Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dougloid

RE: Tricks Of The Trade.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting N8076U (Reply 49):

The best one I've seen personally is when a guy's "dog" (pull-around smaller toolbox) was taken over to the overhead hoist, cabled to the hoist hook, and then the "up" and "deadman" buttons hoseclamped down, then the control head was slipped onto the hook as well. The toolbox and control head went up, up and away, and stopped when the hoist reached it's maximum up travel at the top of the wide-body hangar and must have been 80 or 90 feet above the ground. It took the guy a good hour of looking around before somebody mentioned that maybe his tools flew away, as a hint. When that didn't work, a more to-the-point individual told him that he should probably start pointing his eyes up rather than down in the search for his doggie. The look on his face was beyond priceless, as he finally spotted his box, swaying in the breeze.

Way back in the day I worked in a paper mill as a millhand. There was a guy who used to swipe the gas for our forklifts. This was in the middle of an upstate new york winter. So we watched him and sure enough he'd come to our work station when he thought nobody was looking and lift the jeep cans. So we took one of the jeep cans and filled it to about two inches to the top with water and topped it off with gas and put it back in the locker. Sure enough a couple hours later he comes over to the work station when w're on break, takes out the can, hefts it, opens it up and gets a good sniff and off he goes to his Pontiac that was parked out behind the mill and pours it in. That damn Pontiac sat there from November to the spring thaw.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

nitrohelper

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:01 pm

We had a friend of the boss who would park his car next to the overhead door so it was a pain for us to get in or out. We put STP on the bottom side of his wiper blades,and laughed about a rainy day surprise. One day he came in bitching to the boss about what happen on the freeway when it started to rain,,,my helper spit out his coffee as the guy started to tell about his problem!
This guy was so dumb that we got him two more times before he stopped parking by the door. The wheel bearing grease on the underside of the passenger side door handle helped too! (guess his wife didn't like that) .

miamiair

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:03 am

Last of my Get Even series for dealing with idiots, stool pidgeons, and malingerers...

On the swing shift there was a security guard that toured the hangars in his golf cart, was a general hemmorhoid and had the nasty habit of eating people's food that was in the shop refrigerator... One of our guys bought a couple of cat food cans, removed the label, and replaced it with a Starkist Tuna label... It does not stop there...He began to really annoy everyone that one night we were working the horizontal stabilizer mod on 727. Half of the crew was up on the tail stands and we notice that the rent-a-cop had fallen asleep in his cart just forward of the left wing. Two guys went and quietly moved 55-gal trash can about 15 yds behind him. One other mechanic went to the shop, got an empty two-litre bottle, crushed some dry ice and added some water...

(WARNING, INJURY CAN OCCUR WITH THIS, DON'T TRY IT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING)

He capped the bottle and put some refuse over it and rejoined us on the stand. This guy was snoring so loud we could here it. When it went off, it was LOUD. He must of soiled himself something fierce as he fell out out of the golf cart. We were laughing so hard we almost pissed ourselves. We never saw him again...

Quoting Nitrohelper (Reply 51):

This is down right nasty...

Get a quart of Skydrol, empty it into a glass mayonaise jar. Get a piece of cardboard (like what is behind a pad of paper), cover the jar, and in one swift motion, invert the jar, placing it on the offender's roof. Quickly pull the carboard out. Now the jar cannot be easilly covered. When an attempt to remove the jar is made or try to reverse the "lid" proccess, it will empty out...
Makes a mess, and the paint on the car doesn't like it much either...

Last but not least..

Get some decent sized fish and make a puree of them. Yes, you are making chum. Place it in a large jar, and let it sit in the sun for a week or two... This stuff will be ripe. Pour the slop (without puking) onto the area below the windshield of the offender's car. This will seep into the vent areas and will make any travel in said vehicle un-bearable...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

aogdesk

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 52):
got an empty two-litre bottle, crushed some dry ice and added some water...

