Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusA6
Topic Author

Taxiing Speeds

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Landing in Sydney this morning (NZ A320), I started thinking about the taxi speed along the ground.

What speed do the aircraft normally travel at on the ground? Is this speed specfic to the aircraft or the airport? Would a 747 taxi faster than an ATR42?

Thanks
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

zeke

RE: Taxiing Speeds

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:58 pm

Normally up to 30 kts, however I understand some easyjet crews have been clocked at 76 kts at STN.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

wardialer

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:16 pm

No way!!! Taxi speed are anywhere from around
15 to 25 knots....

CX Flyboy

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:18 pm

30kts is the norm on a wide open taxiway with few threats from ground traffic. In a more congested busy area, you would go slower. In the apron area, we go at 10-15kts.

VC-10

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:30 pm

If I'm taxiing a 747 I'll let the speed build up to about 20/25 knts then b=ring it down to about 12 & let it build up again.

In turns not faster than 10knts & slower if wet.

[Edited 2006-04-24 09:30:58]

Mir

Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Quoting AirbusA6 (Thread starter):
Would a 747 taxi faster than an ATR42?

Probably not, but it would taxi faster than a 172. Reason being that if a 747 is going 30kts, that would be getting into the range where you might have enough lift to get the nosewheel off the ground in the 172. Small GA planes generally taxi at "a brisk jog", which I translate to about 10kts on the straightaways, less in turns. On the ramp, generally about a fast walking speed.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Grbld

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Reason being that if a 747 is going 30kts, that would be getting into the range where you might have enough lift to get the nosewheel off the ground in the 172.

Hehe  Smile Well the thing is, it's usually the medium size aircraft that taxi the fastest. So that means turboprops and smaller jets. The thing with big birds is that there's so much more strain on the wheels when turning, and sometimes the brakes when decelerating. And getting into the really big birds like the 747 and longer 777s, A340s, where it gets tricky making tight turns because of the length of the aircraft, that'll put a hamper on your taxi speeds too.

CosmicCruiser

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 pm

The bigger jets have max taxi and turn speeds to protect tires and brakes. In the MD-11 the max taxi speed is 20kts over 400,000 lbs and 25kts. under 400,000 lbs. This is to prevent heat build up of the tires and brakes which would affect an aborted t/o. Speeds in a turn are limited to 15kts. for a 45 deg. turn and 10kts for a 90 deg. turn. This is to prevent the "outside" nose tire from being lifted off the ground in the turn and putting full wgt. on one "inside" tire. The other day as we taxied out at Delhi the main runway (27) was closed and we had to back taxi down 32/14 for a 32 t/o since it has no joining taxiways. The runway is not wide enough for an MD-11 to do a 180 but at the very end is a widened turn around pad. As we pulled onto the runway to back taxi the ground controller told us to "expedite" our taxi! My first thought was "are you serious?" but we just replied that 20kts. was max.. ...CC

AirbusA6
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks, have there been any incidents caused by taxiing too fast, e.g. where wheels or landing gear has been damaged?

IFIXCF6

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:58 pm

If you taxi an MD11 (or DC10) at ANY speed or ANY weight, a 45 or 90 degree turn WILL cause the outer nosewheel tire to lift, simple physics, an angled nose strut. If the tower gave an order to "expedite", I would get my self off the runway, quick as possible. They may be landing a 152, or have a 744 with an IFE. They do not need to explain. Yes, as a mechanic, I am DC10/MD11 taxi qualified.

Mike

abbs380

Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:22 pm

AirbusA6 (reply 8) Here is a true story about a DC-8 freighter flight many years ago leaving Tokyo close to curfew, you decide if its caused by taxiing too fast.
Normal departure time was about 30 min. prior to close of airport for the night. This flt. was TYO/ANC so was very heavy. On this night the flt. blocked out on time and was cleared for t/o with plenty of time to be legal.
Everything seemed normal as t/o roll began, but at about 115 kt. the capts. sliding window suddenly slammed open and slid back, creating unbelieavable noise, and a windstorm in the cockpit. An RTO was immediately excecuted and the a/c was safely stopped well before the end of the runway.
The capt, believing he had not properly secured his window before t/o, decided to secure his window and get going again. Mindfull that they were getting real close to curfew he got clearance to taxi back for another t/o attempt.
Of course because they were a long way from the t/o runway he expedited his taxi in an effort to beat the clock.
At some point into the second takeoff roll a tire blew from overheat, this probably caused at least one more tire to blow from overload.
The flying chunks of rubber from the blown tires caused all sorts of damage to the flaps, and ruptured hydraulic lines in the wheel wells, which caused the lines to burst, which caused a mist of hydraulic fruid to spray about in the wheel wells, which caught fire and caused lots more damage. The second t/o attempt was aborted.

No one was killed. The fire dept. was ready to go home when the airport closed so it took them a while to get there but the fire was put out. The a/c was repaired at quite some cost.
And the best part, after everybody anayzed it they said yeah the guy screwed it all up, but I might have too. He retired as a Capt.

CosmicCruiser

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting IFIXCF6 (Reply 9):
If you taxi an MD11 (or DC10) at ANY speed or ANY weight, a 45 or 90 degree turn WILL cause the outer nosewheel tire to lift, simple physics, an angled nose strut.

Gee, I'll have to tell flight trg. dept. they're full of ....I probably could have phrased it this way; amount of lifting is also proportional to nose wheel deflection. Limiting speeds in the turn also limits side loads on the inside tire.The tire can be rolled off the wheel rim.

[quote=IFIXCF6,reply=9] If the tower gave an order to "expedite", I would get my self off the runway, quick as possible. They may be landing a 152, or have a 744 with an IFE. They do not need to explain. Yes, as a mechanic, I am DC10/MD11 taxi qualified.

This is silly for you to say this. You were not there and, as some people do here, made an assumption that wasn't correct. I'm sure you're a talented and professional mech but I do have a little edge in this matter regarding operations at foreign airports. If you can imagine some of the uncoordinated and inefficient ops at SOME airports around the world you might have appreciated my antidote. Also remember that when I was CLEARED to enter that runway, it was mine. There was no one on final and I had already held short for 3 landing jets. No controller can instruct me to operate the jet outside of the operating parameters of the a/c flight manual or the co. ops manual. Reread my statement and you'll see that they were using a runway with NO ajoining taxiways and it's width was too narrow for me to turn around except at the very end where there was a turn around pad. The runway is 148' wide and as you know an MD-11 needs 161' to do a 180 (hey we could have ALMOST made it). I would hope that the controller was just requesting us not to "dillydally" around because they still had 2 or 3 more big jets waiting to do the samething! However, 20kts was as expeditious as we could be and after suffering a 45 min delay due the electrical power failure in the warehouse and another 20 min. delay waiting for landing a/c the LAST thing I wanted to do was spend more time "dillydallying" around the Mumbai airport. Without knowing the REAL reason that the main runway (27) was closed after we and several other jets had landed on it, it just seemed a little inefficient to close your main rny at the busiest time of the day when it could have departed and landed 6 jets in 30 min rather than 1 every 20 min. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

highflyer9790

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:58 am

i remember after landing in DEN in a bae146 we turned of on a highspeed takiway still in reverse thrust going fast enough that every swayed and jerked. we must have kept a 40kt speed going a while....

ThirtyEcho

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Southwest never taxis faster than barber pole.

zeke

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:23 pm

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 12):
i remember after landing in DEN in a bae146 we turned of on a highspeed takiway still in reverse thrust going fast enough that every swayed and jerked. we must have kept a 40kt speed going a while....

146 does not have reverse thrust.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

AirbusA6
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Abbs380 (Reply 10):
Here is a true story about a DC-8 freighter flight many years ago leaving Tokyo close to curfew, you decide if its caused by taxiing too fast.

I can imagine myself in that pilot's shoes making that decision...if he hadn't sped along, and had missed the curfew he would have been blamed as well probably

Woodreau

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:41 pm

I've seen the airspeed indicator come off the peg and actually indicate an airspeed during taxi on a long stretch of taxiway one time - we beat Southwest to the gate that day.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

GrinddalSK340

Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:42 pm

hmm I was wondering if there where to be a punishment for the pilots who go way faster then promited?

I mean a week ago at CPH an SKA343 came in, and i Swear from the Runway to the Apron only took 2 mins, ive never seen anyone Taxi that fast. and the pilots where out the plane faster than a rats out sewer at floods ?
Travellin' First Class, golden roasted peanuts and Chardonay Yum the way to fly

CosmicCruiser

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting GrinddalSK340 (Reply 17):
hmm I was wondering if there where to be a punishment for the pilots who go way faster then

You definitely don't want to do it on a line check!

GrinddalSK340

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 18):

Now that Would be a baaad Idea  Yeah sure
Travellin' First Class, golden roasted peanuts and Chardonay Yum the way to fly

cancidas

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:33 am

with GA airplanes, no faster than 10 or 15 kts generally. i did land at SWF one day, after 3 touch-and-gos on the runway and managed to get very light on my nose taxxing back from the far end to the ramp. that, needless to say, was a very interesting experience.

there have been occasions where i have taxiied E145s in from remote ramps, i think i did about 30kts there as the airplane had to make up our first flight out.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

IFIXCF6

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:14 pm

CosmicCruiser,
You are correct, I was not there. I have never operated anything in India. I have operated overseas, but the ATC was always competant. When ATC requests "expedite", I ASSUME that it is important, and do my best to comply. Of course, I would not violate company procedures (but we can high-speed taxi...with reason) or airport rules. I mearly wanted to point out the possibilities, not assumptions, that would be going through my head, based on what you wrote. Peace.

Mike

MYT332

Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting IFIXCF6 (Reply 21):
When ATC requests "expedite", I ASSUME that it is important, and do my best to comply

Oh well, he was being expedient as he said. The guy's at ATC obviously didn't realise, strangely.
One Life, Live it.

CosmicCruiser

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting IFIXCF6 (Reply 21):
I mearly wanted to point out the possibilities, not assumptions, that would be going through my head, based on what you wrote. Peace.

Hey thanks for the reply. Of course, one must keep situational awareness even during taxi and we were very aware of all radio calls, etc. I think the problem here was that for whatever reason they closed the main runway they created a major bottleneck and delay for everyone and a nightmare for themselves. With 3 jets waiting to back taxi as we did, the controller would have been very happy for us to just fly down to the other end, hang a 180 and blast off, which may have been accomplished in a smaller jet even up to a 727, but not an MD-11. It's not that uncommon in some places in the world to have controllers try to put you in compromising situations (I'm not talking about layovers!) that require you to do what you know or think is correct first and what he wants second. It's not that often, thank goodness, but it does happen..CC

jetflyer

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:48 pm

Haha on FS2004 I taxied at 20kts round a bend and the plane wobbled sideways and scraped its engine on the ground. I wonder at the cost of the damage in real life LOL

DColeMAN

Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Zeke (Reply 1):
I understand some easyjet crews have been clocked at 76 kts at STN.

Surely that was while vacating the runway on to a high speed taxiway? I really can't imagine them taxiing down the taxiway in a straight line at nearly 80kts.
Topless Women Drink 4 Free

HAWK21M

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting Zeke (Reply 1):
Normally up to 30 kts, however I understand some easyjet crews have been clocked at 76 kts at STN.

Are you serious.What was the temperature of the wheels like.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

shamrocka330

Mon May 01, 2006 12:09 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 26):
Quoting Zeke (Reply 1):

bit like Ryanair at DUB!!
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

skyharborshome

Thu May 11, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 16):
we beat Southwest to the gate that day.

So I am assuming the industry just accepts that WN pilots usually taxi faster than other pilots? The statement seems absurd but I have noticed that if I am on WN, we do not waste much time, especially if there are no or few aircraft on the taxiway awaiting t/o.
Fly CHD!

cancidas

Fri May 12, 2006 1:31 am

each different carrier has it's own acceptable idea on everything. comair, for example, definately taxies a lot faster than any other regional that i've ever seen. they'll come flying down the taxiway, of course after sitting at a start-up diamond for 20 minutes too long. WN, well i have never seen them taxi.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

BWI757

Fri May 12, 2006 6:49 am

After reading this informative thread, I couldn't resist posting this (which I am sure many of you have seen):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4933318503062049442

BWI757

[Edited 2006-05-11 23:49:56]
"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine" - Andrea Bocelli

bri2k1

Fri May 12, 2006 12:56 pm

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 29):
WN, well i have never seen them taxi.

That's because they don't taxi -- they just fly low
Position and hold

HAWK21M

Sat May 13, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 27):
bit like Ryanair at DUB!!

I wonder whats RyanAir Wheel change Frequency.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)