "the call light in the economy cabin isnt working..."

WHICH ONE?!?!?!

or another good 'un

"Are you an engineer?"

No, i'm just stood here in an engineering uniform, wearing a tabbard with "Engineer" written on the back for the fun of it.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

midnights

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:57 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 8):
Agreed.But if a snagged item is not reported & does not come under the Mx check on hand.If the same is replaced,either the Pilot has to snag that entry so Mx can enter the data P/N, S/N etc.
Else how would Mx know that item was had a snag if it was not entered in the FSR book

We don't know...If a pilot tells me about a problem with a system or component and follows it with " I didn't put it in the book", I will either make him put it in or I will do it myself. Another problem is flight cews have certian aircraft for several legs and at the end of the day they have a list of items that occured throughout the day but didn't want to write them up to aviod a delay at an outstation where there is only contract maint.

UAL Bagsmasher

Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:54 pm

CRJ flight attendants who don't know how to close the pax door resulting in damaged striker seals. ARGHGHGH!!!! That's got to be my biggest pet peeve at the moment...

saintsman

Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:53 pm

One from my airforce days. Carrying snags all week and then reporting them on a Friday afternoon. The aircrew had a free weekend and we had to work  Angry

Molykote

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:28 pm

(1) Airbus Manuals

(2) APUs

(3) Engineers
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:12 pm

Quoting Air2gxs (Reply 13):
Just remember, if you are made aware of a problem on the aircraft, whether verbally or written, you need to take action to rectify the problem

Its very Different out here,Theres no Verbal reporting allowed,All communication on Snags have to be thru FSR [Flight Sector Report]book Pilot Defect Report [PDR].
Mx cannot say verbally informed by Pilot.

Another Annoying Example is when the Flying crew continue to sit in the Cockpit,sipping on Coffee & eating sandwiches & then remembers a snag just a few minutes prior to departure.Maybe 45 minutes earlier would have been helpful.Im an AME not a Magician.

regds
MEL

IFixPlanes

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:50 pm

2 years ago I read this in a 737 log book:

"Passenger saw a gap on the left wing"

I ask for details and get the answer:
"I don´t know, the FA told me about the complain of the passenger"
While saying that, he enters the crew bus and leave.

BTW: We found nothing wrong.

Ingo
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:33 pm

Quoting IFixPlanes (Reply 22):
"Passenger saw a gap on the left wing"

Are you serious,was that a PDR Entry.
regds
MEL

aogdesk

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:39 pm

Another: Crews that continue to sit in their seats when the airplane is broken and I need access to their seats. Particularly when THEY'VE broken it or they're just being primadonnas.

(Had to get particularly nasty one night with a capt who refused to get out of the airplane one night after grounding it for something stupid)

VC-10
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:55 pm

I just ask them to leave. If they don't. advise them part of any delay will be attributable to them. That gets them moving.

Tod

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:14 am

Quoting ATLAMT (Reply 14):
when a flight attendant says "hey this was broken but we fixed it".

Does this mean that I shouldn't be doing infight repairs on PSU's, bin latches, etc. using silverware and a tape measure as tools anymore.

Actually turned down the opportunity to attempt to unclog a lav last week during a AMS-YVR trip. yuck 

Quoting Molykote (Reply 20):
(3) Engineers

Hey now, I resemble that remark.

Tod  tongue 

aogdesk

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:35 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 25):
I just ask them to leave. If they don't. advise them part of any delay will be attributable to them. That gets them moving.

What finally got him going was when I ground my glycol soaked boots into his seat cushion. (It was a windshield wiper problem, had to lean out the L2).

Funny how he never bid the trip/line again.....

avioniker

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:47 am

Tod
That's exactly what it means...

Quoting Tod (Reply 26):
Does this mean that I shouldn't be doing infight repairs on PSU's, bin latches, etc. using silverware and a tape measure as tools anymore.

Actually turned down the opportunity to attempt to unclog a lav last week during a AMS-YVR trip.

Tod
That's exactly what it means...

I have to add my displeasure with people who don't know there is an FAR Part 65 or 43 doing maintenance or "fixin' stuff".
There's too many reasons for those Parts to even begin listing here.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

Tod

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:29 am

Quoting Avioniker (Reply 28):
my displeasure with people who don't know there is an FAR Part 65 or 43 doing maintenance or "fixin' stuff".

OK, I'll keep my fingers back in Part 25 where they belong.