I concur. The dry ice trick works, and it is LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MD11Engineer

Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 46):
And last but not least, we had a real practical joker in our crew that took offense to a hangar rat coming into our shop at break time and would smoke at our table. He had is own ash tray, so the joker one day added a small amount of gunpowder to the ashes...When the cigarette was placed in ash tray....FLASH...SMOKE...Guy fell out of his chair...never came back.

What about a fire bottle squib with leads hooked up and taped to the bottom of a chair ( has to be made ofstout wood to catch the shrapnell!) in the break room? The guys at Interflug did this to another guy. When he was sitting on his chair one guy fired the squib right under the other guy's bottom.... Loud bang!

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 53):
got an empty two-litre bottle, crushed some dry ice and added some water...

I concur. The dry ice trick works, and it is LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or tetra packs filled with acetylen/oxygen from a gas welder and thrown into a forge!

Back where I did my apprenticeship they used to have a very sloppy apprentice. This guy never deemed it necessary to lock his toolbox when he went home, even though he was told repeatetly. One day he went home and, as usual, left his toolbox open. The guys took it and first went to the scrap metal bin and filled it up with assorted scrap (screws, nuts etc.) to increase it's weight from about 10 kgs to 40-50 kgs. Then the went to the pneumatic grease gun and filled it up with grease 7, and finally adding talcum powder as a decoration, before closing it up again and putting it where they got it from.
Next day the apprentice came and almost slipped a disk when he tried to lift the now much heavier box. Then he has to spend almost 2 hours cleaning up the mess. And finally, adding insult to injury, the supervisor came in while he was cleaning up and told him something like this: "Ah, forgot to lokck your toolbox again? That you know it, wthose two hours you needed to clean up, you won't go home until you worked them this afternoon!"
The guy never left his toolbox unlocked anymore.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

SkydrolBoy

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:01 am

We had an new apprentice that liked to play practical jokes on everyone, but he was always on guard waiting for someone to finally get him back. Finally one day he and a licensed mech got sent out to another airport about 1.5hrs drive away to go rescue one of our a/c there that wouldn't start, well they left in such a rush that he forgot to lock his toolbox. Seeing this as our opportunity, we quickly emptied the bottom drawers on his roll-away while another guy made a quick dash to the local seafood store. We lined the seams of the drawers with duck tape, and then proceeded to fill them with water, and our accomplice returned with 12 live crab in tow. we removed the rubber bands from the claws and dropped them in the drawers. I never seen anything so funny in my life when the apprentice finally came back and reached into his box bare handed to pull out the crabs. I never realized how vicious crabs could be till i saw him pull his arm out of the bottom drawer with three crabs attached.

Dougloid

Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:41 am

This is a general dirty tricks discussion so here's one. A guy I knoew was getting evicted from his pad in Huntington Beach because the landlord didn't like the people he had over...Ray was a bit of a gay blade and the LL did not like the demi monde.

So Ray gets this other guy and on the day he's moving out they:

Epoxy all the light bulbs into the fixtures
Pull off the faceplates on the wall fixtures, pull the waires out real hard and dyke them off so they sort of snap back a ways
Opens up the hatch for the water meter outside (where they often are in Cali) and mixes up a nice batch of Pourock and fills the enclosure in.

Now...I never did anything when I was moving out except epoxy the light bulbs in the sockets and put strips of plastic in all the exhaust fans to make noise.

MD11Engineer

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:28 am

I knew a plasterer, who was once doing a "black" (illegal tax free) job plastering and wallpapering the walls of a house. With the job almost done, just the sitting room to go, the landlord suddenly decided to pay the guy less than the agreed wages, daring him to complain to the police.
The plasterer didn't say anything. When the landlord was gone, he chiseled a flat hole into the wall of the sitting room. Then he went to the next supermarket and bought a big fish. He nailed that fish into the hole and covered it with a thin layer of plaster, after which he wallpapered the room.
Next day he went to the landlord to get the pay.

