Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

L-1011Alpha
Topic Author

To Those Aviation Mechanics.....

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:04 am

I live in Puerto Rico, and here are an Aviation School for mechanics that graduates you in 1 year, then help you to find a job.

My question is..

How does it work the hours of work (Schedule) of the aviation mechanics ?

Is like a normal 8 hours work ?
They work depending the planes to fix ?
Rotative schedule ?
Nights ?
Is well paid ?

What are the pros and cons of being an aviation mechanic ?
Advantage and disadvantage ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
L-1011 Alpha

PS: I love aviation and I'm really looking foward to this.
My fears are first of all my english, and the work schedule. (Because I have a family).

kaddyuk

RE: To Those Aviation Mechanics.....

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:45 am

Quoting L-1011Alpha (Thread starter):

Okay, My Pro Points are:
1) You get to work outside in the sunshine
2) Alot of people who work in the industry are just as nice as yourself
3) It keeps you thinking and no two days are exactly the same
4) It pays better than MacDonalds
5) Working for an airline gives you excellent staff travel benefits (depending on the airline)

My Con points are:
1) You have to work outside in the cold, rain, wind, snow and anything else mother nature can throw at you
2) Some people can be so rude all you want to do is slap them upside the head
3) When you are performing your 15th wheel change of the week, frustration can take the better of you
4) There is always a better paid job with a better company
5) Your staff travel benefits are never as good as X person at Y airline...

Seriously, i like what i do, I'm still an apprentice and still learning... Taking this job is the best decision i've made so far.

At times you can get stuck upto your elbows in crap (Literally) but then there are times that you get a REAL satisfaction from fixing something and making someone elses job that little bit easier. Some companies are better than others and there are alot of bitter people who have been in the industry FAR too long, but heck... what job doesnt have those types?

Just follow your own instincts, if you like it great... if you dont heck... you know where the door is and its not the end of the world  Smile

ilikeyyc

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:49 am

How does it work the hours of work (Schedule) of the aviation mechanics ?

Rotative schedule ?
Nights ?
Is well paid ?

Do you want to work for an airline? general aviation? Corporate? in an engine shop? It depends where you want to work. I'm working with an airline- I work 4 10 hour nights and get three nights off.

I'm new to this profession. In addition to what was listed above, the only two things I can say are good about the job are 1) You get to work in aviation and 2) It satisfies a desire to tear apart, repair, rebuild and learn about all things mechanical. Those are the two reasons why I chose this job.

EMBQA

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:28 am

Rotative schedule ?
Nights ?
Is well paid ?

*Most shifts are 4 - 10's or 5 - 8's. 4-10's are the best once you get use to working them.
*Most times you work until the planes are up and flying. When I was at an airline 12hr days were the norm....and say good by to Holidays. You'll be working Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, New Years Day..etc.
*Rotating shifts are rare. New guys normally get nights and weekends.
Nights..? That is a given.
*Pay is ok, but you can make more money working for your local cable company as an Installer.

[Edited 2006-04-11 00:29:54]

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 3):
Most shifts are 4 - 10's or 5 - 8's. 4-10's are the best once you get use to working them

I think most shifts are to suit the operational needs of the airline...

I currently work 4 days on, 4 days off 6am till 6pm one shift then 10am till 10pm the next shift... Its good because i'm only at work for half the time... but its bad because i have to work half the time...  Wink

I adore my four days off because i can book 4 days holiday and actually take 12...  Smile

DC10GUY

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 am

I've been working on airplanes for 28 years now. Of those years 13 where spent working night shifts, some with no weekend day off. I work afternoons now and that's as good as it will get. Thanks to god and good luck I have never worked for a passenger carrier.(freight dog) Being a A&P has been good for me, but to be honest I don't think the future looks too bright. If I had to pick a career again now ... I'd try something in the health care industry.

Sinlock

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:06 am

I live in Puerto Rico, and here are an Aviation School for mechanics that graduates you in 1 year, then help you to find a job.

I'd do some real research into that claim. An FAA issued A&P requiers 2400 hours of class time. At that rate you would have to be in class over 9 hours a day each week. Not to mention the many hours of home work. Here in the states the expected time at collage level is about 5 hours a day with each liceance taking 1 year. Any faster and you really get overwelmed and wouldn't be able to get the information soak in.