Tod sorry 

320tech

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:00 am

What really bugs me is when the IPC shows the part that connects to the part you need, and shows the part you want in dashed lines, with no indication of where to find it.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

amtrosie

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:09 am

tod:
I HIGHLY recommend you repair that clogged lav next time. Then you can experience the sheer pleasure that encompasses me while my face is over that putrid bowl. Also it would do wonders for those creative juices to experience the "real" airplane!!! Oh yeh, lets not forget that during those wonderful quick turns the Flight crew drops the last minute, "Somethings wrong with the lav can you look at it?"
Also, the "I had a warning light flash at me" in flight but I am not sure what it was for, can you look at it?"
I have always taken pride in my ability to read tea leaves, crystal balls, tarot cards. Some how the fixing a "ghost" problem always escapes me.

UAL Bagsmasher

Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:54 am

Another one of my favorites is trying to look for parts in IPC CH. 25. On the CRJ there are about 30 different effectivities for pax seats. Just to get ATA 25 to appear on the screen takes 2 or 3 minutes due to its size. Once you have it, it takes another half hour to find what you are looking for, only to find out we are out of stock anyway Wink

Tod

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:44 am

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 31):
I HIGHLY recommend you repair that clogged lav next time.

Thanks for the advice. Even though I play engineer for a living, I did learn a few things from my Dad (A&P for nearly 40 years) and one of those things I learned what to avoid.

Tod

DC10GUY

Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:46 am

Having to stop turning a bolt when it just starts to get tight again.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

LMP737

Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:22 am

Two things that irritate me to no end. When my fellow AMT's install a panel and think it's necessary to use every muscle in their body to torque the screws. If your the next guy to take the panel off you often find yourself grabbing valve grind compound. If that does not work a screw knocker and then finally a drill to drill out the offending screw/screws.

Then there's the chip detectors on the RB-211. Once again it's a case of AMT's using to much torque. The one that's really fun is the detector on the bottom that's accessed through the T/R. I call that one the nuckle buster.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

midnights

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:10 am

I took this topic to my coworkers here at DFW and they all said the same thing.....Pilots who constantly bug us asking how much longer??

Molykote

Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:01 pm

Quoting Tod (Reply 26):
Quoting Molykote (Reply 20):
(3) Engineers

Hey now, I resemble that remark.

Tod

Tod,

I (the author) too resemble that remark.
Engineer/mechanic/inspection relationships vary from  highfive  to  white  all depending on the people and the circumstances surrounding the problem. As an engineer I enjoy my working relationships but I also enjoy the opportunity to poke some fun at myself as a stereotype.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

notdownnlocked

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:46 pm

How about BIG things that annoy mechs?

OK You're on the plane fixing something from a layover or overnighter or even a through flight and the F/A's or pilots walk onboard and you hear a constant stream of questions such as these examples as soon as they see the color of your shirt whether you are finished or not but because you are onboard (and in their eyes you shouldn't be) you get these questions in rapid succession usually in the span of 2.231 seconds or less: Is the plane broken? Are we cancelled? When are we going home? Are we going? What is wrong? Do I need to call the gate agent? I will call the tower, Can we board? Should I hold off boarding? Ok the gate agent is on the way. Are you done yet? Why are you here? Gate agent shows up: What is wrong? Do I need to hold up boarding? I will call the tower. How much more time do you need. What time can we board? OK I will board first class only now (meaning ALL ABOARD!!!)What is the ready time for the plane? Will we have a delay? If you have worked the live flights at the gates you know exactly what I mean.

HAWK21M

Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:55 pm

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 24):
Another: Crews that continue to sit in their seats when the airplane is broken and I need access to their seats. Particularly when THEY'VE broken it or they're just being primadonnas

Ask them to leave,as they are holding up Snag Rectification.It works.

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 27):
(It was a windshield wiper problem, had to lean out the L2).

Why not from the Outside  Smile

Quoting 320tech (Reply 30):
What really bugs me is when the IPC shows the part that connects to the part you need, and shows the part you want in dashed lines, with no indication of where to find it.

Its quite Annoying trying to find a part thats not listed.

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 38):

To stop rapid questions.Just tell them that Mx will get back to them in xyz Minutes.
regds
MEL

aogdesk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:01 am

Quoting Notdownnlocked (Reply 38):
Are we cancelled? When are we going home? Are we going? What is wrong? Do I need to call the gate agent? I will call the tower, Can we board? Should I hold off boarding? Ok the gate agent is on the way. Are you done yet? Why are you here? Gate agent shows up: What is wrong?

