Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

starstream707
Topic Author

Cost Of A D-check?

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:28 pm

I know what A,B,C, and D checks are but how much does each one cost roughly? Narrow-body aircraft mainly. Wide-bodies would probably cost twice as much.

KingAirMan

RE: Cost Of A D-check?

Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:33 pm

5-7 Million for your average
D-Check

SFOMB67

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:01 pm

A few figures I have, that are about 8 years old show a 737 D-Ck taking 30,000 manhours and $200Kfor materials, a 747, 100,000 manhours, and no material estimate. A lot of airlines may incorperate projects into D-Cks which will drive costs up considerably. Another variable is, is this the 1st D-Ck or the 3rd. The older a plane is, the more there is to repair.
Not as easy as originally perceived

ShyFlyer

Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Sfomb67 (Reply 2):
The older a plane is, the more there is to repair.

This is why a lot of older aircraft are retired and turned into beer cans. The cost of the maintenance is greater than the value of the aircraft itself.
I lift things up and put them down.

saintsman

Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Any maintenance check is made up of scheduled man-hours and non scheduled man-hours (its man-hours that determine most of the cost) so its difficult to put an actual price on it.

The non scheduled man-hours is work that is found as a result of carrying out the (scheduled) inspection ie the known requirements. Such items include repairs due to corrosion or damage etc. The level of these unscheduled repairs depends on several things such as who is operation the aircraft and where the aircraft is operated. Some owners have very good maintenance practices and so you will not find much to repair. You also tend to find more corrosion in countries that are cold and wet compared to hot and dry.

MROs (maintenance centres) will typically put a cap on the unscheduled man-hours. They will carry out repairs to any faults found within their price up to say, any single fault that takes no more than 10 man-hours to fix. Over 10 man-hours will be charged extra.

Man-hours, btw, are how long the job will take to carry it out. two men will half the time etc.

starstream707
Topic Author

Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Thank you all so much for your help!

kbfispotter

Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:54 am

Quoting Saintsman (Reply 4):
Man-hours, btw, are how long the job will take to carry it out. two men will half the time etc.

Unless I am misreading you, this is not quite true. If a job takes one man 10 hours to complete, and two people end up doing it in 5 hours, it is still 10 man hours, because you had two people each working 5 hours on the task...

Kris

Edit: spelling

[Edited 2006-12-01 16:55:31]
Proud to be an A&P!!!

KPIE172

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:20 am

I don't much about the maintenance side... Apart from engines, are guys assigned to teams? Like I would be on the 747 team so I wouldn't really ever work on say an a320... or is it structured more by specialty, ie avionics, structures, systems, so that I could work on pretty much anything?
Blue side up!

Tristarsteve

Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting KPIE172 (Reply 7):
I don't much about the maintenance side... Apart from engines, are guys assigned to teams? Like I would be on the 747 team so I wouldn't really ever work on say an a320... or is it structured more by specialty, ie avionics, structures, systems, so that I could work on pretty much anything?

Really depends where you work. If you are at a large facility, then you would work in one hangar, and that hangar might only get B747 checks, so you would be stuck on B747s. In the UK we have separate avionics mechs and airframe/engine mechs. There is very little engine work on a D check. Problem is that once you have done the right wing on one check, you end up doing it on the next! Sheet metal work is usually done by mechs that do it all the time, a, because they like it, and b, because they have the tools. (I hate it!!).
If you want variety try and get to work in a smaller hangar. I once worked for GF at BAH in the hangar, and I would be on a B737 D check one week, then up the ramp on Tristar transits the next. These jobs are rare. It was the best place I ever worked (except for the heat).
Some mechs like D checks. They are steady. You know what you are going to do the rest of the week, and when you go home. I personally prefer the line hangar where you get a different aircraft every night. Its not so good when you are new as you get wheel changes and night stop checks all the time, but I was at the top of the tree and did the engine runs, and rudder actuator changes.
Now I work the line on a small station with no spares. My best tool is my pen!

Dalmd88

Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:56 am

When DL was doing HMV's inhouse and shopping around for cost savings we were told the HMV3 that were doing on the MD88 cost 1.3M. Our competitor, Avborne was going to do it cheaper. They were not able to fufill the contract so it went to AeroMexico.

freedom747

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:09 pm

Hey DALMD88....
call me an idiot but, I gotta question. When I worked for Delta, we still had Line MTC in a lot of cities. Why did DL choose to cut costs so much that they outsourced MTC to other companies, but wouldn't it be easier to keep our own MTC guys around to do our own MTC? See, thats what I hated about Delta. If they are looking for cheaper, crappier, MTC elsewhere, why not keep the Delta cream-of-the-crop guys to do OUR OWN maintenance like no other TechOps can do but pay them just a little bit less. Cause there was a time when Delta maintenance guys were THE best, ANYWHERE.

Just curious

[Edited 2006-12-03 04:11:24]

Lucky42

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting Freedom747 (Reply 11):
Cause there was a time when Delta maintenance guys were THE best, ANYWHERE.

Yeah Freedom, I feel your pain...You know NWA had one of the best maintenance programs also... In fact NW ATL had the best JT8 engine shop going.Even Delta came to NWA in ATL to see how we were doing engines there after the DAL MD80 uncontained engine failure in PNS that killed 2 people..But DAL like NWA could really care less it is all about the bottom line and good maintenance costs money..The fact there have been no crashes is not indicitive of poor maintenance...Bad habits can take time to reach the surface... So my guess is they will push the limits until something happens..

EMBQA

Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 1):
5-7 Million for your average

What...??? You need to drop a few zero's. Your looking at more like $500,000 to $700,000
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KingAirMan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 13):
What...??? You need to drop a few zero's. Your looking at more like $500,000 to $700,000

For a large airliner? I think not

Tearing out avionics, seats, carpet, galleys, and countless other items ? A D-Check consist of anywere between 150-300 Mechanics, and can take upwards of 100,000 man hours ! and 45-60 whole days. . . Why do you think airlines retire and or sell of their birds when the D-Check comes around sometimes?

EMBQA

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 14):
For a large airliner? I think not

For a large airliner I know so.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KingAirMan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:26 am

And you would know this how ??

EMBQA

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting Kingairman (Reply 16):
And you would know this how ??

Let's see......What do you think I do for a living...???

[Edited 2006-12-04 01:00:53]

KingAirMan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:47 am

KBFI spotter :

Thank you for helping prove my point a little better! welcome to RU list

Now, Imagine, a B747 or 777 in a Dcheck, It makes perfect sense to cost 5-7 Million.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 17):
Let's see......What do you think I do for a living...???

Hmm.. Im gonna guess.. Obviously not in maintenence  Wink

saintsman

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:21 pm

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 18):
I would doubt that... The MRO I work for charges over $40 per man hour... say a check requires 45 days and around 30,000 man hours... at $45/hour, that equals out to be $1.35 million.

This is where the problem lies in Europe. Our rates are similar except that ours will be £40 per hour. With the exchange rate nearly $2 to the pound, that means that it is twice as expensive to get your D check done in the UK as in the States. Most MROs are struggling with a lot of the work going to Eastern Europe, the Middle and Far East. China is starting to pull in a lot of work. When you only have to pay their 'engineers' a bowl of rice per day the man-hour rates are not very high.

Whilst competant in what they do, the Chinese workers do not have the level of training that we have to go through or have to do the range of tasks. Although I know which system I prefer, at the end of the day its the Chinese philosophy that will result in the collapse of the engineering way of life over here and they will be sitting pretty with all the work.

zenarcade

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:13 pm

I myself did a little digging around the internet and came up with this interesting article. While its slightly dated it should still contain some useful information to you.

Quoted from the article regarding a 742.

"A D check takes between 15,000 and 35,000 hrs. of labor, and can put aplane out of service for 15 to 30 days, or more. The total cost averages between $1 million and $2 million." "A typical D check is 70% labor and 30% material,""

Article Link

I hope the link works, I'm not very good with code.

Cheers,

Adam

[Edited 2006-12-04 10:15:32]
If a plane falls on the tarmac and no one is there, does it make any sound? - Starlionblue

KingAirMan

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 pm

that sounds almost like a C check to me . .

kbfispotter

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting KingAirMan (Reply 19):
KBFI spotter :

Thank you for helping prove my point a little better! welcome to RU list

My pleasure! Welcome to mine!

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Max78

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:15 am

I have found some numbers on this topic. Below is the average time per checks on a narrowbody.

A Check 15 Manhours
B Check 250 Manhours
C Check 20000 Manhours
D Check 50000 Manhours

It is an "average" since there are different type of A checks, different type of B checks, ... and usually other items are added to work pack so that it increases significantly the amount of work...

I am trying to find out a couple of things and probably some of you could help me.. :

1) Do you know in average amount of additionnal "non-scheduled" maintenance that happens during an A check, during a B Check, a C check and a D Check ? ... Is is possible to quantify that ?

2) Do you know the cost of materials and consumables per checks (ex: 500$ is the average cost of material and consummables on A330-200/-300 A check;
I have read "A typical D check is 70% labor and 30% material", ) do you know for the B and C Check ?

Valcory

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 12):
it is all about the bottom line and good maintenance costs money..

I have seen Airplanes that just came from MRO had to be put out of service for like a week while we fix it.How can an airplane comes from heavy check with a few MEL.

Tod

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting Zenarcade (Reply 21):
Quoted from the article regarding a 742.

"A D check takes between 15,000 and 35,000 hrs. of labor, and can put aplane out of service for 15 to 30 days,

Definately not enough time for a D.

Also, if you were to do a D check on a 742 nowadays you better plan on at least an extra month of sitting around waiting for replacement parts.

Tod

TheJoe

Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:45 am

We do a "D" check in about 22 days at the moment. That's for the 737-300/400 and if everything works to plan!  pray 

Quoting Valcory (Reply 25):
have seen Airplanes that just came from MRO had to be put out of service for like a week while we fix it.How can an airplane comes from heavy check with a few MEL.

Yes, this is an unfortunate industry trend at the moment. Companies do not want to pay the money to have their aircraft maintained to the correct level of quality and precision. With all the low cost carriers out there, companies are trying to keep their prices as low as possible to compete. The general public are happy about that. Yeah, great, only a couple of dollars/pound/euro/whatever for the flight. Yay! What they don't understand is that aeroplanes cos a lot of money to keep flying. Last time I checked, IIRC, the cost of a set of fan blades for a CFM56-7 was about $750,000 (Australian). I've seen panels changed on the reversers worth $60,000 (Aus). Hydraulic pump? $21,000 (Aus). Not exactly pocket change. People complain about having to pay too much to fly, then complain more when the service isn't what it used to be. They don't even think about how much it costs to keep an airliner flying. Then we have the pilots, cabin crew, fuel, airport usage fees, taxes, baggage handlers, check-in staff, terminal rent, cabin cleaners, catering, etc... It all adds up. So to offset this, they outsource services! Like maintenance. We can do it offshore for half the price. Why not! The answer is simple. Quality...