Also, don't listen to the claims like "We'll get you a good job after you get your 1st ticket" that nothing but BS the only place that will hire someone with one ticket is a repair shop and they woun't pay you any more than someone with no ticket.

EMBQA

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 6):
I'd do some real research into that claim. An FAA issued A&P requiers 2400 hours of class time.

The A&P School I went to was 13 months. We went 8hrs a day, 5 days a week with a normal work vacation schedule.

HAWK21M

Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Is like a normal 8 hours work

Not necessary.Can be a General shift ie 0900hrs to 1800hrs with Sat/Sun offs.
Can be a 2-2-2-1 system of Two Mornings,Two Afternoons,Two Nights & one Off.ie 0700-1500hrs,1500-2300hrs,2300-0700hrs.
5 nights/week 2300hrs-0800hrs or until the Last Aircraft gets Airborne[Which ever is later] Smile thats my Work timings.
2-2 [Two days & Two offs 12 hrs duty].

They work depending the planes to fix

If there are shifts then its fixed hrs unless a requirement arises.

Rotative schedule

Mostly yes.

Nights

Most of the time.

Is well paid

Fairly well paid,can be better.

What are the pros and cons of being an aviation mechanic

Tough work,Exposed to Bad weather,Difficult to sleep after a night shift,constant studies.

My fears are first of all my english, and the work schedule. (Because I have a family).

Initially you will find it tough,but then if you organise time well.You can make time for the Family.Mine is a 5 night/week so a Weekend Family life.  Smile
If you love the Job....You wont find adjusting a problem.Although the toughest part is telling the World you are resting after a night shift  Smile

regds
MEL

amtrosie

Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:38 am

Advantages? You will have the SUPREME satisfaction of fixing something that was broken, and watching it fly away.

Disadvantages? You will surrender virtually all "normal" aspects of your life to do this. AIDS-Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome- is very real. As a "newbie" you will get the worst jobs with the worst shifts.

My advise: If fixing mechanical things drives you, work on cars, or boats, anything but airplanes. The job responsibilities far out-weigh the job benefits.

fr8mech

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:00 am

My wife has just come to the realization that we will never be a 9 - 5 family. 8 years as a mechanic saw 7 on nights, 1 on weekends. As a supervisor I spent 4 years on nights, 2 on weekends, one as a relief (rotating) and after a grand total of 6 months on days with weekends off I get a promotion that lands me back on night shift.

But it certainly is satisfying.

VC-10

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:09 am

The nice thing about working in the UK is seniority counts for nothing apart from staff travel. If you are on day shift and get promoted and the vacancy is on days, you stay on days.

kaddyuk

Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 11):
The nice thing about working in the UK is seniority counts for nothing apart from staff travel.

A Rule that may change due to new Age Discrimination Laws that are being brought in...

Phantomphixer

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 pm

I work in depot maintenance for 8 years now.
I love the profession but I hate my job. Don't know how else to best describe the feeling. Anyone ever felt like that?
It can be really interesting the first couple of years although yeah you get to do all the boring - tedious jobs around. After that you start getting to know your way around, you start to 'know' things and you start 'doing' things. Then comes the critical point. What does the company want from you? What can they offer? Can you climb up the ladder? Is there a ladder to climb?
I look around me in the company I work for and see 60 year olds still turning the speed-handle in the cold or sun, bad knees, bad backs, bad everything. They would bury you for a friendly slap in the back from the supervisor if they were given the chance.
Yes we get paid a bit better than MacD's but they don't have to sign for every dish they serve and you don't get to hear about their mistakes in the evening news.
Aviation maintenance was not my first job. So I know that in everything there are pros and cons. There's no perfect job and I would probably end up nagging after 8 years in an other job...
It's either time for a job change or a career change I think.  Sad

ReidYYZ

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:13 pm

I've always been on a rotating schedule. Four days on, four off, four nights on four off...repeat. I've been in a hangar environment on heavy checks which allows you to see the guts, but after inspecting my third wing for a week, I was going squirrely. I prefer ramp work, 'cause nightshift in Feb. outside changing an IDG that won't co-operate is offset by afternoons in may, sometimes in places like CDG with per diem. After 15 years, it is also the people you work with that can make a difference. Any day I don't learn something or have a laugh, is a wasted day.