Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tips Of Studying Aviation Notes

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:03 pm

Anyone having any Tips/Secrets to share on Methods of Studying Aviation notes.
Any method you found easy & helpful during your studytime.What frequency/Timing etc.
Any Tips would be Appreciated.
Since I work Night shifts.....What time would be ideal for me to study & how long.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

DCrawley

RE: Tips Of Studying Aviation Notes

Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:06 pm

MEL -

What are you studying? Just curious is it Mx related, pilot related?

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Mx related.
Currently B752SFs,B737NG & A320.A bit of Basics too at times.
regds
MEL

amtrosie

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:15 am

Mel,
Study one airframe at a time. Especially with Airbus and Boeing. Their design philosophy IS different and can mess you up. study one, getting into the flow of the plane and it's systems.

good luck!!

Jetlagged

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:01 am

Studying just before sleep is usually best, but that might not apply after a night shift. You may be too tired to get far. It also depends on how well adjusted you are to the shift pattern. All you can do is try studying before a shift and after and see which information you retain better.

Even better, study during your shift Big grin

As far as length of time, you have to listen to your own body. Once you get bored or distracted you'll only waste your energy forcing yourself to continue that day.

I find making my own notes as I read helps me remember things better too.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

AGM114L

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:08 am

I find studying in groups works best for me, but hide the beer or it will turn into some kind of BS sesion.
When I study on my own I usually like to get out of the house and study in the office during off hours. I primarily use flash cards and make repetitive lists over and over.
It also helps to incorporate studying in to your daily routine.
It always helps to remember that you are a professional, it is important to commit yourself to expanding your knowledge base, lives depend on your technical know-how. (WOW, that's my most profound thought of the week)
My Boeing can blow up your Boeing

charliecossie

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:20 am

My tips for studying:
Attend the course.
During the course, read the notes and listen to the instructor.
Later, go back to the hotel/home and eat/drink/go to sleep ready for the next day.
If you cannot understand what you were told during the day, bring it up first thing next day. YOU WILL NOT LEARN IT OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM!!
Pass the exams at the end of each module.
Sorted.

Do not attempt to learn about a plane before you go on a course because that will only make you look like a tosser when you mouth off at the instructor during the course and he has to correct you in front of your mates. The time to really learn a plane is after the course when you're actually working it.

SlamClick

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:28 am

Quoting AGM114L (Reply 5):
I find studying in groups works best for me, but hide the beer or it will turn into some kind of BS sesion.

I think this is a good one so long as you can find authentic answers to any questions that might come up during review/study. There are a small percentage of guys out there, even at the professional levels who will try to BS their way through something. You need to be able to get past any such events.

For me, I never fully understood an airplane until I tried to get ready to teach it. Once I realized that, I used that as a personal technique. I give myself little lectures on the systems and the procedures. If you can do this out loud without feeling like a fool, so much the better because any little stumble in the dissertation really stands out.

For operating the systems I really like a full-size mockup, even if it is only paper posters on the wall and ceiling. There is something very useful in teaching your hand and eye where to go for the isolation valve or the battery switch. Whenever possible I would get in a cockpit or a procedures trainer and read my book there.

The military has, at various times used "blindfold cockpit checks" as part of the syllabus. Really good for single-pilot stuff. If your hand can go straight to the item you don't use up any neurons thinking about where it is.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

AGM114L

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):
The military has, at various times used "blindfold cockpit checks" as part of the syllabus. Really good for single-pilot stuff. If your hand can go straight to the item you don't use up any neurons thinking about where it is.

I couldn't agree more, probably one of the most essential drills for any pilot. We fly alot at night and have to incorporate strict light disipline, can't even use a lip light and NVG's can't focus in close. Nothing is worse than when the sh*t hits the fan and time's being wasted looking for a switch, day or night.
My Boeing can blow up your Boeing

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:00 pm

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 3):
Study one airframe at a time

I do just that.Currently its B752SFs.

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 4):
Even better, study during your shift

I try a bit,but the free time is limited,but I try to pull out 45mins to an Hour every night shift.

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 6):
During the course, read the notes and listen to the instructor.
Later, go back to the hotel/home and eat/drink/go to sleep ready for the next day.
If you cannot understand what you were told during the day, bring it up first thing next day. YOU WILL NOT LEARN IT OUTSIDE OF THE CLASSROOM

What about revising the course notes at the hotel room.

What about method of Study.....
Read to Understand,sentencewise.
Read the topic 2-3 times over.
Refer many books on the topic simultaneously.

What method do you/did you employ to Study.

regds
MEL

charliecossie

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:15 am

I read the notes while listening to teacher.

If I don't get what I'm being told, I may question teacher immediately, think about it later and "suss" it or bring it up first thing next morning.

I have never taken my notes from the classroom. Really, not once in 30years...... After the course, they go straight in the bin.

I cannot sit in a hotel room and read notes. Absolutely nothing sinks in. In one eye, out the other. Almost all of the courses I have attended have had me in a hotel room (as opposed to home) so I go to the pub!

IMO, the only reason for attending a course is to pass the exam and get the approval. You don't learn the plane until you work it. A lot.

Stoicescu

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:28 am

For me is very important to have a fix schedule. I read the materials just moving through them the first time I don't go in depth too much so I will have some information about the Systems/Procedures/Maneuvers etc. Before the instructor actually talks to me about them. After I am somewhat familiar with what the material is I am learning each system step by step in depth(The next days I will do Induction System than Electric System etc.) Than each procedure and maneuvers, FARs etc. And do the questions after each chapter (very important) than if I feel I don't get something right I will put a sticky note on that page and I will come back to it later or ask my instructor.

I like SlamClick's idea about learning the stuff like you are planning to tech them I will try that also.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:21 pm

Quoting Charliecossie (Reply 10):
If I don't get what I'm being told, I may question teacher immediately, think about it later and "suss" it or bring it up first thing next morning.

I have never taken my notes from the classroom. Really, not once in 30years...... After the course, they go straight in the bin.

Amazing.You never felt that you need to brush up for the Exam.Was there anything which helped you concentrate on the Lectures & not drift into some Personal worry.

Is reading each sentencewise a good method.Or going over the notes till I've understood it a good way.
Just keen on knowing the different ways of Studying that works with all.trying to find the best method for myself.
Currently I read Each sentence at a time,mark the items on the related Diagram to the item in the sentence by numbers 1,2,3 etc...
Also do some sketch using coloured pencils toi differentiate between two closely attached components.

regds
MEL

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:22 pm

Any tips for studying on Screen rather than Hard copies.
regds
MEL