Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

orlando666
Topic Author

77W TAKE-OFF Question

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:50 am

any 77W pilots out there: during un-contained engine failure during take off (after rotation started) can the aircraft perform auto-land (asymetric thrust system) or is the aircraft then manually flown? or does the procedue depend on airline?

Grbld

RE: 77W TAKE-OFF Question

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:36 am

What do you mean by uncontained engine failure? The only thing I know if an uncontained engine FIRE which is something totally different. With an engine fire, the engine may still provide normal thrust but you'll make a contained engine shutdown procedure. If the engine just fails, it fails, whether it explodes, falls off, flames out or whatever.

The aircraft CAN perform an autoland on one engine, there are plenty of twins who can do it without the 777's asymmetric thrust system. Many however, are not certified, but will do it nicely. Whether you'll do it as the pilot or land it manually, that's mostly up to your own judgment.

Grbld

dw747400

Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting Grbld (Reply 1):
What do you mean by uncontained engine failure?

I assume he is reffering to one or more fan blades penetrating the cowling. I'd imagine the ability of the autopilot to fly the aircraft would depend on if their was any signifcant structual or systems damaged caused by the failure. Even if the autopilot could handle the situation, I have a feeling most pilots would choose to hand-fly the aircraft, at least on short final.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

HAWK21M

Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 2):
I assume he is reffering to one or more fan blades penetrating the cowling

Irrespective that would be an IFSD.
In An Emergency would a Pilot want total control irrespective of Available Autoland. 
regds
MEL

[Edited 2006-06-11 06:36:21]
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Grbld

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 2):
I assume he is reffering to one or more fan blades penetrating the cowling.

I assume nothing!  Smile

What if a blade penetrates the cowling? I think that would be very rare since the blade will be contained within the inner layer of the nacelle and perhaps go aft through the bypass area of the engine, creating some more damage.

But like I said, it doesn't really matter whether it just flamed out, blew up, fell off or turned inside out. Shut the engine off, if not done so, take care of everything and land.

Even though the plane may not be CERTIFIED to do an autoland, I can imagine instances where I'd do one anyway. The question was, can the aircraft do it? Yes, it can. And that's good to know, because if you did depart with weather below CAT I landing minimums and you need to return and do a CAT III approach and autoland on one engine (regardless of whether you should or should not go to your takeoff alternate), you CAN, even though the aircraft may not be certified to do so.