Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Medical Checks - Mx Personnel.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:58 pm

What are the Requirements for Medical checks for Licenced/Non Licenced Mx personnell at your place.
Out here its an Annual Medical checkup + Random Alcosensor check anytime.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Fokker Lover

RE: Medical Checks - Mx Personnel.

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:06 pm

We get checked every night when we clock in. If we are still breathing, we're allowed to work. Every once in a while they throw in a random drug or alcohol test.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

MD11Engineer

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:18 am

Normally annual checks as per health and safety regulations for shift workers, plus a yearly audiometric test due to exposure to noise are required, but my boss doesn't care. Health and safety-- What this?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

LMP737

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:22 am

Once a year we get our eyes and hearing checked. Along with blood pressure, which for a lot of airline employees has gone up over the past several years. Oh yes there's the random drug and alcohol test. Just to make sure you are not downing a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 before you come to work.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

wrighbrothers

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
What are the Requirements for Medical checks for Licenced/Non Licenced Mx personnell at your place.

When my dad was in engineering, at the begining, which was a long time ago to be frank, they had no checks, but now, they do radom drugs/alchool tests, and you must be bellow a certain weight/hight to be a engineer.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 1):
We get checked every night when we clock in. If we are still breathing, we're allowed to work

biggrin 

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 4):
and you must be bellow a certain weight/hight to be a engineer

Whats the Criteria.

What about opting to continue working if not well.

regds
MEL

fr8mech

Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:25 am

The only required check we have is a hearing test. Everything else is up to the individual.

We also do random drug/alcohol screens.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

wrighbrothers

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
Whats the Criteria.

I'd guess, as long as they can fit into any of the spaces they need to fit into/go through you are fine, so you can be a bit overweight, but not too much. Unless of-course you have to work inside that wings, then you have to be no taller than 5ft 8in, and have weight in proportion to your height.
Also, sight and hearing must be reasonable, enough to see and hear what your doing. Of-course you can wear glasses/contact lenses, and perhaps hearing aids at some places.
I can't confirm this though, long time since dad worked on the aircrafts themselves but I guess it's more or less like what I've described.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 5):
What about opting to continue working if not well.

Hmmm, I'd think that if you've got nothing that can spread to fellow workers, you'd be OK, but anything to do with viruses or broken this or that, you need time off, the airline will only force you to take time off if it's serious, usually by that time, you'd have already decided to take time off yourself.

Wrighbrothers  Smile

kaddyuk

Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 4):
you must be bellow a certain weight/hight to be a engineer.

Not So, I work with a number of guys who break the 6' 3" height margin, I also know a few guys who weigh over 16 stone (over 220lbs). And that is without having height in proportion to weight.

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 7):
Unless of-course you have to work inside that wings, then you have to be no taller than 5ft 8in, and have weight in proportion to your height.

As long as you fit through the hole, expect to work anywhere. However, special training must be given to those working in fuel tanks. If you dont have the training, you cant work in that area, whether you fit or not

Also, sight and hearing must be reasonable, enough to see and hear what your doing. Of-course you can wear glasses/contact lenses, and perhaps hearing aids at some places.

These checks are more for the requirement to drive a vehicle on the airport (You have to be able to see a certain distance and also have hearing at a specific level).

Hmmm, I'd think that if you've got nothing that can spread to fellow workers, you'd be OK, but anything to do with viruses or broken this or that, you need time off, the airline will only force you to take time off if it's serious, usually by that time, you'd have already decided to take time off yourself.

One or two ex-engineers that I know have stopped for varying reason. A common reason is developing skin conditions such as eczema. If I'm ill, the airline has no problem with me taking time of sick within reason. I might take longer if i've got an injury which physically prevents me from doing a job. Engineers can also take time off "Fatigued" just like pilots (for example not getting sleep one night). And not exercise the privilages of their licence untill fit for work. However, do that often and questions start to be asked.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

vc10

Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:54 am

I might be a bit out of date now but I do not remember there being any medical requirements to the holding of a ground engineers licence except perhaps you could not suffer from colour blindness.

