Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA933
Topic Author

LH Paycheck

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:54 pm

Since I am thinking of becoming a pilot with LH I was wondering what you earn - during certification
- as a young first officer
- as a first officer
- and as a senior captain
(before taxes)

thanks
united - It's time to fly!

mika

RE: LH Paycheck

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:25 am

Probably a good deal i would guess.

buslover

Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:58 am

If you do it for the money: Forget it!
The best airplane is the one you fly

UA933
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Buslover (Reply 2):

Nobody said anything about that. It's just that in todays situation where everything is becoming more expensive a person would be naive not to ask.

YZFOO7F

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting UA933 (Reply 3):
Nobody said anything about that. It's just that in todays situation where everything is becoming more expensive a person would be naive not to ask

absolutely. this website is very good for analyzing pilot salaries for most north american and a few international carriers, unfortunately LH isn't on there but you might be able to get an idea: www.airlinepilotcentral.com
Promise me you'll always leave the ground

PanHAM

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting UA933 (Thread starter):
Since I am thinking of becoming a pilot with LH I was wondering what you earn - during certification
- as a young first officer
- as a first officer

Should you make it to the initial tests. wipe this question completely off your hard disc. Don't even think about it, if you do, you will never pass the initial tests. If you do, you have to invest in your career because LH will demand a contribution to cover the cost of pilot training. They arrange loans, usually with first class Banks, bit you will have to pay these loans off, once you are a first officer.

It was said already, don't do it for the money. If they take you and you get a career, you will have a well paying job for life with all the benefits working for a blue chip company.

almost forgot that ö- we don't have paychecks in Germany. The money is autobanked monthly, minus taxes and the health/pension etc contribution.

[Edited 2006-08-06 23:48:29]
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

CptGermany

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 am

Two years ago or so I read that as a first officer you start out at about 7,000 Euro a month and the highest pay for a captain is 13,500 Euro a month if I remember correctly. This is before taxes and without any overpay for miscellaneous extras (I am not very familiar with the extras pilots get, maybe somebody else can some more input). Also, pilots flying for DE and LH Cargo earn a little less, but not much.

Besides, if you can't afford the pilot training, LH provides internal loans up to a certain amount which you have to pay back once you start flying.

Quoting Buslover (Reply 2):

checkmark , the tests and the training is hard. I wanted to become a pilot, however I am as motion sick as a human being can be, and my parents didn't want me to become "a bus driver in the air." (Disclaimer: I do not have anything against pilots...I envy and respect them. This is a quote from my parents)

AirWillie6475

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Quoting CptGermany (Reply 6):
my parents didn't want me to become "a bus driver in the air.

Anybody can drive a bus, not everybody can drive a plane. By the way, unless you live with your parents, who cares what the parents think?

flyinTLow

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Quoting www.lufthansa-pilot.de:

Wenn Sie ihre Linienausbildung abgeschlossen haben und als First Officer eingesetzt werden, bekommen Sie ein Jahresgehalt von rund 56 Tsd. €.

in English: When you have finished your line training and are dispatched as a First Officer, you will receive a yearly salary of around 56000 Euros.

You will have to subtract payments for your loan from that as well as a loss of license insurance.

Quoting www.lufthansa-pilot.de:

Nach acht bis zwölf Jahren erwartet Sie ein Kapitänsgehalt von rund 110 Tsd. € in der Einstiegsstufe.

in English: After eight to twelf years a Captain's salary of around 110000 Euros in the beginning awaits you.

Hope this helps. But yes, cannot agree more to what PanHAM said: You better not ask them something like that.

Hope I could help.

Cheers.

Thilo
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

UA933
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Thanks for the info and the hint not to ask them about the money. I was just wondering since they don't mention anything about that in the brochure!
Well I am going to try it and I hope it will work. Otherwise I am going to attend the course "Bachelor of Arts ín Aviation Management" at MUC. Seams nice aswell and I have talked to the responsible lady already!  Wink

Grbld

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:43 pm

Excuse me UA933, not to rain on your parade, but "I am thinking of becoming a pilot at LH" in itself is something you need to purge from your system right now.

One simply does not go out and say "I will become a pilot at Lufthansa (or KLM or BA or Air France etc etc etc)"

Getting in is extremely difficult and if you start aviation training, there's a big chance you'll end up at a different carrier, perhaps even in a foreign country. Your SALARY, which you're openly wondering about, will probably be much less than that at LH. For example, at Air Berlin, your schedule will be rough and the pay meagre.

