Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

highflyer9790
Topic Author

Noise After T/O On Airbuses

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:19 am

First and foremost, im not asking about the "dentist drill." stay calm, people.

Note sure if this has been posted before, i didnt find anything.

for some reason, on airbus aircraft usually, there is a sound similar to that of a F/A call beep tone. i always hear it after rotation coinsidentally around the time gear is coming up. is it related to that for anyreason?? a signal to the F/As that their safely off the ground? the F/As never start moving around until the aircraft is in climb config anyway around 3000ft.....

here are some videos with that sound:
underneath is the time you hear it:

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...lugdienst_Aviation_Video-7073.html
(1:14)

http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircra...Air_Lines_Aviation_Video-6864.html
(2:18)

thankx,
highflyer

9VSRH

RE: Noise After T/O On Airbuses

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Just recalling from memory here but it has something to do with the aircraft reaching a clean configuration (flaps fully retracted).
Cheers

Tristarsteve

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:00 pm

Could it be the No smoking signs going off with gear up? I know there is no smoking all the time now but perhaps the beep is still there

knoxibus

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:55 pm

Chimes can be associated with the Fasten Seat Belt Signs (FSB) and/or the No Smoking/Non Smoker Signs (NS).

These signs, when their associated switches in the cockpit are placed on AUTO, depend directly of several selectable actions, these are:

- Landing gear up
- Slats/Flaps retraction
- Some altitude setting also IIRC.

It works both ways (i.e. landing/take-off)

I believe the Air France pilots (not sure at all here) mess about with the switch (quick AUTO/OFF selection), just to make the chime sound, to indicate to the F/A they can start service, without having to extinguish the FSB signs for the passengers or having to do a direct PA.

longhauler

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 2):
Could it be the No smoking signs going off with gear up? I know there is no smoking all the time now but perhaps the beep is still there

That's exactly what it is. If the "no-smoking" signs were set to AUTO instead of ON, then they would extinguish upon gear retraction. However, the chime still sounds.

In this day and age though, the "no-smoking" signs are always set ON.

BA767s

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:07 pm

Im crew on A319's, That chime tells the Cabin crew that the gear is stowed and the aircraft has a positive rate of climb. This is usually when they relax from their take off positions and wait to be released.

The time from when the aircraft rolls onto the runway to when they hear that chime is when a high state of attention should me maintained, Its a critical stage of flight.

John  Smile

ThrottleHold

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting 9VSRH (Reply 1):
Just recalling from memory here but it has something to do with the aircraft reaching a clean configuration (flaps fully retracted).

Reaching clean config a few seconds after lift off?....I'd hope not!!

Once the gear is up and locked, the chime sounds and the illuminated EXIT signs at all exits extinguish. The NO SMOKING is programmed to remain on.

[Edited 2006-09-13 17:19:10]

phxplanes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:28 am

I was thinking it just might be a passenger hitting the flight attendant call button because on both videos the plane has barely got off the ground for the flight attendants to move around or loosen there seat bealts.

AirWillie6475

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:01 am

That's the gear up sound on the airbus. This comes up many times, do a search.

320tech

Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:47 am

I'm not sure you guys should be disagreeing with Longhauler ...

That's exactly what it is. If the "no-smoking" signs were set to AUTO instead of ON, then they would extinguish upon gear retraction. However, the chime still sounds.

Just out of curiousity, what would be the logic of telling the cabin crew that the gear is up? Can't you tell when the gear goes up? I can, and I don't fly every day.

AirWillie6475

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 9):
Just out of curiousity, what would be the logic of telling the cabin crew that the gear is up? Can't you tell when the gear goes up? I can, and I don't fly every day.

I don't know. The sound is made when the gear is retracted.

AC320tech

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:58 am

Sorry folks, good try but your incorrect. The noise is the Evacuation system going to off. On the ground and airborne for a few seconds after t/o, The Evac system is set to ARMED which means the lights on all the exits are eliminated and the proximity lighting on the isles is ready to go. This system turns off after t/o, and that is why you hear a bing after takeoff. I have sat in the exit row on many A320 flights and that is the exact noise it makes when the system dis-arms.

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 6):
Once the gear is up and locked, the chime sounds and the illuminated EXIT signs at all exits extinguish. The NO SMOKING is programmed to remain on.

That is correct, but the no smoking signs are able to be turned off and on.

Quoting 9VSRH (Reply 1):

Uh oh, if thats what happens, id consider not flying.

ThrottleHold

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting AC320tech (Reply 11):
That is correct, but the no smoking signs are able to be turned off and on.

True, but normally in the AUTO position, they will extinguish after gear retraction. Most airlines now have the software programmed so that the sign will remain on permanently even with the switch in AUTO.

320tech

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:56 am

The noise is the Evacuation system going to off.

The evacuation system - meaning the slides - are mechanical, so they don't turn off. The slides will fire if the door is opened with the slide armed, whether the airplane is flying or not. I don't know about the emergency lighting, I'll have to look that up.

zeke

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Thread starter):
for some reason, on airbus aircraft usually, there is a sound similar to that of a F/A call beep tone. i always hear it after rotation coinsidentally around the time gear is coming up. is it related to that for anyreason?? a signal to the F/As that their safely off the ground? the F/As never start moving around until the aircraft is in climb config anyway around 3000ft.....

Its gear up/gear down. Used by most airlines to signal to the cabin crew for the "no contact period", on takeoff from commencement of the takeoff roll to gear up, and on landing, gear down to the end of the landing roll is a no contact period where cabin crew are not to contact the cockpit crew under any circumstance.

AC320tech

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 13):
I don't know about the emergency lighting, I'll have to look that up.

That is what I ment, the bing sound is the Evac lighting turning out or "dis-armed".

Lucky42

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting AC320tech (Reply 15):
That is what I ment, the bing sound is the Evac lighting turning out or "dis-armed".

These kids really know their stuff don't they?

speedmarque

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:50 am

I fly A32x practically everyday. The "ding" accompanies the gear being retracted (or lowered for that matter) and coincides with the no-smoking signs (AND illuminated "EXIT" signs) going out, the latter no longer needed once airborne!!

The exception is our G-BUSx reg where the ding is heard at 10,000ft on the way up or down with the aforementioned lights going on or off.

Dont take any notice of other explanations......this is fact.

AC320tech

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 16):
These kids really know their stuff don't they?

Kid? Pardon me, but im 19...

AirWillie6475

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:48 pm

Wow now it make sense.

Lucky42

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Quoting AC320tech (Reply 18):

UMMM yea your a kid sorry but that is the way it is....

Lucky42

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Don't take it as an insult I wish I was a kid again maybe I could make better decisions than I did...

AC320tech

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:28 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 20):
UMMM yea your a kid sorry but that is the way it is....

Maybe in the US ahah, im in Canada and im legal to do whatever I want, Vote, Drink, Drink and then Vote. Ahahah

flyfisher1976

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting AC320tech (Reply 18):

Yup, you're a kid.

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Flyfisher1976 (Reply 23):
Yup, you're a kid

19 yr olds can be smart & enthusiastic.Noticed Quite a few recently.It depends on the Individual not the Age.But yes.We'd still call them kids  Smile
regds
MEL

320tech

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:26 pm

I looked up the emergency lighting system in the AMM, and found that, hey, everybody is right, to some degree. Unfortunately I forgot to check about the chime, so I will come back to this when I find out.

The emergency cabin lighting system doesn't disarm. It remains armed in the air, and will come on if power is lost from the essential bus. The door marker lights are on until the landing gear is retracted, and illuminate when it's extended.

As far as I can tell, the chime is tied to the illumination of the no-smoking sign, but I'm not convinced, and will try to find something definitive. The fact that it's simultaneous with gear retraction /extension has more to do with using the gear as a flight phase indicator for the system. But I could be wrong.

And nothing personal, AC320tech (an unfortunate choice of nickname if you ask me), but when you're 50, you're going to think a 19 year old is a kid.  Smile

320tech

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:50 am

In case anyone is still interested, gear down lock triggers a signal that turns on / off the no-smoking signs. Whether the signs actually ever turn off is an airline option, but the chime that accompanies it still sounds.

So in short, there's the answer to the original question. The gear either starts to retract or locks down. A signal is sent to the computer, which simultaneously:

turns off / on the no-smoking lights (airline option);

sounds a chime to notify the passengers;

turns off the door marker lights (a separate function). Emergency lighting system and door escape system remain armed.

KELPkid

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 24):
19 yr olds can be smart & enthusiastic.Noticed Quite a few recently.It depends on the Individual not the Age.But yes.We'd still call them kids Smile

Hey, my wife says I'm just a big kid...  Wink Hence my choice of screen names.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 27):
Hey, my wife says I'm just a big kid

Sounds like my Wife  Smile

Quoting 320tech (Reply 25):
As far as I can tell, the chime is tied to the illumination of the no-smoking sign, but I'm not convinced, and will try to find something definitive

I think L/G operated chime to No smoking sign too.
regds
MEL