Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N766UA
Topic Author

Dealing With Glycol

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:18 am

It's the winter months and, as with many of you, I've been de-icing planes every day now for awhile. After every day of it I can taste it on my lips, cheeks.. feel it on my forehead and I know it gets in my eyes. So I was wondering, how do you deal with keeping it off you? I can't help but wonder if I'll go blind from getting this stuff all over my contacts. I've tried goggles, shields, etc. but they just get covered and I have to take them off to see where I'm spraying! Any good ideas?

MissedApproach

RE: Dealing With Glycol

Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:46 am

Not sure if it will work, but if you ever watch motocross they have tear-offs for their goggles. For example:
http://oakley.com/o/c688t
They may get uppity if you drop them all over the ramp, but if you've got a pocket to stick the used ones in...
 scratchchin 
Can you hear me now?

alphafloor

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:05 am

Maybe check the MSDS :

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ET/ethylene_glycol.html

and

http://www.bu.edu/es/labsafety/ESMSDSs/MSGlycol.html

Cheers,
Alphafloor

[Edited 2006-01-15 01:06:54]

[Edited 2006-01-15 01:07:42]

[Edited 2006-01-15 01:10:27]
Whatever

707guy

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:22 pm

Go into the cabin service room and grab a blanket - a new one in the plastic - and tie it around your nose and mouth. You can use it like a face mask. (Yeah you could go buy a face mask, but they don't pay you enough for that...) Most importantly - watch the wind direction so you can see where the stuff will blow and keep the basket high. If you spray down and watch the wind you shouldn't get sprayed so badly...

EMBQA

Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:34 am

Welcome to the wonderful, glamorous life of working for an airline.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

CcrlR

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:33 am

Does your airline or company uses the covered de-icing trucks or the regular ones without it(mabye they should switch)? I was thinking of a face shield for this since it gets on your whole face and if you can you should have some sort of face mask like you wear in the wintertime. Mabye that would work. At least you don't wear glasses that would be worse.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:39 pm

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

N766UA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:11 am

I don't mind it on my skin, but like I said I don't wanna go blind from the stuff. A face shield is tough with the headset, winter hat, etc.. plus it gets covered in glycol and I have to remove it. I guess I'll just do what I've been doing and try to stay upwind and close my eyes when a ploom comes my way! Plus I'll hope for good weather since evidently I'm the only one on my shift qualified to de-ice... even though I know the other guys sat through training with me in the fall... silly 

707guy

Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:28 am

Get used to it - there were only a couple of us that would always spray when I was there too.

CRJonBeez

Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:14 pm

unfortunately my fellow deicer, there are no good solutions to the problem.

you can only angle the stream at such a reasonable distance as to not be spraying forward instead of aft. it never seems to work the way you need it to!

shields/goggles don't work because they coat over with glycol, which in turn creates a disaster as far as sight is concerned

my only suggestion is to get some sort of wool face mask to at least keep your mouth covered. it's the best i've been able to do in order to minimalize intake of glycol fluid.

as far as those auditors/inspectors/operations people are concerned, if they hassle you about your style of spraying, tell them to kiss your ass! until they get in those buckets, they have no idea what it's like trying to manage hold over times on a 757 when the snow is overcoming the fluid. the people that write those protocol books for the airlines have NEVER been in a deicer when the snow is coming down heavy, they don't know what they're talking about. so long as you go about your job safely, there should not be an issue.

on a side note, our type I manufacturer, Cryotech, recommends a shot of whiskey if you swallow the fluid!  bouncy 

qm001

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:14 pm

Whoah guys,

This would never be allowed to happen in Europe, if someone gets so much as a drop on them, its off to the doctor.

Firstly our ops do not allow for open baskets at all, and secondly, all operators must be provided with appropriate protection equipment in order to prevent glycol contamination.

Quoting CRJonBeez (Reply 9):
as far as those auditors/inspectors/operations people are concerned, if they hassle you about your style of spraying, tell them to kiss your ass! until they get in those buckets, they have no idea what it's like trying to manage hold over times on a 757 when the snow is overcoming the fluid. the people that write those protocol books for the airlines have NEVER been in a deicer when the snow is coming down heavy, they don't know what they're talking about

... I am in agreement with cerain parts of this statement, most inspectors have no idea what is happening on the Apron 99% of the time, however, your supplier, who should be providing training to all sprayers and handlers, will be able to give excellent advice on such issues, and whom in all cases have been where you are. Trust me on that.

I just discovered this tech ops forum, and finally see that some people do have points of interest on de-icing.

Kind regards,

QM001 (167 Air Malawi)
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

kaddyuk

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting 707guy (Reply 3):
(Yeah you could go buy a face mask, but they don't pay you enough for that...)

A Mask is PPE... (Personal Protective Equipment) in the UK his employer must provide him with access to a mask and it MUST be free...

Quoting N766UA (Reply 7):
evidently I'm the only one on my shift qualified to de-ice... even though I know the other guys sat through training with me in the fall...

Ah... you need to get yourself on a standback course... that way you'll have the correct training required to become an official Standback Collegue...  Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

777236ER

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 am

Are there no COSHH regulations at all in the US?
Your bone's got a little machine

cancidas

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:36 pm

just get used to it. when you're deicing during a storm the fluid is going to get everywhere. make sure that when you're spraying you're standing upwind of whatever you're deicing, that's for starters. secondly, glycol's taste isn't that bad once you get used to it. i can't begin to remember how much i've swallowed over the years. third, just be smart about it. if you're deicing the tail then don't stand directly UNDER the tail like one of my idiots did this morning.

i've seen people use the face masks that are provided for lav servicing for deicing. goggles work well to keep it out of your eyes unless you're like me and wear glasses. a ski mask will keep the spray from reaching your lips if you don't want to taste it, otherwise there is no real way of escaping being covered in fluid when you're in an open bucket. do what works for you, trial and error.

if someone from behind a desk gives you a hard time tell them to shove it and get in the bucket themselves. that will usually shut them up, unless they're completely stupid.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

KBGRbillT

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Utilizing an enclosed deicing cab is the only true solution. But, as others have suggested before any kind of facial protection that you can wear that doesn't inhibit your view is the best way to go along with staying up wind as much as possible.

CRJonBeez

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:42 pm

Quoting KBGRbillT (Reply 14):
. But, as others have suggested before any kind of facial protection that you can wear that doesn't inhibit your view is the best way to go along with staying up wind as much as possible.

by the way, i was actually able to write my face mask off on taxes this year as a work expense. 20 bucks is 20 bucks as i see it!

greasespot

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 12):

Yeah right...Those uppity de-icers should just be glad they have a job...

Hello It is the US airline industry...the only reason they have not outsourced it to Asia is they do not have hoses long enough to reach.....

Aviation....working towards an all volunteer workforce
GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

comairguycvg

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:59 am

When I de-ice, I wear a full rainsuit to start out with. That way I know that I won't get any glycol on my clothes. Then I have a fleece like hood I put over my head that covers everything but my eyes. I put the hood on and then the rainsuit hood on over that. I also were a pair of ski-like goggles. This pretty much keeps 100% of the glycol off of my skin and out of my eyes/nose/mouth. As far as keeping the spray off your goggles, I try to raise the bucket just a little bit higher, and then lean down over the side of the bucket as much as you are comfortable with (you sould have your harness on) so that way when the wind is blowing hard, you have most of the spray blowing under you. I've sparyed 8-10 planes before with minimal overspray on my goggles. And when a break comes up I go inside and wash then off.
Worked at: CV62, RJTA, KNLC, CV63, KNFL, OKAJ, KTRI, CV67, KMGE, KNQX, KVPS, KPIT, KCVG, KTYS, KATL

Buzz

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:12 pm

Hi 776UA, Buzz here. Well... there's no really good solution to the open basket deicer work. I don't wear contacts, but i do wear safety glasses / tight fitting goggles when I spray. I expect to get some on the goggles / face shield so then I face into the wind/freezing rain and let it rinse the glycol off. I agree, it's not fun.

So as much as possible i spray downwind, and spray downhill. Spraying the top of the T tail on the 727's was often kind of messy.
Oh yes, I wear one of those disposable Tyvek suits under my rain gear, it's a little more insulation whenit gets cold. Safety glasses and face shield are held on by the headset... and the face shield helps keep my face a little warmer by deflecting some of the wind.

g'nite

amtrosie

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:14 am

For those of us who are un-enlightened, what do the intials mean?

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 16):
Hello It is the US airline industry...the only reason they have not outsourced it to Asia is they do not have hoses long enough to reach.....

Aviation....working towards an all volunteer workforce

shhh, quiet, don't tell everyone our secret!!!

777236ER

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting Amtrosie (Reply 19):
For those of us who are un-enlightened, what do the intials mean?

Control of Substances Hazardous to Health.
Your bone's got a little machine

CRJonBeez

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:35 pm

by the way, a nice tip.....so long as nobody is going to freak out over it, a nice way to keep your hands half-way warm in between planes if you can't leave the bucket is to drip type 1 on your hands (obviously with gloves on ). it's not the best solution, but it usually gets the job done with barely any waste

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:57 pm

I think that I may be labled as a fool but Type I tastes pretty OK. Now I am not gonna start putting down glasses but it has a tolerable taste. Now Type IV not so much.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

memphis

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:18 pm

The airline I work/de-ice for will not allow us to wear contacts while in the bucket. This I found to be very annoying as I don't have the greatest of vision, and always wear contacts. Therefore, I had to wear my prescirption glasses behind a set of goggles. They told us in training that someone once got glycol on their contacts and it melted them to their eye, only after a trip to the E.R. were the contacts removed. Any truth to this myth?
nocturnal

CRJonBeez

Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:21 am

"melted" to their eyes??? i could perhaps see it getting in their eyes and creating a suction effect that prevented him/her from easily removing their contact, but it won't have any horrendous effect on you w/o taking in substantial amounts. as far as not being able to wear your contacts while deicing, it shouldn't be an issue if you're wearing protective goggles while spraying. aside from that, let them know you're having more of a problem with glasses than your contacts and that you do not feel comfortable having to use them. what's the worst that could happen? if you have a supervisor/boss that's at all sympathetic, they will understand. otherwise, it's more time/money spent training somebody else when you're perfectly qualified to do so. remind them that you're spending time having to adjust your glasses behind the goggles, which is wasted time. it's not a lot at once, but it certainly adds up! especially if holdover times come into play...

CO2BGR

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:19 am

As far as the vision goes, use a pair of ski goggles then tie a mini squee-gee to your jacket to wipe the stuff off...works like a charm. Being smart about your technique is the best prevention to begin with.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Smalbany

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:45 am

In the US it's called OSHA. They have standards for exposures to hazardous chemicals in the work place. I have no idea of what those standards are for de-icing fluid.

In general they are understaffed and don't usually come around to most places until after someone gets killed on the job.