Now certain companies applied their own medical requirements as part of their contract of employment, and nowadays there are the laws for all staff who come in contact with aircraft as to drugs and alcohol.

As to there being a height /weight requirement well I have never heard of that, and all my adult life I have been 5ft 11inches tall[ getting shorter now]
but I was expected to crawl into fuel tanks just the same as every one else.

One shilling a day extra for tank work and a free bottle of milk to wash the taste away made it all worth it though  Smile

little vc10

kaddyuk

Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:47 am

The Following CAA Documents all the legal requirements for Licence Holders. Most companies however apply the same rules to all maintenance staff, licence holder or not

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP715.PDF
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP716.PDF

dl757md

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:50 am

Here the only requirement for everybody are the random drug/alcohol tests.

If you are in an area with high noise they give you an annual hearing test.
Those that are taxi qualified have an annual vision exam and blood pressure check in addition to the above.
Painters have an annual Cadmium test.
I'm sure there are other tests for those exposed to different hazards that I'm not aware of.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

777wt

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Fr8Mech (Reply 6):
The only required check we have is a hearing test. Everything else is up to the individual.

How would that go about if the person is deaf or wears hearing aids?

wrighbrothers

Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 8):
These checks are more for the requirement to drive a vehicle on the airport (You have to be able to see a certain distance and also have hearing at a specific level).

You have to get a special licence for that I beleive. I'd think the sight is to do with braking and seeing warning signs.

A common reason is developing skin conditions such as eczema.

I'd think that'd be a serious case of exzema, my dad had it , but he did everything, that only problem with having eczema is if you start rubbing against things, and if you get into tight spaces and need to itch a scratch. And getting stuck in the wings is not fun  Smile

However, do that often and questions start to be asked.

No doubt they could suspect you of doing a second job.

Wrighbrothers

kaddyuk

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:20 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 13):
You have to get a special licence for that I beleive. I'd think the sight is to do with braking and seeing warning signs.

Yes, you have to have an airside driving licence in addition to a UK Driving Licence. There is a distance test and a Color Deficiency Test (I refrain from sayiong color blindness because thats a different condition).

Neither will prevent you from having a licence, i have a minor color deficiency Red & Green Mixed, however its not serious enough to prevent me from passing the medical exam.

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 13):
I'd think that'd be a serious case of exzema, my dad had it , but he did everything, that only problem with having eczema is if you start rubbing against things, and if you get into tight spaces and need to itch a scratch. And getting stuck in the wings is not fun

Eczema is a form of Dermatitis and there are many different types.

"Irritant contact dermatitis is similar, but is caused by a reaction to some chemical substance, often unrinsed detergents left on clothing or various household chemicals being handled. Often, the inflammation occurs mainly on the hands and feet, as the hands come in contact with most of the chemicals that a person may encounter, and the environment for shoe-clad feet is warm and moist, perfect for fungal infections to begin."

AvionicMech

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:28 pm

I know that the guys who work in our Avionics Workshop have to have a Lung Function Test every year I beleive it is. The reason for this is because of all the solder fumes that they breath in.

wrighbrothers

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 14):
Eczema is a form of Dermatitis and there are many different types.

That's the one where you need to scratch alot, I've got it. It's all over the body, I get it mainly on my wrists, arms and legs.
The one you mention is a different form

Wrighbrothers

kaddyuk

Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 16):
That's the one where you need to scratch alot, I've got it. It's all over the body, I get it mainly on my wrists, arms and legs.
The one you mention is a different form

Eczema does have many different effects on the body. And trust me, most fluids, liquids & greases used on aircraft are not overly safe for human contact at the best of times.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 pm

Engineers can also take time off "Fatigued" just like pilots (for example not getting sleep one night).

What I meant was A non serious illness...High fever etc.You know you can't concentrate.Wouldn't it be better to Avail an off rather work less than 100% on an Aircraft Inspection & not doing justice to it.What if you do not get the leave  
This happened recently & raised a debate on the same.
regds
MEL

[Edited 2006-04-16 13:58:16]

wrighbrothers

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 18):
What I meant was A non serious illness...High fever etc.You know you can't concentrate.Wouldn't it be better to Avail an off rather work less than 100% on an Aircraft Inspection & not doing justice to it.What if you do not get the leave

It's much better to take time off, you don't want to go in unwell, and miss something or do it to a low standard, which might result in serious problems (a crash would be a very bad out come)
If you're ill, ring the company up, and explain that you're ill, didn't get sleep or whatever the problem is,usualy they will allow you time off, because they'd rather have you at 100%
If they don't allow you, go in, and discuss it with the person in-charge 9duty manager for example), or the highest ranking person you can find, and explain it to them, and if they don't think you need time off, well there's not much you can do other than walk out, which might not be so wise  Wink

Wrighbrothers
 Smile

MD11Engineer

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Engineers can also take time off "Fatigued" just like pilots (for example not getting sleep one night).

This happened recently & raised a debate on the same.
regds
MEL

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 19):

It's much better to take time off, you don't want to go in unwell, and miss something or do it to a low standard, which might result in serious problems (a crash would be a very bad out come)
If you're ill, ring the company up, and explain that you're ill, didn't get sleep or whatever the problem is,usualy they will allow you time off, because they'd rather have you at 100%
If they don't allow you, go in, and discuss it with the person in-charge 9duty manager for example), or the highest ranking person you can find, and explain it to them, and if they don't think you need time off, well there's not much you can do other than walk out, which might not be so wise Wink

Wrighbrothers

Well, Mr. 13 to 15 year old student, who has never worked all his life, do you know what will happen if I don't come to work without being seriously ill? I'll be fired because I ground a whole fleet of 7 aircraft unless my boss will get one of my colleagues to come in on his off day or vacation (and they'll really be gratefull to me - NOT!).
We have only one B1 Engineer on shift (doubles as shift leader), the rest of the guys are one or two Cat A and two unlicenced mechanics.
The airline thinks that one B1 is enough per shift and will not pay my boss more to hire another one per shift. As such we don't have any reserves and there is F*ck all we can do about it.
With the increasing workload we would like to have another B1 as a deputy shift leader, to cover such situations and to help with the increased troubleshooting a larger fleet of aircraft demands (tasks I can not delegate to a Cat A or an unlicenced mechanic, they are good for routine jobs though), but the airline will simply not pay for it. If a Cat A or an unlicenced mechanic is ill, then I will have to help to do his job as well.

These are the realities of modern low cost aviation.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

wrighbrothers

Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 20):
Well, Mr. 13 to 15 year old student, who has never worked all his life, do you know what will happen if I don't come to work without being seriously ill? I'll be fired because I ground a whole fleet of 7 aircraft unless my boss will get one of my colleagues to come in on his off day or vacation (and they'll really be gratefull to me - NOT!).

Wow wow, sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just saying.
I know i haven't worked in my life, so I don't know about it personally.
However, I do know to an extent the work problems of engineers, I know they get very little money for such a responsible job, I know they have extremely high work loads and that they have to work long, usually un-sociable hours, they get bugger all thanks and since airlines are always out-sourcing maintinence to 3rd party companires who do the work for half the price, their job security is low. It's a shambles how they get treated. Especialy at big airlines, where the schedualing team give the engineers un-realistic targets, and then when they are not met, giving greaf to all, then when something goes wrong, the first people they turn to, the engineers, and then they complain about how lazy they are, and how they can't make deadlines. It realy is bad how they treat engineers, compaired to pilots, compair pay, work load etc, yet they both have high pressure jobs, where if they make one mistake, theycan risk lives. I honestly do know this

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 20):
The airline thinks that one B1 is enough per shift and will not pay my boss more to hire another one per shift. As such we don't have any reserves and there is F*ck all we can do about it.

And it's wrong, the airlines would outsource all their maintinence to a 3rd party if they had the chance.

Please, I know I don't work, But i'd like to think i'm not stupid, my dad was an aircraft engineer/manager, I like to think i do know something.
I don't make myself out to kknow more than the engineers themselves, becuase I don't, I was just answering the question which HAWK put forth.
Once again, I'm sorry.

Wrighbrothers