Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbus3801
Topic Author

Usage Of USB Ports On A/C

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:30 am

What is the purpose of placing USB ports in seats? The Singapore Airlines new seats article in a recent Airliner World mentioned the USB ports in every seat, but what do people use them for?

dmanmtl

RE: Usage Of USB Ports On A/C

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:10 am

There are also USB ports (or what look like them) next to the video screens on Air Canada's new Embraers...I wonder what they are for?

D

WestWing

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:13 am

The IFE equipment has a PC with MS Windows+Office - one per seat. So one can plug in one's own keyboard/mouse. I assume one can also use a USB memory stick to retrieve one's work.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

jamesbuk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:21 am

USB also charges the laptops doesnt it?

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

lincoln

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 3):
USB also charges the laptops doesnt it?

No. USB is very much a master/slave arrangement with the PC as the master and all of the other devices "downstream". Power can flow from the PC (or a powered hub) to a device (like a keyboard, mouse, etc.) but not the other way around.

Plus, the voltage and current limitations of USB (5 VDC and 500ma at the maximum) would not be practical for using a laptop computer, let alone charging the battery.

I had heard somewhere that the USB ports were intended for game controllers as part of the IFE system... you plug in your (airline-provided, presumably) handheld controller in and proceed to play whatever games are available.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jamesbuk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):

Hmmm interesting. My dads got a laptop and a desktop + an external drive with 1 usb coming out of the drive + another usb coming out of that cable so all 3 are connected. We connected 1 USB to the desktop and 1 usb to the laptop, the screen brightened up (a clue its charging) and then a pop up saying "Your laptop is now plugged in to a power outlet"

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 5):
Hmmm interesting. My dads got a laptop and a desktop + an external drive with 1 usb coming out of the drive + another usb coming out of that cable so all 3 are connected. We connected 1 USB to the desktop and 1 usb to the laptop, the screen brightened up (a clue its charging) and then a pop up saying "Your laptop is now plugged in to a power outlet"

Wow. Dare I ask what brand that was?

Is your setup thus? Laptop - USB - External drive - USB - Desktop?

All very weird.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

jamesbuk

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 6):

Well it was the other way round so the power was coming through the desktop, powering the desktop and powering the external drive and laptop. Im not sure of the brands. There not big name'd brands. I would go and look but im not really suppost to go in there unless my dads in there. The desktop is made by Worldstar or something along them lines, the turn on button is imprinted with an earth and the laptop is all black and on the top has a big raised bit with a see through plastic bit backed by black. If that rings any bells.

Rgds --James--

KELPkid

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:04 am

A USB port will charge an iPod nano  Big grin  Cool
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

KELPkid

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:25 am

I hope that if you put the right file on your USB jump drive, it doesn't start to re-flash the firmware in the flight control system or update the FMS database  devil   eek 

Stealthz

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 9):
I hope that if you put the right file on your USB jump drive, it doesn't start to re-flash the firmware in the flight control system or update the FMS database

Have posted this pic before but KELPkid'd post is just screaming out for a repost!!!

Big version: Width: 709 Height: 712 File size: 82kb

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

zvezda

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting WestWing (Reply 2):
The IFE equipment has a PC with MS Windows+Office - one per seat.

Not quite. It's StarOffice, probably on Linux. Definitely not MS Office, thankfully. MS would be too much of a virus liability. I can imagine Americans suing SQ for infecting their files.

WestWing

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 11):
Not quite. It's StarOffice, probably on Linux.

D-Oh! I should remember next time to engage brain before moving fingers. Thanks for the correction
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

Starlionblue

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:46 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 11):
Not quite. It's StarOffice, probably on Linux. Definitely not MS Office, thankfully. MS would be too much of a virus liability. I can imagine Americans suing SQ for infecting their files.

Well you could just reflash the devices prior to each flight. Or use a product like VMWare ACE to ensure the machines are non-corruptible. But if nothing else StarOffice is much cheaper to deploy in such a setting.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

lehpron

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 4):
you plug in your (airline-provided, presumably) handheld controller in and proceed to play whatever games are available.

It would be pretty cool is a portion of the flight was all on the same multiplaying game map. Or, so not to disturb others, they would all be put in their own corner of the plane; a game cabin. Big grin
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

zvezda

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 14):
It would be pretty cool is a portion of the flight was all on the same multiplaying game map. Or, so not to disturb others, they would all be put in their own corner of the plane; a game cabin.

The previous generation of SQ IFE, Wisemen 3000, keeps track of high scores across the aircraft, so that's at least a small step in the direction of multiplayer gaming.

KELPkid

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:18 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 10):
but KELPkid'd post is just screaming out for a repost!!!

rotfl  Thanks, I haven't had a laugh that good in a long time  Wink

David L

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 10):

Nice one! I hope it's not accompanied by a "Device conflict" warning in the cockpit.  biggrin 

lincoln

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting David L (Reply 17):
Nice one! I hope it's not accompanied by a "Device conflict" warning in the cockpit.

Or this:

Big version: Width: 473 Height: 140 File size: 11kb

:D

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AvionicMech

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:21 pm

The idea of these USB ports is as mentioned above, you can plug your USB flash drive in and work on a Word/Excel etc. document then when you are done you can save it back on to your USB drive. There is more than one port so that you can plug in a USB mouse and Keyboard as well to make it easier rather than using the handset.

On SQ there are several multiplayer games on the new 777-300ERs with the enhanced cabin. You can even play things like Poker against other people onboard, there are something like 15 multiplayer games on the new system if I remember correctly.