A few days later the fish would ripen and the smell penetrate the wall, without anybody being able to find out where the smell came from.
The landlord wasn't able to rent out the house.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 am

I hate to derail the thread  Wink but I wanted to give a heads up to everyone living in the US. On Tuesday (July 25th) night on Discovery, "Dirty Jobs" will include a segment about cleaning an aircraft fuel tank. Looks like a KC-135. Maybe we'll see some tricks of the trade.

For those of you who have missed this wonderful program, "Dirty Jobs" involves Mike Rowe (the host) getting to do all sorts of dirty jobs (exterminator, roughneck, mushroom picker, garbage sorter, storm drain cleaner, ostrich wrangler, terracotta maker, sugar factory cleaner.........). This guy is funny in a very understated way and not afraid to poke fun at himself.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

2H4

Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 58):
all sorts of dirty jobs (exterminator, roughneck, mushroom picker, garbage sorter, storm drain cleaner, ostrich wrangler, terracotta maker, sugar factory cleaner.........)

Has he dared to try his hand at being a mod over in Civil Aviation?

Now THAT's a dirty job....  scared 

Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Dougloid

Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:58 pm

I hate to derail the thread but I wanted to give a heads up to everyone living in the US. On Tuesday (July 25th) night on Discovery, "Dirty Jobs" will include a segment about cleaning an aircraft fuel tank. Looks like a KC-135. Maybe we'll see some tricks of the trade.

Right here in advance I must say bruthah, I FEEL your pain...one too many tank and plank inspections on Jetstars and Falcon 20s here....getting inside them when there's been corrosion working is bad indeed.

Matter of fact, I didn't work on it but Kenny Rogers' BAC111 was taken out of service because of corrosion in the tanks...

mandala499

Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Duct Tape tricks anyone?

Or "how to cause a delay for the traffic in front or behind you"... Hehehehe...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

flymatt2bermud
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:37 pm

I hate to derail the thread but I wanted to give a heads up to everyone living in the US. On Tuesday (July 25th) night on Discovery, "Dirty Jobs" will include a segment about cleaning an aircraft fuel tank. Looks like a KC-135. Maybe we'll see some tricks of the trade.

Thanks! Your program suggestion aligns with my intent of this thread. While I am enjoying the levity direction it has turned, I was thinking benefits (tricks) of a productive nature. That being said, laughter in the workplace can also instill 'espirit de corp' and the shift can seem to pass more quickly. The comments are quite interesting!!

"Trix are for kids!" Roll thread roll!
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

miamiair

Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:14 pm

I will consider myself fortunate when it comes to fuel tank work; mainly 707s and DC-8s. Compared to the RJs, I was working in a palace. Then again we had plenty air conditioning, drop lights, etc. What I hated was when the airplane was de fueled to chase down a leak.

Dougloid

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 63):
I will consider myself fortunate when it comes to fuel tank work; mainly 707s and DC-8s. Compared to the RJs, I was working in a palace. Then again we had plenty air conditioning, drop lights, etc. What I hated was when the airplane was de fueled to chase down a leak.

Of course, there are always those people wh do not mind contact dermatitis, and for them I say, get on in there bruthah.

I personally think the next Nobel Peace Prize ought to go to the guy who invented Click Patches. If he was around here I'd buy him a sixpack and a lapdance at the local strip bar.

http://www.theflightshop.com/ClickBond/Click_Patch.php

nitrohelper

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:08 am

Fun thread,glad to know I'm not the only "jack-off repairman" out there. Two more, the shop rag tied through the universal joint on the drive shaft can produce a nice "thumping" sound (like a flat tire) as it hits the floorboard when leaving the shop after work.
One that's harder to find is the "extra" wheel weights added to a rim, on the rear it is kind of mild , but on the front it can be a hand full. We had a foreman that repaired his front end (shocks,ball joints,tie rod ends)on his "p.o.s" car before a front end shop finally found them! (we did front & rear on him, one every few days so it slowly got worse)
The ground up fish down the fresh air is nasty !, and I thought the fish under the rear seat cushion was bad, wow you airplane guys put us car jockeys to shame!!!  embarrassed 

[Edited 2006-07-23 19:16:10]

FlyHoss

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 19):
From the pilot point of view...always open the yogurt facing away from you!!

I made this very mistake one morning, the yogurt sprayed my black tie. I laughed at myself, but before I could say anything about it, the FO said, "You've been Clinton-ized!" It still makes me laugh.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

ThirtyEcho

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Rough piston engine after a steep descent?

Carefully lean the mixture enough to burn off carbon fouling and return it to normal.

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:44 pm

Quoting FlyHoss (Reply 66):
Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 19):
From the pilot point of view...always open the yogurt facing away from you!!

I made this very mistake one morning, the yogurt sprayed my black tie. I laughed at myself, but before I could say anything about it, the FO said, "You've been Clinton-ized!" It still makes me laugh.

rotfl 

I will say it again. Poke a hole in the lid with your fork before opening!
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:04 am

For those waiting for Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" cleaning the fuel tank of a KC-135, it's tonight (Tuesday July 25) at 9p Eastern on Discovery. I'm guessing 8p Central.

ReidYYZ

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:42 pm

cleaning an aircraft fuel tank.

While temporarily laid-off from my current employer, I did some contract work at Canadair, working CL415 water bomber preflight. The job entailed fixing problems not carried out on assembly (someone out sick, or doing thier job wrong for a while before someone noticed etc...) before they went for test flight. My last two weeks there I got the pleasure of scraping out all the WRONG PRC that some dill-hole applied in the water tanks. Having got the call back (told it was a temp lay-off, and it was) I quit a week sooner and managed to use a pass for a week down in old Me-hee-co.
At a previous employer, there was another ass kissing desk polisher on an overseas assignment. While he was gone in the middle of February, his little VW Rabbit/pick-up got a garden hose spray over the course of a few days, here and there. At the end he was facing minimum 4" of ice all around and as much as 8" at the base of the windshield. Someone even got an ice-scrapper, with a glove on it for good measure frozen to the windshield ice pack. It took an entire day with a/c heater at full blast to loosen the ice around the 'skirt' so it could be moved into the hangar to thaw out the rest.
Then there was the guy whom was very meticulous about his motorcycle, spent entire day cleaning it after 1-2 rides etc... His then roomate, who was quite the prankster, dropped a small puddle oil on the ground under it, and left for work. By the time the perpetrator of this plan came home, there it was, all 10,000 parts spread out over the garage floor looking for this phantom leak. The truth never did come out.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:37 pm

Quoting ReidYYZ (Reply 70):
His then roomate, who was quite the prankster, dropped a small puddle oil on the ground under it, and left for work. By the time the perpetrator of this plan came home, there it was, all 10,000 parts spread out over the garage floor looking for this phantom leak. The truth never did come out.

Surprising He didn't bother to do a leak check. Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Then there was the guy whom was very meticulous about his motorcycle, spent entire day cleaning it after 1-2 rides etc... His then roomate, who was quite the prankster, dropped a small puddle oil on the ground under it, and left for work. By the time the perpetrator of this plan came home, there it was, all 10,000 parts spread out over the garage floor looking for this phantom leak. The truth never did come out.

That's priceless. I love pranks played on the truly anal.

BTW Dirty Jobs was great. He had to fix the sealant inside a wing tank, and then detach a bladder from the inside. They capped it off by taking him along on a refueling mission. The commanding Colonel piloted.

I have seen lots of docus on air refueling, but they never show the guts of the operation. It was very interesting to see how you actually clean the tanks.

Some choice moments:
Mike Rowe looking at the access door to the integral tank: "That's not a door!"
Specialist: "Yes it is."

Mike RoMike Rowe: "How do you get the smell come out?"
Seargeant in the tank with him: "I don't think it ever really comes out."

Mike Rowe wriggling out of the tank: "My body is not supposed to bend this way."

Dougloid

Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 72):

That's priceless. I love pranks played on the truly anal.

People who drive Porsches are the worst. There was a guy who owned a Porsche back in the day when I worked at an auto parts store...we used to drive him crackers by calling it the Pooch. We had this sticky black motorcycle chain lube and every once in a while someone would spray a can of the stuff on the bottom of the engine and on the ground and say "Hey Ronny, is your Pooch leaking oil again?"....he'd spend the next two days of his vacation time over at the Porsche dealer....what a dufus.

miamiair

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 73):

Tormentors...The whole lot of you!

How can you visit such mischief on these poor souls?

Yeah right, who am I to talk.

Back in the day of hub cabs, you could always toss in a lug nut and let it roll around and drive the owner nuts, or ...

Stick a large fish head in the hub cap...

Last one for today...

We had one mooch that would come into our shop to borrow just about anything that wasn't nailed down. One of our resident evil do-ers (yes, there were several) bought some deer lure, loaded it into a syringe with a needle, and as the borrower was walking by his work bench, he zapped him with a healthy squirt...

He had the proverbial green cloud following him, clearing out paths wherever he went. He got this treatment a couple times over the course of a month...

He did get the message.

n8076u

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:26 am

BTW Dirty Jobs was great. He had to fix the sealant inside a wing tank, and then detach a bladder from the inside. They capped it off by taking him along on a refueling mission.

I saw the show as well. Very interesting. I didn't realize how clean they kept those aircraft, as I am used to dirty airliners. But honestly, it wasn't that "dirty" of a job compared to some of the stuff he's done, but interesting to see nonetheless for an aviation nut like myself. The in-flight filming was cool to see as well. Make him grind corrosion in the aft cargo pit under the lav on a 727 for 8 hours like I've done before during heavy checks, then we'll have something "dirty".  Wink

Where I used to work, we had a refrigerator in our break room where everyone kept their food, and at least once or twice a week, someone's lunch or drink would come up missing. So this one guy buys a lemonade drink, pours out half and pisses in the bottle to fill 'er up. Then he made some brownies filled with ex-lax and makes sure to use clear plastic wrap over the dish, so the goodies are clearly visible. The next day, half of the brownies disappeared, as did the drink. We checked the sick-call list that next day, as we figured it may be one of those people, but we never came up with a good suspect. We never figured out who was stealing the stuff. I recall the theft tapering off after that.

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

Starlionblue

Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting N8076U (Reply 75):
Make him grind corrosion in the aft cargo pit under the lav on a 727 for 8 hours like I've done before during heavy checks, then we'll have something "dirty"

Suggestions for the show are always solicited here http://community.discovery.com/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/8251971108. Please recommend it and invite him. Big grin I'm sure they wouldn't mind doing another aircraft segment as long as it is different. Civilian and corrosion instead of military and fuel sounds pretty different.

My favorite part of any show is Mike Rowe's understated humor, often with himself as the butt of the joke. Most people couldn't get away with those jokes, but his delivery makes it possible.

Tod

Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Nitrohelper (Reply 51):
We put STP on the bottom side of his wiper blades

For a more immediate effect, write a word on the windshield with STP.
Almost nothing takes it off completely. The windshield may look clean until it gets wet, then the word re-appears. MEK seems to be one of the few remedies.

Pour the slop (without puking) onto the area below the windshield of the offender's car.

I've got a three year old unopened half gallon of eggnog saved for this task.
 yuck 

The automotive guys really love it when you throw an extra check ball or spring into their basket of parts when they are rebuilding a carb or automatic transmission.

A while back, we had fun with an engineer that thought he new everything and was continually bragging about how great the gas mileage was in his new car. Some of the guys descided to help him out and gradually added gas to his tank everyday until he though he was getting double the mileage he really was. He bragged and bragged. Then they stopped adding gas. He couldn't figure what was up and took the car back to dealership and demanded it to be fixed. He never did catch on, hope he does lurk here.  shhh 

Tod

ReidYYZ

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 71):
Surprising He didn't bother to do a leak check.

I love pranks played on the truly anal.

That was the point. He didn't care where it came from, only that it came from somewhere and that annoyed him to no end.

flymatt2bermud
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:00 pm

This wasn't a trick but a laugh which I think fits in. We had a new girl at work. One day at lunch she came into the office shocked that her car had been stolen. She had a nice little white Mazda. So a couple of us went to the parking lot to investigate. We looked where she told us it was and it was not to be 'seen'! So we called the police and an officer arrived to take a report, the girl was just devastated. While the report was being taken, I looked over to the parking spot where she said her car had been. I noticed a brown Mazda? I walked up to the car and couldn't see inside because of the tinted windows (this was 1979). I put my face to the window to try to see in because this was the exact model of her car. It was like that Jeep commercial--when I pulled back I had this residue on my forehead. I said "hey, is THIS your car?" She said no hers was white. By this time we figured out the vehicle had the same tag number.

The car had been parked on the outside of a fence behind a Piper Arrow that had just been run up following an oil change by it's owner. He did a good job except for one thing. And it was so long ago I don't remember, it seems he didn't tighten the oil filter or maybe left the drain plug out. Either way, the prop blast was perfectly across her car and the oil completly covered it. The body, the windows, the grill, the air intake. That car and the fence were never the same.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 79):

Amazing all sides of the Car was covered.How long would that run Be.
regds
MEL

nitrohelper

Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Tod (Reply 77):
The automotive guys really love it when you throw an extra check ball or spring into their basket of parts

I did that to a friend that was re-building a trans, normally he appreciates a good joke, but that one really got him pissed-off. Took the trans apart twice before we confessed!
Years ago (non-leaded gas) we heard about the adding gas. Had a big mouth guy bragging about his new car's mileage, so we did the deal for two months, stopped for a month ,then started taking some out. Same deal, the car dealership finally told him to go somewhere else,thought he was nuts, the service manager told him to his face! He wrote a letter to Volkswagen, and they said the high MPG was not possible. He was still pissed that he got screwed.

kaddyuk

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:01 am

Came up with another one today...

I was changing an oil pump and had very oily gloves, meant that i couldnt grip any of my tools, to save constantly changing the gloves. I kept a can of FE-10 (De-Greaseant) on the platform and anytime i needed a burst of traction between fingers and component. I gave my hands a quick blast with the FE-10

Helped out in some really sticky (or is that slippery) situations...

thumbsup 
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

CanadianNorth

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:14 pm

Not related to Aviation, but still a simple one I heard from the mechanic at the shop I worked out of at the golf course over the summer...

One year there was a young guy working there, who drove a small car to work, and it was a front wheel drive. What the rest did on his last day for the summer was got a small jack, put it in a place where you couldn't see it without actually getting down on your hands and knees, and raised the front end just a touch, not to the point where it was noticeable but just enough to let the wheels spin without moving the car. Took him a few minutes to figure out how the hell he got his car stuck on flat, solid ground...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

pjflysfast

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 80):

It wouldn't take that long if it was close.

flymatt2bermud
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:23 am

T

Quoting PJFlysFast (Reply 84):
Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 80):

It wouldn't take that long if it was close.

Yep the nose of the car was parked facing the airport security fence and the tail of the aircraft was to the fence. I would estimate the car and aircraft were no more than 6 feet apart. The car was white and its color was totally unidentifiable.

2H4

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 85):
The car was white and its color was totally unidentifiable.

The airplane must have suffered a similar fate, no?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 85):
Yep the nose of the car was parked facing the airport security fence and the tail of the aircraft was to the fence. I would estimate the car and aircraft were no more than 6 feet apart. The car was white and its color was totally unidentifiable.

Amazing.I would have never thought such a possibility until I read this.Pity no pics.
regds
MEL

usnseallt82

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Thread starter):
Tricks Of The Trade.

