Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Don't Airplanes Have Washer Fluid? Photo

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:15 am

Ahh.. Call me ignorant but don't airliners have washer fluid sprayers to clean the windshield? And if so wouldn't the lack of fluid be a no fly situation?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Damien Chng

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

DLKAPA

RE: Don't Airplanes Have Washer Fluid? Photo

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:19 am

Negative and negative. Although using the upper escape hatch does seem a little strange to me, usually pilots just crack the window and pour water straight onto the windshield that way.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

TheBigOne

Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:31 am

Quoting DLKAPA (Reply 1):
Although using the upper escape hatch does seem a little strange to me, usually pilots just crack the window and pour water straight onto the windshield that way.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to open the windows on a 747. The exit hatches for pilots on the 747 model has always been overhead.
Reach for the stars - they are closer than you think!

AAR90

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:14 am

Used to have rain repellant fluid, but that was deactivated/removed a very long time ago. Reason given at the time was "environmental concerns."
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

ShyFlyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:17 am

I think what Eric was referring to was that on most aircraft, the side windows can be opened:

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu
MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Andre Pfitzner

I lift things up and put them down.

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:51 am

Quoting AAR90 (Reply 3):
Used to have rain repellant fluid, but that was deactivated/removed a very long time ago. Reason given at the time was "environmental concerns

What was the switch for that labeled? I was in the cockpit of a DC 10 and I remember it had an odd name, like windshield slime, or something like that.

[Edited 2005-12-03 03:15:54]

aogdesk

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:08 am

Boeing had Rainboe.........

Rain repellant is still around, just in a safer concoction.

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:27 am

Rain Repellant used on Boeing Aircraft was "RAINBOE" until it was discontinued due to concerns about Damage to the Ozone layer.

The B737NGs use Hydrophobic coatings on the #1L & R Windshields these days.

Although a replacement environmentally more friendlier replacement is said to be available.

Can anyone with B747 Experience confirm on the existing of sliding windows at position #2L & 2R.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

fr8mech

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:17 pm

The B747 does not have sliding windows. Escape is through the crew service door or the overhead hatch.

The B747 does have a windshield washer system. The nozzles are visible in the above picture. They are on either side of the centerline, forward of the windshield.

The system can be put on MEL. As I recall, it is a category C item, which is 10 days.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

PhilSquares

Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:26 pm

True, the 747 family has no sliding windows at all. The upper deck escape hatch is an emergency exit. Depending on the model of aircraft, you also have a number or inertia reels in the cockpit to aid egress.

There is also a windshield washer system that is installed on the aircraft. Works just like one in a car. It can be deferred for 10 days (Cat C). Also, the windows 1 L&R (front left and right) are also hydrophobic coated windows. The rain repellent was deleted years ago from the classic and IIRC wasn't even installed on the -400.
Fly fast, live slow

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:02 pm

Why wasn't the Sliding windows considered on the B747.Would'nt escape be easier thru them rather than the Escape Hatch.
regds
MEL

MissedApproach

Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:50 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Thread starter):
wouldn't the lack of fluid be a no fly situation?

They don't exactly have to deal with road spray, just rain.  raincloud 
Can you hear me now?

MD-90

Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:39 pm

L-1011s have a hatch and no sliding windows as well, correct?

charliecossie

Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:31 pm

The 747 windshield wash system is deactivated on at least 3 major operators. One British, one American and one Australian.
Many moons ago, I asked instructors why the 747 and Tristar had no DV windows. "Because you can see the wingtips without them" was always the reply, which is a true statement.

727EMflyer

Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:11 pm

Ok, here's a question on the use of the wipers...

On a C172, rain sheets off the windscreen quite efficiently thanks to that prop spinning only a couple feet away. I imagine a similar effect from airspeed alone on jets and faster prop twins... even at approach speeds. So do the wipers ever get used in flight, or are they mostly for ground ops? Thanks!

Matt72033

Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:33 pm

The 744 does have a washer fluid system, but the resevoir, if I remember correctly is only very small, located behind and to the left of the captains seat.

Our 744's do have a switch labeled rain repellent I believe, but it has been deactivated, and the switch wire locked IIRC.

jush

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:42 pm

Actually i don't want to jump out that escape hatch. Must be pretty high from up there. You can be sure of some broken bones if you have to jump from there.
If there would be sliding windows i'd guess it isn't any better jumping out of those. It's still high!

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Matt72033

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:46 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):
Actually i don't want to jump out that escape hatch. Must be pretty high from up there. You can be sure of some broken bones if you have to jump from there

As Phil stated earlier you have inertia reels, these consist of a handle on a cable that you grab hold of before you jump out, they are designed to slow you to a halt just before you reach the ground!

Buzz

Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:00 pm

Hi Hawk21M, Buzz here. On the cargo 747-400's that i work the half a dozen pilots have an upper deck escape slide. If that doesn't work, then you would open the hatch on top, grab one of those descent reels and hold on for dear life as you slip down the outside of the aircraft.
I don't know anybody who's done it, and i wonder how many pounds it's designed to slow down? I'm somewhat bigger and heavier than a lot of pilots, maybe i'd hit the ground harder.
It's really a last chance kind of device. There are no door slides on the main deck doors.
g'day

greasespot

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:28 am

INteresting trivia....If you used rain repellent on a dry window that left a film that was near impossible to get off unless you used a real expensive system Boeing sold.....or the cheaper system...Good old Coke (yes the pop)

Crews were told to never ever use the system unless you had no choice(at least at my work) and never test it dry.
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Okie

Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:45 am

Environmental concerns were one of the reasons for discontinued use of Rainboe, but I believe on some models of Boeing aircraft the aerosol canister was located inside the cockpit and had several instances of leaking fluid and propellant.
Several instances of pilots dozing off while completing the days crossword puzzle. Big grin

Okie

airfoilsguy
Topic Author

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:14 am

Quoting MissedApproach (Reply 11):
They don't exactly have to deal with road spray, just rain

How about bugs during landing and takeoff?

Tristarsteve

Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:42 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 12):
L-1011s have a hatch and no sliding windows as well, correct?

Correct. Tristars also had a windshield washer system, just like on a car. You squirt out the fluid then use the wipers to clean the screen.

Don't get confused with Rain repellant systems. These used to squirt a coating over the windshield which repelled rain. This was banned a while ago because the cannister was in the flight deck and was poisonous so there was a danger of it leaking into the flight deck. It was horrible stuff. Always drying in the nozzles which were pinhole size, and get it on a dry screen and it was there for ages.

MissedApproach

Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:57 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 21):
How about bugs during landing and takeoff?

Just my opinion, but I've yet to see a washer fluid that removes bug guts worth a damn, they just smear 'em all over.
 yuck 
Aren't there some aircraft that use air systems to clear rain from the windscreen?
Can you hear me now?

turnit56N

Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:44 pm

We have wipers on the ground. When the windshield gets dirty, dispatch just files us at a low altitude so we stay in the weather and get the plane washed.

Kidding! Mostly.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:23 pm

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):
Actually i don't want to jump out that escape hatch. Must be pretty high from up there. You can be sure of some broken bones if you have to jump from there.

There is an Escape rope present as mentioned in the posts above.
The crew does not have to Jump.

Quoting Buzz (Reply 18):
On the cargo 747-400's that i work the half a dozen pilots have an upper deck escape slide

BTW how many Escape ropes are present.is it Four.
regds
MEL

Matt72033

Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:07 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):
BTW how many Escape ropes are present.is it Four.
regds

we have four on ours, Captain FO 1st and 2nd observer

fr8mech

Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:23 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):
BTW how many Escape ropes are present.is it Four

I believe our's have either 8 or 10. We are allowed to operate with a total of 8 people on the upper deck. 3 crew and 5 jumpseaters.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

SlamClick

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:19 am

Quoting PhilSquares (Reply 9):
True, the 747 family has no sliding windows at all.

Did not know that. From the outside the No.2 windows look like they should slide.

Do you know how it meets FAR 25.773? ("clear view" window requirement)
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

SlamClick

Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:21 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 7):
Rain Repellant used on Boeing Aircraft was "RAINBOE" until it was discontinued due to concerns about Damage to the Ozone layer.

There was also a successful lawsuit against them for "permanent neurological damage" from inhaling the fumes. An MD-80 captain had the line fracture right in front of his face. The MD used Rainboe at that time. I've flown with the plaintiff more than once.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

afay1

Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:38 am

As an aside, the Tu-134 has an escape rope for passengers as well. It is stored underneath the seat next to the exit. The instructions, perhaps ironically, direct one to deploy said rope in the event of an emergency landing. Good luck with that...

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:02 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 29):
An MD-80 captain had the line fracture right in front of his face. The MD used Rainboe at that time. I've flown with the plaintiff more than once.

Hows the Routing of the plumbings on the MD80.
regds
MEL