Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

newagebird
Topic Author

JAR Vs FAA

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:09 pm

Hey all
Just wondering if anyone knows if the FAA theory syllabus and the JAR syllabus differ to each other. Are there some major differences in the way european authorities and US authorities run? examples of these differences would be greatly appreciated if anyone knows.
Ive been trying to get an answer to this from other forums (websites) so don't let me down  Smile

Cheers thanks
newagebird

zeke

RE: JAR Vs FAA

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting Newagebird (Thread starter):

Just wondering if anyone knows if the FAA theory syllabus and the JAR syllabus differ to each other.

Big/huge difference, JAR and the old UK CAA would have to be the most detailed about, it takes several months (normally a full time 6 month ground course) to learn the required material for the exams. They are on a similar level in terms of exam content and depth of knowledge as your Australian ATPLs, just 2-3 times as many exams.

The FAA exams could be learnt in a day or two, with an almost guaranteed pass.

When people come to our airline from the USA, the local CAA makes them do a heap of extra exams as they believe the FAA syllabus and exams are deficient in large aircraft systems, whilst JAR licensed people only need to do the local air law.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

newagebird
Topic Author

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:45 pm

Hey zeke
thanks very much, CASA does have 7 exams and JAR has 14. Concerning aircraft systems, we focus on the B767-300 systems. Any idea what JAR exams focus on? I know this is a vague question but is it airbus or boeing aircraft?

Cheers
newagebird

jwenting

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

That's the PPL exam that's 14 sessions and half a year of courses and study (with many poeople taking longer than that)... There's no type specific stuff in it, that's for type rating exams that you may do afterwards.
I wish I were flying

zeke

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting Newagebird (Reply 2):
thanks very much, CASA does have 7 exams and JAR has 14. Concerning aircraft systems, we focus on the B767-300 systems. Any idea what JAR exams focus on? I know this is a vague question but is it airbus or boeing aircraft?

A bit of everything, some of the stuff is no longer used in new aircraft, but you will find it on some of the older freighters, I did not do the JAR, I did the UK CAA (pre JAR).
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Dufo

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:32 pm

JAA ATPL exams are based on single-engine-piston (forgot which one), multi-engine-piston (piper seneca) and medium-range-jet (737-400) plus some A320 stuff for Instrumentation.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

BAE146QT

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting Zeke:
Big/huge difference,

This is something I have wondered about for some time - disparity between certification regimes from country to country.

If someone passes their driving test in the US, they may drive in the UK as a visitor for a limited period of time, (I believe it's 6 months, but that may have changed). After that time, they are obliged to take a UK test.

It's not a perfect system. For example, we had a rash of immigration from Zimbabwe a few years ago, and many people were driving around for 6 months on Zimbabwean licenses which they had never sat a test for, (they bought them).

So how does that work with aviation licenses? Presumably if a carrier is allowed to enter your airspace, they must have made assurances that their pilots are suitably licensed to a standard approved by the FAA (or whatever). But what's to stop me buying an island, calling it the sovereign territory of BAe146istan, and operating an air service from there to mainland US on a license that I granted myself?
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

SansVGs

Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:19 am

For license certification the JAA has more difficult knowledge testing. And I have heard of some obscure questions such as "how high the grass must be kept next to a runway." But this might be an exaggeration. The FAA testing for license certification is less intense and more focus is put on flying and aircraft handling.

My experience with type ratings seemed to be the opposite though. In a mixed (FAA /JAA) class the JAA students took a slightly longer written test, but had no oral. In my opinion the oral is much more dreaded than a written test. However, the JAA students had more required events to perform in the simulator and had to do a "steep" London City approach to get their cert. This is only one piece of empirical data though.

I think eventually with cross-Atlantic cooperation the two programs will look more alike.
Winglets on a Falcon are "over-painting" a great work of art.

newagebird
Topic Author

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Yeh,
thanks for the help guys, im locked in a debate with some dude on Pprune claiming that FAA is a lot harder than JAR theory wise, contrary to what ive heard.
anyways cheers

SansVGs

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 pm

I agree with the PPRUNE people to a point...but they are less of a "global village" than we are on A.net.
Winglets on a Falcon are "over-painting" a great work of art.

airtran737

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Saab2000 would be a good one to ask about this. He moved to the Stats from Switzerland and could detail the differences between the two for us all.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever