Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

isuA380B777
Topic Author

Aircraft Landing Gear Wheel Allignment

Thu May 11, 2006 9:07 pm

How do the maintaince engineers allign the wheels of the aircraft landing gear? What kind of an allingment machine is used?

Thanks

fr8mech

RE: Aircraft Landing Gear Wheel Allignment

Thu May 11, 2006 10:58 pm

You assume that the wheels are alinged. We don't aling the wheels on large transport catergory aircraft. The axles are fixed. We don't install shims or spacers in order to have the tires track one specific way or another.

We do rig the steering. Rigging the steering assures that the aircraft tracks a line parallel to the longitudinal acces of the aircraft, when on the ground. Usually, this assures that that aircraft will taxi straight.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

FredT

Fri May 12, 2006 3:17 am

In fact, the boggies are allowed to swivel on some aircraft to reduce the load from crosswing landings. That's how important it is to have them perfectly aligned...  Smile

You will always scrub so much rubber from the tires from normal operations that the alignment won't make much difference one way or another if it is slightly off.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

fr8mech

Fri May 12, 2006 6:01 am

Wow, I can't believe I wrote 'acces'. I meant 'axis' of course.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

isuA380B777
Topic Author

Fri May 12, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 1):
Fr8mech

Quoting FredT (Reply 2):
FredT

Thank you very much for your inputs. This information is very helpful to me.
Thanks again

Regards

HAWK21M

Sat May 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Not sure what you mean by Wheel Alignment.Is it Balancing of the Wheel hub to the Tire,so as to be as uniformed weighted 360 deg.
The Wheels bearings ride on the Axle attached to the Shock strut [Oleo] Inner cylinder.

Some Aircraft have a tilt provided to the Gear when off the Ground to enable fittment in to the WW on retraction & adequate clearence while Extending out of the WW on extension.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

isuA380B777
Topic Author

Sat May 13, 2006 6:44 pm

Hi Mel

What I meant by the allignment is the accuracy wheels position when comparing to the steering.

Thanks for your input. It really helps

Isu

T prop

Sat May 13, 2006 7:00 pm

When I used to work on Piper Chieftains, there was in fact an alignment procedure in the maint manuals. Basically one would measure the distance between the main wheels at the front and at the back of the wheel, and then shim the gear torque links as required.

I have yet to see any alignment procedure on larger aircraft.

T prop.

ReidYYZ

Sun May 14, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting T prop (Reply 7):
I have yet to see any alignment procedure on larger aircraft.

A few years ago, there was a Tristar on C-check and there was a workcard to specifically check the alignment of the main bogeys vs. a fixed reference on the fuse. With the aircraft completely jacked up (for other work) the mm procedure was to locate a specific rivet head on the underside of the fuse (near the ext. power panel) and find another specific rivet head under the C2 cargo door area in the ctr line of the fuse. Drop plumb lines and snap a chalk line along the floor. Same thing for the bogies. Find reference points (ctr of jack points, front and back) drop lines and measure across at specific points. Any adjustment would be done with shims/washers where the upper and lower halves of the mlg torque links meet. It is not however a regular thing that is done. I think it was a result of gear change on the check.