Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Alessandro
Topic Author

Wireless Controlls?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:52 am

I been re-reading an old thread on another homepage that I posted a few years ago, anyone thinks it´s possible to use wireless controlls and in case of
an collision it could be safer due to no wires are there that can be broken?
ABB Wisa system uses this already in their carmanufacturing robots, see
http://www.abb.com/global/gad/gad020...t/B8210BCDF5ECD238C12570C000413460
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

scaredflyer21

RE: Wireless Controlls?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:19 am

IMO, if such a system is ever implemented it would be as a back-up to the traditional "wired" system. This is not a bad idea at all, it is just a matter of time for it to be developed at a low cost and be efficient.

Scaredflyer21

flymatt2bermud

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:28 pm

Wireless technology aboard aircraft? I'm real old fashioned and I'm just getting comfortable with the fly-by-wire concept over cables. But [email protected]* Just the thought gives me chills thinking about lightning strikes, cellular use and low power scenarios in the units themselves. And then there is the really bad dream about loosing control to some kid who super boosted the output of his remote control operator for his 'hi flyer' and inadvertently had us circling his R/C field. I'd rather keep the wires and leave the wireless to the PDA's and cell phones.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

777wt

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:24 am

wireless can be subject to interference. Ever look on every wireless remotes and controllers with a FCC label saying this device may be subject to interference and inadvert control and that it can receive interference more likey than cause interference.

The same goes for camcorders, watches, blah blah blah...

Once when I was on vacation in a hotel, I thought that if all the rooms has the same tv's and the remote from the master bedroom works on the tv in the living room, I tried it and it worked. Even if I went out to the deck and pointed it in the next guest's room tv. I was able to turn it on and off and change channels  Wink

RichPhitzwell

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:02 am

A number of reasons why wireless should never be considered a primary:
Rate of packet loss is high
Interference
Overall dependability
Power consumption
Security
FAA approval

Even if we use lasers (wireless fiber) or IR loss is high and line of site must be maintained and if used out doors will usually wash out between .5 and 1 hr everyday. IR has a tendency to be affected by fluorescent lighting.

RF has own issues especially when multiple systems are operating at the same time, imagine three or four planes all using the same standard and all are next to each other. Although the addressing would hopefully be different, interference will increase.

Unfortunately Fiber and/or copper will remain the primary for a very long time, be it on planes or offices.

[Edited 2006-10-06 00:04:29]
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Flymat, did you read the link, it´s used in weilding robots which has large magnetic fields around them, still works without anyone gets into the system.
I think the technology wont come from the consumer goods where custom to
but industrial robots like the ABB one.

flymatt2bermud

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 5):
did you read the link

This is very interesting, I read the link. I am cautious at this point. Not being an engineer is a disadvantage, I accept the theory but I don't fully understand it. But one has to think if the military can fly drones remotely from bases thousands of miles away. The ability to come up with a safe technology of wireless aircraft controls will be improved.

Still, I'm not going to be near the front of the line to encourage my company to order one or fly it when it arrives!

I guess I should add, our aircraft presently does have high speed internet, a wireless printer a cordless phone and an old fashioned pilot!! FYI, the cordless phone is not always clear but I'm not sure if that's the SATCOM or what?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

2H4

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 6):
and an old fashioned pilot!!

Is the sextant port an option in the BD700?  biggrin 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Alessandro
Topic Author

Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:04 am

Flymat, UAVs often have preprogrammed routes. Anyways, one advantage with wireless controlls is that it would foldable tail like the Stratocruiser or
Viggen much easier. Also de-icing could be included in this system?

RichPhitzwell

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 8):
Flymat, UAVs often have preprogrammed routes. Anyways, one advantage with wireless controlls is that it would foldable tail like the Stratocruiser or

I'm curious how wireless controls would help either of these. Are we talking about an entire airport as well as the ac as having wireless controls? That would be an interesting idea...

RichPhitzwell

Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 8):

I'm curious how wireless controls would help either of these. Are we talking about an entire airport as well as the ac as having wireless controls? That would be an interesting idea...

OT, but my buddy has a security system that has a remote start for his truck. Being its diesel, this really does help with warm up as he doesnt have to spend time sit in the truck waiting for anything to warm up/cool down. Although he has had this for years, it makes us smile everytime.

flymatt2bermud

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
Is the sextant port an option in the BD700?

A sextant! But of course! [email protected]#% Who needs GPS?

What the BD700 needs is a Garmin 530.

UAL747

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:11 pm

Sweet....Bluetooth capable ailerons, flaps, slats, and elevators! All controlled from the pilot's Blackberry.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Alessandro
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:24 am

Since Boeing is going bleedless on the 787 and will use electric generators instead to de-ice the tail, I think the wireless idea could be even more interesting in the tail?
Would such system save a lot of production and maintenance cost, with no wires for controlls needed?

[Edited 2006-11-07 00:26:33]

Alessandro
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 am

[Quote RichPhitzWell]
No, I´m talking about airplanes like the B787, not airports.