Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lapa_saab340
Topic Author

Great Tu-144 Documentary (287MB File)

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 pm

For all of you SST fans out there:

http://video.aviacia.ru/?s=144

In Russian, 287MB, but very well worth the download even if you don't speak Russian. It has great footage of both the prototype Tu-144 and the production machines, including shots of mockups, interior cabin arrangements, and interviews with key players including test pilot Eduard Elyan (who was commander of the prototype 144 on the first flight)

There are also nice shots of Concorde going through its display routine at Le Bourget, and also of the Tu-144 crash in '73 shot from a good angle that I hadn't seen published before on Western programs.

It's a large file but well worth the download, the footage included has never been shown in any Western SST documentary that I've seen. A must see for any Tu-144/SST aficionados!

Enjoy!

turpentyine

RE: Great Tu-144 Documentary (287MB File)

Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:58 pm

thnx
it says that the commentary on it is turned off
is there one with the commentary?

DH106

Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Very interesting - wish I understood Russian !

Was there a section towards the end detailing the 2nd Tu-144 crash - near Alma Ata? There seemed to be footage of a crash site that wasn't from the Paris crash. One of the interviewees got quite animated - I think he was explaining the crash cause, pushing forwards on the controls, then pulling back (although this does sound like an explanation of the Paris crash).

turpentyine

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:08 pm

I speak Russian
He is talking about not the second crash but how they were testing the tu 144 with better more economical engines, but there was a fire in the engine. I believe it failed. So the plane went out of control and started to dive. The guy who was explaining the "crash" is the pilot form that plane. He was telling how he had to push down on the cotrols even more, for a brief moment, while the plane was diving. He said that after that he was able to slowly regain the conrtol and they landed. I duno why exactly he had tp push down more to regain control. I really dont like how they told the story I think certian things should of been explained in a better detail.
This flight showed that one of the engines failed and caused a fire but it also showed that plane behaved pretty stable and was able to withstand the engine fire and no damage to other controls was done.
Most of the people interviewd in the video were either test pilots that actually flew the tu144 or various engineers that created it and worked on the program.

turpentyine

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:09 pm

If u want to know more feel free to ask.

DH106

Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Great info Turpentyine - thanks for the interpretation  Smile

Have to say I was pretty enthralled by the footage even though I couldn't understand the dialog. Several people were obvious - Andrei Tupolev, and the pilot of the first flight Eduard Elyan I recognised.

It was obvious from the graphics at one point that they were discussing the cause of the Paris crash - the 144 was forced to pitch down sharply to avoid an overflying Mirage and was overstressed during the resulting hasty recovery pull-up manoeuvre. You can clearly see in the footage that the left wing fails, the aircraft rapidly rolls left to the vertical before the fuselage and tail fails and it falls in pieces.

turpentyine

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:14 am

They also tried to use some sort of a computer like an autopilot that they never used before. It was supposed to help make the maneuvers easier to perform. The pilots didnt want to do it becuase i dont think it was really tested before, but the flight directors pressured them. They wanted to try to do the show just as the Concorde did to prove that the plane was just as capable, but at the time it really wasnt. The picture of that device is shown in the back of the captain's seat.

DH106

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Turpentyine (Reply 6):
The picture of that device is shown in the back of the captain's seat.

Yes! I remember the picture focusing on that control box. Wondered what it was for.

tu144d

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:01 am

I've been trying for 2 days to get this download!!! I either get timed-out which i've corrected or it stalls. And when i try to resume, it asks for a passowrd. How long did it take you guys to get it? I'm so desperate to see this!!

[Edited 2007-01-19 20:20:07]

WSOY

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Tu144d (Reply 8):
I've been trying for 2 days to get this download!!! I either get timed-out which i've corrected or it stalls.

I managed to download it by using a download manager. The one I used was OrbitDownloader (freeware). Paste the following link into its "URL" window:
http://video.aviacia.ru/Tu-144/Bitva_za_sverxzvuk_Tu-144.avi. The downloading took little shy of 11 hours for me.

tu144d

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:53 am

Yup, I just got it. Took me 12 hrs. I left it on all night. I used "Download accelerator" which finally worked. It stopped prompting me for a password. Anyway, fantastic documentary!!! For a Tu-144 aficionado like myself, hence my screen name, this is pure bliss!! Now, I just have to get one of my fellow grad students to translate this for me and I'm all set.

-Vik-

WSOY

Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:53 am

I agree, great documentary. Lots of great stock material, also covering the concurrent development of Concorde. The Talking Heads appear well chosen and well-informed. Lots ands lots of speech, however, a bit of an effort to translate. My better half has an M.A. degree in Russian, as a matter of fact. A common project to add English subtitles to the programme, what would you say to that?

tu144d

Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:52 am

Sounds like a great idea!! My rudimentary understanding of the Cyrllic alphabet allowed me to capture most of the key names. I wish i had had time as an undergrad to study Russian. Unfortunately my Engineering classes consumed all my time. It was great when i took a class on supersonic aerodynamics though because i always thought of the Tu-144.