Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Chris
Topic Author

Scrapping Of 757s

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:23 am

In the latest edition of Airliner World there is a picture of 757 G-MCEA ex-My Travel in the process of being scrapped at Lasham, England. V8-RBA ex-Royal Brunei is also to meet the same fate. I would have thought most 757s would have more life in them even if they were early production models. Does anyone have any more information on these two aircraft such as their hours/cycles? Perhaps one of the reasons is neglect at some point in their careers, in the case of G-MCEA I believe this is a former Eastern Airline aircraft.

Thanks, Chris

EMBQA

RE: Scrapping Of 757s

Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:55 am

Quoting Chris (Thread starter):
there is a picture of 757 G-MCEA ex-My Travel in the process of being scrapped at Lasham, England. V8-RBA ex-Royal Brunei is also to meet the same fate. I would have thought most 757s would have more life in them even if they were early production models.

Well, G-MCEA started life with Eastern Airlines back in 1983 and was the 20th 757 ever built. It's pushing 22 years old and I'm sure by now has racked up the cycles. My guess is it's just not economically sound to overhaul it for a new customer and it's worth more in spares.

V8-RBA is a little newer but not by much. It was the 94th 757 built and I'm sure it's being scrapped for the same reason.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

kaddyuk

Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:11 am

G-PIDS is still in service as an ex eastern airlines a/c... and that is airframe number 6 IIRC... So that one is even older!!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jid Webb

Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

greasespot

Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:26 am

Ummm do you really think thw owners are that stupid...IF there was a market they would have sold it....Since it is being scrapped i can assume that there is no market for it...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:53 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 3):
Since it is being scrapped i can assume that there is no market for it...

What about as a Freighter.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

CaptOveur

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:11 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
What about as a Freighter.

Might have had corrosion issues, or just nobody wanted it due to high time/cycles.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
Might have had corrosion issues, or just nobody wanted it due to high time/cycles.

It would have to be Structural reasons.I think so too.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Lemurs

Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:05 pm

Or, most likely, a combination of all the above. Early model, so heavier than later ones...high cycles, extensive maintnance costs, and the very likely possibility it's parts had a higher earning potential over the next few years than the aircraft itself.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Venus6971

Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:08 pm

It would have to be structure along with corrosion which would not make a D check worth the pain. Since it changed owners so many times with differant mx programs alot of things might have fell through such as timely compliance of AD's or not done at all or nobody ever took time to clean urine of the lavatories a great acft killer.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

LTU330

Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:30 am

From what I know about G-PIDS from former work colleagues, that is a bad aircraft ! Do they still perform D checks on 757s ? Here we do a lot of 757 and 767 heavy maintenance, and on the 757 we do up to C4 and SC8, which apart from the external paint strip, is pretty much a D check anyway !