Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pilotaydin
Topic Author

Any 737 Technicians/engineers Here?

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:04 pm

are there any of you here on the forums? id like to get in touch with some questions!
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MD11Engineer

RE: Any 737 Technicians/engineers Here?

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Yup, me for instance (I'm working 737NG at the moment).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

nonfirm

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 pm

I work 737-200/400/700/800/900.
Checked and Released

wing

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:06 pm

I send you an instant message did you recieve that?I may be rusted a little on the 737 but I still have what it takes.You can e-mail me,and if we can adjust our schedules we may come together and study also.What stage are you in right now?(Kolay gelsin þimdiden  Smile ) WING
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

amtrosie

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am

I happen to work a 737-200. I have hands o with most of the other series.

greasespot

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 am

B727, B737-2,3,4,5 series. Plus engine shop experience and now QA experience

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

IFixPlanes

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:02 pm

B737 Classic and NG with several years of experience
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

Buzz

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi Wing, Buzz here. I've been accused of understanding the 737-300, and 737-200. I don't use instant messaging, but generally check e-mail every day.
g'nite

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:49 am

B737 classics & B752.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MX757

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:35 pm

I am an avionics technician with 737-1/-2/-3/-5/-7/-8/-9 experience.
Is it broke...? Yeah I'll fix it.

AvionicMech

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:37 am

I am also an avionics man but only have 737-800 experience.

avioniker

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:59 am

And I spent two years in front of class talking about the -800 and an awful lot of years under 100's, 200's, and 300's.
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

miamiair

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:09 am

Structures and flight controls -100 thru -500.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

amtrosie

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Thread starter):

You asked for experience, what sort of questions do you have?

troubleshooter

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:38 pm

I work on the NG and sometimes on the Classics. So I´m more expirienced on the NG.
Let´s see your questions now.
This job sucks!!! I love this job!!!

pilotaydin
Topic Author

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:07 pm

Hey sorry my schedule has been busy so i can't post quite as often... here are some of my questions, thanks in advance!

737-400

FLIGHT CONTROLS
What is the difference between STBY RUD position and ON position. Volume 2 tells me that ON is the normal operating position, and STBY RUD pressurizes the PCU and activates the stby pump. So what does ON position do?

AIR SYSTEMS
Wing body overheat light. The volume says this light illuminates when there is a leak, what is the connection between a leak and the sensor detecting an overheat, i can't quite visualize this system and how it works.

ANTI ICE
We can use engine TAI in most situations, but why does the WING anti ice trip after thrust lever is advanced into takeoff mode?

AUTOFLIGHT
At 1000 feet, if i press either a/p A or B, does it revert to CWS P mode, or will it engage N1 and LVL CHG in the takeoff phase? Because in that case, i won't need to press N1 at 1500 feet myself. Do we engage A/P later on in the takeoff phase because the F/D follows V2+ 15-25 for an engine out situation, whereas LVL CHG will follow V2 from the MCP, making it critical at low altitude?

ELECTRICAL
HOT BAT BUS vs. SWITHED HOT BAT BUS, im having troule understanding the differences in roles of these two components and when the other one is used...

IRS
on the EHSI i read the winds, are these interpolated winds based on winds i have put into the forecast page with altitude? if not, how does the IRS/or ADC calculate the wind direction and speed with only accelerometers??

LANDING GEAR
The air ground sensor. Is everything connected to the right main gear, ? if so what happens when the gear is not down properly on the right side?

sorry if these seem primitive questions and all,just started my type rating on the -400 and i do love to have detailed knowledge!

thanks!!

a
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MD11Engineer

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:32 pm

Ok, the classic is a bit different from the NG, but I think I can answer these questions:

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 15):
AIR SYSTEMS
Wing body overheat light. The volume says this light illuminates when there is a leak, what is the connection between a leak and the sensor detecting an overheat, i can't quite visualize this system and how it works.

You have overheat loops (quite similar to the fire detection loops on the engine and APU) running in parallel with the bleed air ducts. As you know bleed air can be quite warm and cause damage. If there is a leak in the duct, the hot air will set off the nearest overheat loop sensor,, causing an overheat warning.

ANTI ICE
We can use engine TAI in most situations, but why does the WING anti ice trip after thrust lever is advanced into takeoff mode?

Since wing A/I uses quite a bit of bleed air, it gets shut down on take off so that the engines can provide more power.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Buzz

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi Pilotaydin, Buzz here. I'll take up a couple of the questions... since MD11Engineer started the ball rolling

Hot battery bus is always powered... as long as your battery connector is screwed in (you can't reach it in-flight anyway). Some items (I'd have to look at the ASM) will always have DC power, coming "straight" off the battery, so to speak. The Switched Hot Battery Bus is similar... but there's a logical relay that cuts off the power when the logic is met, it can be "switched" off.

The IRS calculates the winds by comparing the Air Data Computer data, and comparing it to present heading (the laser gyro part) to calculate wind correction angle... giving wind direction. The FMC prefers to use a couple of DME's to navigate, calculating ground speed from that. So it compares the airspeed, ground speed, heading, and path over the ground... and doesn't use the FMC wind data that you might have entered.

Air-Ground: On the -300's that's a prox sensor (switch) that's operated by a flex cable coming off the RH MLG strut. So if that gear were to hang up in the wheel well... i guess the airplane thinks it's still in the Air mode. I think I've heard of that being a problem once in the last 15+ years. It's fairly trouble free. The bottom end of the teleflex cable is bolted to the lower torque link, when the weight comes off the MLG the strut extends (due to that nitrogen pressure inside the oleo strut) and the cable pulls and the "target" on the prox sensor decides that the airplane is flying.

Stby Rudder: The "On" position allows the normal A+B hydraulics to operate the normal rudder PCU... the one we've changed 2 or 3 times after that USAir flight rolled over and crashed.
In the STBY positon the Stby Hyd Pump runs , it's a smaller electric driven pump in the wheel well, on the keel beam. The A+B pressure is shut off from the regular rudder PCU, and there's pressure going to the Stby Rudder PCU, a slightly smaller rudder actuator located a foot or so above the normal rudder actuator.
And when you power up the Stby hydraulics, you pressurize the thrust reversers... and the Leading Edge slats (extend only).

OK, that's enough thinking for now, what's left of my hair is starting to smoke (grin)
g'day

MX757

Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:46 pm

IRS
on the EHSI i read the winds, are these interpolated winds based on winds i have put into the forecast page with altitude? if not, how does the IRS/or ADC calculate the wind direction and speed with only accelerometers??

Yes, as you know you can enter winds for cruise altitude, cruise leg waypoints, and intermediate altitudes for descent forecasts. The FMC linearly interpolates between present system wind and the next entered wind. This interpolation is used to avoid step changes in performance, thrust targets and speed. As far as I know the ADC and IRS does not calculate wind direction.

If you could get a hold of a copy of your company's maintenance manual you could get alot of the answers you are looking for by checking out the discription and operation sections. They are at the top of each systems sections.
Is it broke...? Yeah I'll fix it.

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:26 pm

What is the difference between STBY RUD position and ON position. Volume 2 tells me that ON is the normal operating position, and STBY RUD pressurizes the PCU and activates the stby pump. So what does ON position do?

ON ensures the Normal [A+B] systems supply fluid to the Rudder PCU.Stby position Ensures only Stby PCU supplied fluid from the Stby System.

The Ovht loop is a wire surrounded by an inconel tube & filled with a material whose properties,decrease resistance with rise in Temperature.The outer shell is grounded.These loop of wires are routed near the Ducts in the Aircraft especially the LE,AC bay & Pneumatic manifolds.When the temperature rises,the resistance decreases to a level that continuity is sensed beteen the wires,this indicates an Ovht condition.

Temperature sw sensing Ovht bleed.

The air ground sensor. Is everything connected to the right main gear, ? if so what happens when the gear is not down properly on the right side

The Teleflex cable is attached to the RH MLG upper torsion link at one end & to the Air Grd Proximity sensor at the other end.When the Aircraft is in the Air,The Oleo extends & pulls down on the Torsion link,pulling the cable & shifting to Airmode.
Some Aircraft have an Added Air grd sense near the Rudder disconnect mechanism for the NLG too.

Quoting Buzz (Reply 17):
The bottom end of the teleflex cable is bolted to the lower torque link,

It should be the Upper torsion link.

Check the AMM for most accurate answers.Also this is a good site too.
LINK

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

avioniker

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 pm

In case you can't get to an AMM right away here's a link to a lot of the answers you seek.

http://www.b737.org.uk/

Smile
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533