If you ever get your CFI, make sure you carry a supply of plastic parachute men in your small aircraft in order to bombard the competitor's airport during dull periods.  checkmark 

(if anyone asks, I know nothing Big grin )
Crye me a river

KBGRbillT

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting ReidYYZ (Reply 31):
Think it through, nobody wants to lead somebody by the hand especially if they are paid the same as the rest of the staff. This is one of my largest pet peeves.

I loudly 2nd that!! It's even worse when they get paid more than you and you still have to carry them on your back and they don't even have a conscience about it!!

HAWK21M

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 pm

Quoting KBGRbillT (Reply 89):
loudly 2nd that!! It's even worse when they get paid more than you and you still have to carry them on your back and they don't even have a conscience about it

Guess the Guys who stick to the rules are not the popular ones  Sad
Atleast We sleep well  Smile
regds
MEL

TimePilot

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 1):
Adding DC4 electrical grease to a whistling door seal will normally shut it up...

Sorry, but isn't a whistling door seal a bad sign??  Wow!

Lemurs

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting TimePilot (Reply 91):
Sorry, but isn't a whistling door seal a bad sign??

Airplanes leak tiny amounts of air out of all kinds of places...a door seal is probably one of the most logical ones to have a problem from time to time. The presurization system is designed to compensate for the leaking...now if it was a WOOSHING door seal...then you might want to look around for some masks hanging from the cieling...
 Wink
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

TimePilot

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:09 pm

I saw "whistling" and thought JAL Flight 123: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines_Flight_123  Sad

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting TimePilot (Reply 91):
Sorry, but isn't a whistling door seal a bad sign

Depending on the seal location & the Extent of the leak.Small leaks can be plugged this way.
regds
MEL

flymatt2bermud
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 86):
The airplane must have suffered a similar fate, no?

Actually, the pilot/owner tried to deny any responsibility at first but the entire underside of his aircraft was coated just as badly as the car. Then to top it off he makes the girl file a claim for reimbursement from his insurance company. I don't remember the clean up costs, she always claimed she could smell oil anytime she turned on the a/c or ventilation.

pjflysfast

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Applying wax to acrylic windshields will aid in dispersing water. But a much better benefit is moisture will less likely penetrate material and reduce the incidence of cracking.

ThirtyEcho

Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:03 pm

If you bounce in the seat three times while flying a Cessna 152, the airplane will roll into a standard rate turn to the left.

Going right, you need a passenger.

CRJonBeez

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:33 am

that's not very nice! the guys at work did the same to me when they knew i had just changed my oil that morning. they were even smart enough to put a bit of oil on the filter and the "insulation" on the inside of the fairing. i about pooped my pants when i saw it. at first, i figured it was a prank, but they knew me well enough to know i would check all the obvious mistakes first. i assumed it had a slow leak since the sight was still showing full oil. they kept it up for a few hours until it drove me to the point of insanity. i got all my tools out and headed over to clock out early and start tearing the fairings off when they gave in and told me

lowrider

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:58 pm

I used to work at a location that required about a mile drive down a dirt road. There one one guy who always knew how to do everyone else's job better than they did, and his screw ups were never his fault. While he was the target of several jokes, I only participated in one. We waited until he had washed his car one day (not hard to figure out because he was proud of his Olds and how clean he kept it) and while he was off site, we went out with a can of clear wax and proceeded to write all sorts of foul things on his car. The was collected dirt and dust faster than the rest of the car, so the dirtier it got, the better you could read it. It took several washings to remove the wax.

Another trick only works in very cold climates. All that is required is about a pound of processed lunch meat. The shiny layer of preservatives will freeze quickly in sub zero temps. Once frozen, the thinly sliced meat is usually there until thaw, as no one wants to take a putty knife to thier car or snowmobile to try and scrape it off. One person tried spraying water on the car and ended up freezing the locks solid.

Finally, pennies and epoxy can be used to keep people out of various places. Simply use a generous amount of epoxy to cover the key hole with a penny. Sit back and watch the person try and figure it out. It usually results in the drilling of the lock.
Proud OOTSK member