If you want to become an airline pilot, then go for it! But do go for it and don't say "oh well, if I can't become a pilot with LH, I'll go do something else" because that just means you're not motivated enough to become a pilot. And you need to be motivated, because it's expensive and very risky.

Suffice to say that the pay at LH is good, likely the best in Germany. Which also means that all other airlines in Germany pay less. Flying shouldn't be about the money, it should be about the flying. Money is great, but having a job you enjoy is very important too. So ask yourself if you'd still want to fly if you made € 3500 per month before taxes for the rest of your career and only if your answer is 'yes', you should go for it.

Grbld

PADSpot

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 8):
in English: When you have finished your line training and are dispatched as a First Officer, you will receive a yearly salary of around 56000 Euros.

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 8):
in English: After eight to twelf years a Captain's salary of around 110000 Euros in the beginning awaits you.

Well, given that a pilot's training is much shorter than studying at a university (what is the most obvious alternative to most people who apply at LH after passing their A-levels) pay is quite good.

After about 5 years of study Business graduates can expect at max about 40,000€ entrance salary at the moment. People from Business Engineering or Business Information Systems can expect 42,000 to 46,000€, while engineers usually start at 46,000€ and more ... just to give you an orientation. It depends on where you apply, but these are a good averages.

What do LCCs pay their first officers? Certainly not 56,000€ I guess?!

aloges

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 pm

Whatever you choose to do, good luck in Sportallee! You'll need it... and don't screw up the personality questionnaire at the end of phase one.  Sad Yes, they will use it to nix you, even though the personality stuff is exactly what they check in phase two. You can pass everything else and still get thrown out because of that questionnaire.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

manu

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:02 pm

Asking how much you will make is not an invalid question. A love of aviation doesn't feed your family. These days, North American carriers are paying crap for new people and pilots are having to take salary cuts to sustain the market of low prices. So I think it was a valid question and well though out to put into a forum of pilots and aviation gurus.

As for Salary, if you really want to do it you'll find a way irrespective of the saraly you will make. I love my job and would get paid a lot more some place else if I left. Money isn't everything. Happiness is always worth more, but you gotta eat!

UA933
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Why does everybody think that I would do it for the money. If that would be the case then I would do sth. completely different and if I wasn't interested in aviation I would not attend this forum. That's a very rude behavior since some members just go out and assume sth. without knowing anything.

Manu: I totally share your opinion and wanted to achieve nothing else with this question!

Grbld

Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:58 pm

UA933,

My comments were indeed not about the cash but the lighthearted way in which you state that you "are thinking of becoming a pilot with LH". Asking what the salary is, is indeed a valid question and I know that many people are curious of the salaries that pilots at major airlines make.

The point I'm trying to make, is that (a) you're "thinking" about it and (b) it sounds like you assume that you can just get that job at LH if you want to.

In response to (a), your really have to WANT this job big time. Of course, nobody is 100% resolute and if you're still wondering what to do later in life, that's perfectly fine. But the way you ask your question now makes it seem as if the salary plays a big factor in whether your "thinking of becoming a pilot" will turn into "wanting to become a pilot". You can make decent to very good money as a pilot, so that's out of the equation

In response to (b), as I said above, you don't really pick a job, they pick you. In many industries, it's the other way around. You might have multiple job offers and you just decide what you want. As a pilot it's mostly that you grab hold of the one job that you can get, even if it's a crappy one in the beginning.

So just friendly advice from someone who's been there before, before you embark on a very expensive and risky journey. If you want it badly, then go for it, if you're not quite sure, better hold off for now.

Good luck!

Grbld

GRZ-AIR

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:03 am

You can expect 56-58k Euros depending on where in Europe you pay taxes. There are some tricks. Then again..."I plan on becoming a Pilot with Lufthansa" is something stuck deep in your brain which is going to make it difficult for you to pass the numerous selection tests.
Try www.pilotenboard.de for sleepless nights and all these crazy "Lufthansa or nothing pseudopilots". All the best and let us know how you performed in HAM.

regs,
P.
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 5):

almost forgot that ö- we don't have paychecks in Germany. The money is autobanked monthly, minus taxes and the health/pension etc contribution.

It is still referred to as a paycheck even if you don't receive an actual check. I have direct deposit, so I only receive a pay stub. This is the equivalent of the stub that comes with a physical paycheck. It has fun information about how much I pay in taxes and to whom.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo