Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaddyuk
Topic Author

Brown Trousers?

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:12 am

Has anyone whilst at work (be that pilots or engineers) had a Brown Trouser moment?

Recently whilst climbing into the stab bay of a 744, my accomplice decided to move the lifter down whilst i was half in the hatch... let it be said that a few naughty words slipped from my mouth as i felt the lifter disappear from underneath my feet and i scrambled for life to grab onto anything to prevent my imminent fall to the ground... Luckily for me, he only dropped the lifter 4 or 5 inches and i quickly got my footing back. However i was " " this close to well and truly ruining a pair of my trousers...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

2H4

RE: Brown Trousers?

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:25 am

I had one during an incident when there was smoke in the cockpit, upon realizing that the source of the smoke and heat was inches from a fuel line.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AirWillie6475

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:08 am

I thought this was a thread about UPS pilot uniforms.

cancidas

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:23 am

same here... strange looking uniform they have.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

n8076u

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:43 am

Once I was brake-riding a 747-400, which was being towed from the terminal to a maintenance area. We were holding short of the active and then were cleared to cross it, with the added instruction to "expedite" our crossing. The tug driver, for reasons I don't undertand, leadfooted it and didn't let off until we were well past the runway and almost at the left 90 degree turn we had to make. We must have been going close to 20 or 25 mph. He slams on the brakes and tries to turn. Before I can even ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing, I feel and hear things I had never experienced before. I spotted the tug in a place and position I knew it couldn't be in if the towbar was still hooked up, so I slammed on the brakes and almost threw myself into the windshield. Damn, those brakes work like RIGHT NOW.

Apparently, when he tried to brake and turn, the aircraft started pushing the tug around once into the turn. The towbar shearpin broke when the nosegear steering limit was reached, then the towbar hit the tug and got bent in half. He then full-throttled the tug and tried to "save it", which just succeeded in breaking off the nose gear tow lugs, but in retrospect, that probably kept the nosegear from running into the tug broadside.

Luckily, I didn't get into any hot water, but the driver sure did. That was the first and the last time I moved an aircraft with that particular person. Luckily, the sheepskin covers on the cockpit seats are brown.  Wink

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

aogdesk

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Yep.....when you're employed by 5X, EVERYDAY is a brown trouser day.  Smile

Thought I might soil my pants when jumpseating once on a 757. got hit by lightning right at the base of the F/O's windshield. Sounded like an M-80 went off, blinding flash & an instant electrical burning smell. Didn't have time to crap my pants though...

HAWK21M

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Almost Every 3rd Night.Glad blue trousers do not look as Dirty.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

FlyDeltaJets

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Hey I'm not a pilot or engineer but I will still post. I was towing in a SAA 343 on gate 7 at JFK right after that big snowstorm that dropped record snow on NYC. The ground was all ice but the ops had to go on. As I was nearing the stop line i took my foot off the gas and something told me to look forward and I saw the towbar just drop off of the plane. I stopped and yelled to the captain to set brakes whiles trying to get the hell outta the tractor. The plane rolled over the towbar and stopped like 3 feet from the windshield of the tractor. The good news was the wx was the cause and Delta "forgave" me.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 7):
I saw the towbar just drop off of the plane

What was the Tow bar Lock Attachment like.
regds
MEL

SkydrolBoy

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:45 pm

I had a good scare this winter, we had just finished towing an aircraft, and parked it infornt of the hangar doors. At this hangar the ramp is sloped quite heavily towards the hangar doors. We chocked the a/c and set the brakes, i grabbed the front of the towbar and pulled the pin from the tug, as the tug was backing away from the a/c i realized that the plane was sliding on the icy ramp and pushing the chocks aswell towards the hangar and tug, and i was now steering it with the towbar in my hand. I yelled at the tug driver to stop so I could attempt to reconnect the towbar. And as I was steering the towbar i was praying that it would work and not kick the towbar to the side, otherwise i would have been the middle of a nosegear/tug sandwich.

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting SkydrolBoy (Reply 9):
I yelled at the tug driver to stop so I could attempt to reconnect the towbar

Did you succeed.
regds
MEL

NZ8800

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:04 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 10):
Did you succeed.

I guess he did, because he's alive and posting  Wink
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

aogdesk

Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting SkydrolBoy (Reply 9):
I yelled at the tug driver to stop so I could attempt to reconnect the towbar

Skydrolboy, what type of aircraft was it? I'm amazed that you got it hooked up, sounds like you had one chance to do it right. Do you wear a big S on the front of your costume and a cape in the back?  Smile

Alias1024

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:18 am

Try being a CFI, teaching somebody to land for the first time. Every day is a brown trouser day.

Here is my personal favorite. I am teaching a student touch and goes for the first time. Proper procedure is to retract the flaps after touchdown, then apply full power. Well he got it backward. Not a huge deal, the airplane (C-172) will still fly fine, we are just a little slow.

He realized he did it wrong just as he began to retract the flaps. His reaction to this discovery was to abort the takeoff. He pulled the power to idle while retracting the flaps, 100 feet above the ground, with about 700 feet of runway left and tall trees at the end. I took over and got us climbing out again, but that was a seriously uncomfortable feeling while the airplane sank toward the trees.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 11):
guess he did, because he's alive and posting

Injuries  Smile
regds
MEL

SkydrolBoy

Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 10):
Did you succeed.
regds
MEL

Yes i succeeded, barely, but I did it. I'm sure if i tried again to do it I would miss....LOL

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 12):
Skydrolboy, what type of aircraft was it? I'm amazed that you got it hooked up, sounds like you had one chance to do it right. Do you wear a big S on the front of your costume and a cape in the back?

It was a 727. No i don't wear a big S and a cape, but now that you mention it maybe I should make some modifications to my coveralls.

Leezyjet

Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Thread starter):
Recently whilst climbing into the stab bay of a 744, my accomplice decided to move the lifter down whilst i was half in the hatch... let it be said that a few naughty words slipped from my mouth as i felt the lifter disappear from underneath my feet and i scrambled for life to grab onto anything to prevent my imminent fall to the ground

Oh how I wish I was there to see that. Would have been ROTFLMAO !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

bsergonomics

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:09 am

This one was mostly my fault because I'm a sinner and I am going hell [translation: I smoke]. Following an unsuccessful test flight, I went out the back of the hangar for a smoke. Preoccupied by the implications of the test failure, I failed to notice 20 tonnes of helicopter being towed past me (this was unusual, but a vehicle had broken down on the usual towing path). I threw the cigarette on the ground and, as I was stamping on it before throwing the butt into the bin, I noticed some fluid on the ground about 3 feet away.

We didn't know at the time, but the reason for the mission abort was a fuel leak. That, combined with the blocked tow route and my cigarette nearly led to the loss of both the helicopter and yours truly.

Trust me, the lesson was learned VERY quickly...

Also, it reinforced the message that accidents rarely happen as a result of single actions. It takes a series of actions (or inactions) all happening at the same time.
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...