Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

highflyer9790
Topic Author

Throttles In Commercial Airliners

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:40 am

Hello again!

I am wondering how easy the throttles are to manipulate for tiny adjustments like on finals in a commercial aircraft, like anything from a 737 to 744. Is there a tension adjustment like in a cessna? are the throttles as easy to move like a push/pull type?

thanks!

highflyer

Ryanair737

RE: Throttles In Commercial Airliners

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 am

A few years back I got into the cockpit of a Ryanair 737-800 on the ground and the Captain said you can have a play around. So I was moving the control column, rudder pedals etc. when it came to the throttles they were extremely stiff to operate, I was very surprised. Compared to the PA38 which I fly I find the throttle too easy to move and therefore the throttle friction knob is useful to stiffen it up a bit. I'm not sure if they have these in commercial airliners, but like I said from my experience in the 738 the throttles were very stiff.

Of course on airbuses that’s a different story, those guys have it easy!

Ryanair737
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

IFixPlanes

Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Ryanair737 (Reply 1):
Of course on airbuses that’s a different story, those guys have it easy!

Sorry, but the 737 New Generation signal transmission from throttle lever to the the engine is nearly the same as Airbus use.
never tell an engineer he is wrong ;-)

doug_or

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:19 am

All the commercial aircraft I've ever been on had a friction adjusment for the throttles (I assume thats what you meant by tension).
When in doubt, one B pump off

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:32 am

The L-1011 throttles have maximum pull or push limits of 1.5 lbs. each or 4.5 lbs. for all three, and there is no adjustment. The throttle cables systems are equipped with tension regulators that keep a constant tension of the cable throughout the flight profile.

SlamClick

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:58 am

The Airbus, as alluded to above, has thrust levers that actually function more as electrical switches. The autothrust system has full authority from just above idle up to the position set on the thrust lever. egCLB (climb power or TOGA (takeoff or go-around thrust) You actually can set them in a no-detent position below CLB but the system will only have authority up the the position shown by the TLA (thrust-lever angle) indicators on the upper screen.

Like most jets, they move pretty easily but firmly and stay where you leave them unlike Twin Beeches and DC-3s.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

fr8mech

Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 3):
All the commercial aircraft

Ahhh, the general, all inclusive. The last aircraft I was on with a friction lock, adjustable by the crew, was a B727.

Aircraft I know don't have a friction lock: L1011, DC8, B747, B757, B767, A300, MD11.

The amount of force neccessary to move the throttle varies from aircraft type to aircraft type. No AMM's available right now, but I believe the DC8 is 8lbs max.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

doug_or

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Doug_Or (Reply 3):
All the commercial aircraft I've ever been

come on now, I had an additional qulaifier (though I should have added that they didn't amount to much)
When in doubt, one B pump off

MD11Fanatic

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:56 am

I got to fool around in a KC-10 about a month ago and in the process we did just about everything short of pulling the starter switches on the engines. I played a lot with the AT and the N1 button as well as manually manipulating the throttle levers and I found them to be a lot stiffer than I had initially thought.

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:35 pm

The friction is provided by the Drum brake assy on the B737.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ThePinnacleKid

Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:43 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Craig Mills

You can see the thrust levers on the ERJ have a friction adjust knob. It is the black knob in between the thrust levers at the idle position... directly ahead of the FADEC Thrust Rating buttons...

I find it to be really easy to just ever so slightly adjust the thrust levers.. only big difference with a jet thrust levers vs. a prop's throttles is you have to remember to WAIT for the change... it is not an instantaneous power change... if you don't wait to see what you get.. you'll just be going back and forth with the thrust levers all day long till you're blue in the face. Once you get used to this though... man, you can make an adjustment to gain or lose a a knot or two easy... makes flying a general speed old school.. you fly the exact number.. if tgt is 137 on final.. i'll fly 137.. give or take 1 or 2 knots...

Chris

[Edited 2007-01-14 21:45:27]

[Edited 2007-01-14 21:50:18]
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

CosmicCruiser

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:31 pm

The DC-10s could be easy or stiff from plane to plane depending on age and cleanliness. The Md-11s are quite sensitive and in taxi the slightest movement is all that's needed.

wing

Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:07 pm

As far as the tiny adjustments goes you can make N1 Adjustments in 1 N1 increments eg:55 to 56 N1 both in normal and single engine flying.The friction of the throttles are not the same on all airplanes,sometimes the levers feels hard like it needs to be oiled up while others feels fine.

On 320 the tiny adjustments are made by the Auto thrust system according to the airplanes energy status.In the event of loss of AP and AT (eg:a dual FMGS failure),you can fly the airplane and its thrust levers maually just like any other airplane.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"