In cargo ops, its no different...I've even had some administrators from some backoffice, non-airport related function call me and ask me what the problem is. If I told them what the problem was, would it really help? "Well, the right aileron servo is showing a jam detection. Will that help you?"

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 39):
Why not from the Outside

It was extremely cold, extremely windy, extremely snowy, and a cherry picker wasn't available. Much quicker...

Sabenaboy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:50 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 24):
Crews that continue to sit in their seats when the airplane is broken and I need access to their seats

Agreed, but sometimes, the inverse also happens.

When I (F/O A320) get to the cockpit, I find both seats occupied by mech's. They tell me that everything is fixed and that they just need to complete the paperwork.
So I go outside and wait for about 5 minutes. After that, the captain, VERY POLITELY asked them to please go and sit in the back or in their van (which has a small table to write) to complete the paperwork so that we, the crew, could prepare the cockpit for the departure, scheduled 30 mins later.

These mech's were very displeased with this request and did no effort to hide that, leaving the cockpit only after protest.

Now, I don't mind waiting for the mech's if they are still working in the cockpit, but making delay because these guys absolutely wanted to use the A320 cockpit tables for the paperwork, would have been absurd.

Respectfully,
Sabenaboy

A/c train

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:06 am

Flight crew who write up brake units that THEY believe are WTL, fellow engineers who dont use neverseez on borescope plugs/igniters. Crap stores systems were you can spend all night fixing a defect, troubleshoot down too the last stage just too find your nil stock on components. Careless caterers and baggage handlers who like too hit wing tips and dent doors and skins, but the cake taker of them all are previous shifts who are lazy and let work pile up and top it off with crap handovers.
Prime example are just basic wheel changes, my belief is that you assess a wheel on a night stop too make sure it will do another days flying without chord hanging out of it. this is not always the case so you end up changing main wheels with brake fans on a 1hr15 min turnround whilst dealing with inbound snags.

cancidas

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:25 am

Now, I don't mind waiting for the mech's if they are still working in the cockpit, but making delay because these guys absolutely wanted to use the A320 cockpit tables for the paperwork, would have been absurd.

not really obsurd, just make sure the delay is coded to MX instead of FC.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

VC-10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:21 am

I remember placing a delay on a 747 that had just come off a chk for a generator oil seal leak and the young FE asking what the problem was. When I told him he said, "You've had 24 Hrs to fix that".

If only I had known the day before it was going to start leaking after the engine run.

aogdesk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:24 am

That reminds me of another one: Young F/E's that are fresh out of school and think that they've learned everything. Grrrrrrrrrr.... Smile

MD11Engineer

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:09 am

Young F/Os, fresh from the military into the civilian world and gung-ho. They think that like in the military, they are officers and we at the most NCOs so that we'll have to jump and come running if the call. One American airline I worked with actually demands in their marshalling manual that the mechanic who walked the plane out has to give the pilots a "standard military salute" when waving the airplane off after disconnecting the headset.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

aogdesk

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:56 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 46):
"standard military salute"

Though 95% of our flight crews are good people to work with, I occasionally have a salute for those who believe that they're a little closer to God when they're at FL350. Its not a military salute though.

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 pm

Quoting Sabenaboy (Reply 41):
After that, the captain, VERY POLITELY asked them to please go and sit in the back or in their van (which has a small table to write) to complete the paperwork so that we, the crew, could prepare the cockpit for the departure, scheduled 30 mins later.

Agreed.If the Paperwork can be completed outside the Cockpit,it should,gives time to the Flt crew to prepare the Cockpit & save time.

Quoting A/c train (Reply 42):
fellow engineers who dont use neverseez on borescope plugs/igniters.

Thats one tough Annoy.

Another one would be realising that after the 1st leg of the Aircraft post night stop.Theres a Brake change due.Those Brakes are hot & transit time is 30 minutes.  Smile
regds
MEL

boeing767mech

Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:06 pm

Things that annoy me as a mechanic:

When is this going to be done??? I go illegal in a couple of minutes.......

Pilots playing with items already on placard and writing them up again

Napkin write ups....... If it isn't in the book it doesn't get fixed

Airbus Manuels

EX-TWA MD-80 GMFS problems

Other mechanics that have no business being mechanics that all they know is how to lick it and stick it and get it out the door. The ones that don't do any troubleshooting of a easy fix. They're better being painted yellow and a rope being tied to there ankles

Just a couple things that I hate

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty