Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A390
Topic Author

Unusual Ramp Hazards?

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:00 pm

Good day all,

Does anyone have photos or stories of unusual hazards on airport ramp areas.
Here is an example to get things going, sure it's an airstrip, but it's a start

Big version: Width: 500 Height: 357 File size: 36kb

IC408

RE: Unusual Ramp Hazards?

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:04 pm

Here's one - some of the people who people who work for Delta Global Services  Wink

No need to flame its based on personal experiences - and note that I said some not all.
Opinions expressed within my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of United Airlines, Inc.

srbmod

Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:25 pm

There are the gates where bringing in and pushing out an a/c can be a bit tricky because of the way the gate area was laid out.

I remember C-1A @ ATL being one of those gates because you had to use two marshalers because about halfway in, the a/c had to make a slight right hand turn in order to be aligned with the jetway. The first marshaler would bring them straight in then about a third of the way in, have the a/c start a right hand turn and would then pass the a/c off to the second marshaler who would lead them in the rest of the way. Pushing back from that gate was a challenge as well with that turn you'd have to make. There was a similar parking spot on the gate I worked at when I was @ EV, but it really only needed one marshaler.

There was one time when I was working for EV about 7 years back when we had to push an a/c out onto the spine road because the a/c originally planned to operate the flight came in broken and was parked in a space that made the usual pushback from the other parking spot not possible. I was so nervous doing that pushback because it was late at night (the particular spot we were pushing back from wasn't well illuminated), I had winglets a matter of feet away from each other during the pushback (I was so afraid I was going to clip wingtips), and the fact I had to push the a/c onto a busy roadway (the spine road is the main street so to speak @ ATL. Even at 11:30 at night it's a bit busy) had me worried that someone wouldn't see the wingwalker and plow right into the wing of the a/c (thankfully it was a CRJ and not a Brasilia I was pushing back).

SkyexRamper

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 am

MKE sheriff deputies that walk around at night in the dark spots of the ramp while just wearing their dark brown uniforms! Dang near hit the same chick twice the other week.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

Viscount724

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:04 am

Relevant to the photo in the original posting, there was a photo in Airliners magazine a couple of years ago of a polar bear strolling along the airport ramp at Barrow, Alaska (BRW), the most northerly community in the USA. They're also a hazard at several airports in northern Canada.

G4LASRamper

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:43 am

Critters...

Brown Recluse spiders are the bane here. Never saw one myself while on the ramp, but our mechanics spot quite a few of them. The bite, if not treated promptly, turns into a really nasty wound. Do a Google search for pictures. Yuck!

Bees. A couple of weeks ago we had a swarm at one of our gates. They swarmed underneath the back end of a belt loader. The pest controller arrived and used a soapy water spray to deal with them. We got our gate back after about 40 minutes. And a cleaner belt loader.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig." - Porco Rosso

MattRB

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 3):
MKE sheriff deputies that walk around at night in the dark spots of the ramp while just wearing their dark brown uniforms! Dang near hit the same chick twice the other week.

No PPE on them? That's insane.

From YYZ, the snow removal crew! Bunch of crazy drivers, those ones.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

m404

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:27 am

Forgive me for retelling this story but a favorite I saw myself - -

1965 William J Fox field (WJF) Lancaster California.

It's a one man operation and we we in a Pacific Airlines F-27 from LAS. The Capt. said we would have to go around but to look out one side at the runway as he did the flyby and we'd see the reason why. On the low pass here comes the agent down the centerline on a battery powered Marketeer cart madly waving a big broom at two coyotes smack in the middle of the "rights of Spring" as the capt put it. They were quite determined and it took awhile to get them herded into the sagebrush.

I love the old days.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

AviationAddict

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:54 am

The GA ramp next to North Cargo and Terminal E at BOS can be a real tricky place to operate because of all the biz jets buzzing around. There are no marshals bringing the planes in and out, just Signature Flight Service guys in follow me vehicles, which happen to be the same vehicles they use for all their other activities. Last week I nearly plowed into the side of a Hawker 800 that was pulling out of one of the rows of jets because I was so busy cursing out the SFS clown that had just cut me off, I didn't realize he was marshaling out a plane! Wow! So I guess the moral of the story is, if you're ever at BOS and you see a Signature Flight Service van cruising around, make sure there isn't a multi-million dollar biz jet following it!!!

[Edited 2007-04-07 22:55:09]

SkyexRamper

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 6):
No PPE on them? That's insane.

Nope, it's hard to see those guys some times and more than once have I wondered who was standing there because I couldn't make out their uniforms. It would be very nice to see them wearing those nice reflective vests that they wear when directing traffic. Guess my supervisors don't actually tell anyone higher after I complain to them about the problem.

GARUDAROD

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:10 am

When GARUDA used to serve BIK, enroute to/from HNL/LAX, the DC10 and later B747Combi used to
routinely have to buzz the runway before arrival to make sure the locals were clear of the area.
There are many Sentani Irians that live in the area surrounding the runway.
On the day of the first ever arrival of the B747, it is rumoured that 20,000 people lined the runway sides
to see the amazing wonder land!
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

N353SK

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:48 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 9):
Nope, it's hard to see those guys some times and more than once have I wondered who was standing there because I couldn't make out their uniforms. It would be very nice to see them wearing those nice reflective vests that they wear when directing traffic. Guess my supervisors don't actually tell anyone higher after I complain to them about the problem.

Why not go into the sheriff's office and suggest they wear protective vests the next time you're waiting for the employee parking shuttle?

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:20 am

Its cruel but i say hit one of them the you will see vests appear on all of the the very next day. (Not too hard though)
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

airtran737

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting A390 (Thread starter):

The Midwest/Skyway ramp in MKE. Those guys will kill you if you're not looking for them. The are masters at flipping carts, putting holes in airplanes, and belt loaders through walls. Watching them is like watching a monkey screw a football, it just doesn't make sense. There are a few good ones there such as SkyExRamper.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

L-188

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
there was a photo in Airliners magazine a couple of years ago of a polar bear strolling along the airport ramp at Barrow, Alaska (BRW),

I had to worry about Brown Bears at CDB

I did a posting here a couple of years ago about a Porcupine that wandered onto our ramp at ANC.

And we did have a black bear cub about six months later.

There are several Coyotes inside the fence at Anchorage. Plus I have seen several Moose also.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

G4LASRamper

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Oh yeah, more critters. Not a ramp story per se but...

GCN at night. It's a good idea when departing at night to taxi down the length of the runway and back before takeoff. Deer like to jump the airport fence and congregate on and around the runway and taxiway. Guess they like the grass.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig." - Porco Rosso

AsstChiefMark

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 9):
Guess my supervisors don't actually tell anyone higher after I complain to them about the problem.

There's nothing stopping you from writing a personal letter of concern to the sheriff's department.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

United767

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting IC408 (Reply 1):
Here's one - some of the people who people who work for Delta Global Services

LMAO, you must work at Dulles huh? I completely agree.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

SkyexRamper

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 13):
There are a few good ones there such as SkyExRamper.

Thanks buddy! Though time after time you're right about 90% of the people that work there.

Quoting N353SK (Reply 11):
Why not go into the sheriff's office and suggest they wear protective vests the next time you're waiting for the employee parking shuttle?

I just might have to if I don't accidentally run one over first....Don't care for the shuttle really, I hate standing around waiting for the bus when I can have my car running by the time I see it in the lot.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 12):
Its cruel but i say hit one of them the you will see vests appear on all of the the very next day. (Not too hard though)

I mean, what the heck, they stand in front under a lit intersection wearing reflective vests but don't on a dark ramp.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):
There's nothing stopping you from writing a personal letter of concern to the sheriff's department

I have yet to have success with any matters regarding MKE and things that happen on it's property. Long stories.

bohica

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting A390 (Thread starter):

The UA employee bus drivers at ORD. They drive those busses like they own the road (ramp). In fact, one of them broadsided a fully loaded CRJ while it was taxiing.

JAGflyer

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:26 am

-Fuel trucks
-FOD
-Rampies
-Chocks
-C150s
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

BreninTW

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:30 am

I believe the airfield at Skukuza (in the Kruger National Park in South Africa) has a problem with the occassional crocodile and other creatures taking a leisurely stroll along the runway.

At Caticlan (in the Philippines) an air-raid siren is sounded before each arrival or departure to clear the runway of livestock ... it can be quite scary if you don't know what's happening.

cancidas

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting G4LASRamper (Reply 5):
Brown Recluse spiders are the bane here. Never saw one myself while on the ramp, but our mechanics spot quite a few of them. The bite, if not treated promptly, turns into a really nasty wound. Do a Google search for pictures. Yuck!

those were a problem in AZ too. never saw one but my roomates got bit while flying to LAX one day. he diverted to get medical attention and as soon as he rolled out he passed out from the pain.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

57AZ

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:50 pm

On some of the more remote airstrips here in AZ, you also have bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions and rattlesnakes to potentially worry you. Haven't seen any mountain lions around but I have seen bobcats and coyotes on the ramps and taxiways around 57AZ as well as a few rattlesnakes that folks ran down.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

A390
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:50 pm

I have heard a lot of story's about different mammal's, birds, reptiles, insects etc that present a hazard on the ramp but does anyone have photos of these? Similar to the thread starter.

airportugal310

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting Bohica (Reply 19):
The UA employee bus drivers at ORD. They drive those busses like they own the road (ramp). In fact, one of them broadsided a fully loaded CRJ while it was taxiing.

Add to that the Air France bus drivers @ CDG. Forget about it...  boggled 
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

TheCol

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:18 am

I've had the same issue with Canada Customs Agents, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Some of them tend to walk up to the plane when the engines are still running, amongst other things.

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 20):
-Chocks

Don't forget broken cones and marshaling wands, which roll around like tumbleweeds.  spin 
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:07 am

Quoting AZ" class=quote target=_blank>57AZ (Reply 23):
On some of the more remote airstrips here in AZ, you also have bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions and rattlesnakes to potentially worry you.

Hit a Jackrabbit once with the landing gear on a Grob 109 on takeoff at Avra Valley once. That was one heck of a mess... and a few moments of pucker.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

60Mech

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:59 am

Get a call in Great Inagua, Bahamas that the C-130 log flight is 10 minutes out and you have to do a donkey run. Hop in the old Chevy pick up and chase any donkeys off the run way while trying to make it back to the ramp area before the herc touches down so you don''t get run over. Had a few close calls with that, C-130's and GA planes. GI is still one of my favorite deployment sites.

amtrosie

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 10):
the DC10 and later B747Combi used to
routinely have to buzz the runway before arrival to make sure the locals were clear of the area.
There are many Sentani Irians that live in the area surrounding the runway.
On the day of the first ever arrival of the B747, it is rumoured that 20,000 people lined the runway sides
to see the amazing wonder land!

Ah yes the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

I recall a certain incident back around 1976 when a Piper Navajo flew into a small strip in the Interior of West Papua (Irian Jaya back then) and due to already committing to landing, had to land on a strip that was full of stakes partially buried into the surface of the runway. Needless to say it TORE UP the leading edges and nose of the aircraft. Usual hazards in this area were pigs burrowing in the grass strips, and other such things.

When ever a airplane landed, it was a big event that brought out the entire village.

litz

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 21):

At Caticlan (in the Philippines) an air-raid siren is sounded before each arrival or departure to clear the runway of livestock ... it can be quite scary if you don't know what's happening.

it worked? I'm shocked ... I've personally chased dogs, deer, and other assorted critters in a train, and despite 2 million pounds of rolling metal, an 1800hp diesel engine, and that ungodly loud horn ... they don't move.

If we ran freight, we'd probably just add to the Darwin list ... but since we're a scenic passenger line, that wouldn't be very good public relations ....

- litz

KELPkid

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:44 am

Well, when I was a lineboy at LRU, the ramp hazards consisted of rattlesnakes, tarantulas and scorpions  Wink

After a summer thunderstorm, the tarantulas would be out en masse...I hear, though, that the scariness of Chihuahuan Desert tarantulas is only in looks.

I'd run over more rattlers than I could count with the fuel truck, and I encountered one while I was putting the Cessna 150 back in it's tiedown one day...we both agreed to go on our own merry way, to everyone's satisfaction  eek 

Scorpions really weren't much to worry about, I just saw 1 or 2 scampering about on the ramp on occassion.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

57AZ

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 27):
Hit a Jackrabbit once with the landing gear on a Grob 109 on takeoff at Avra Valley once. That was one heck of a mess... and a few moments of pucker.

We have plenty of Jackrabbits up at 57AZ. I haven't hit on yet (in a car or airplane) but have come pretty close, mostly at night driving on the Taxiway. For some reason they like that part of the airfield more than the emergency runway on the east side. They're pretty good sized here so I can imagine that hitting one would cause a good enough noise to make one wonder "What was that bang I just heard?"
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

BreninTW

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 30):
it worked?

It seems to -- I don't recall ever running into a critter when landing at Caticlan (in all my wonderful experience of two landings  Smile ) Although I will say that if the wind's right, you can hear that siren all the way on Boracay island.

cancidas

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:38 pm

somewhere, someone has a pic of the MLG of one of our airplanes down in SJU. has a damn rattler between the tires...

57AZ

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 34):
someone has a pic of the MLG of one of our airplanes down in SJU. has a damn rattler between the tires...

That doesn't sound like any fun. Even dead rattlers can be dangerous-their muscle reflexes can still trigger a bite and venom injection. Definately not worth messing with if one can avoid it. Never known of anyone being injured or bitten by a critter at any of our area airports. Worst situation I can remember was back a couple of years ago when a golfer at a local resort was bitten by a rabid bobcat. His partner beat the animal to death with a golf club and he got the shots.

amtrosie

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 am

Had a ATR-42 hit a deer on landing to PNE. Boy, did it tear up the wheel well area! The VP of maintenance insisted on recovering the antlers from the inconsiderate offender, something about "the insurance company never beleiving this....."

A390
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Here is another one !

Big version: Width: 904 Height: 768 File size: 94kb

n710ps

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:17 am

Wow poor giraffe. Gators occasionally wander onto Alpha at SRQ and foxes as well. Taxing inot SRQ at the FBO there was a fox out there just chilling out and would not move. It was at the mouth of the ramp so no other option but to turn the landing lights on and keep flasing them. That did not work so I rolled as close as I dared to it and it scampered off into the grass someplace. At CLT is is the drivers on the ramp. At PHL it is those idiot bus driver running from F to the rest of the world. At LGA it is the rampers. They do not show up on time ever. At Tampa the worst thing I have ever hit was some sort of big pile of turd at night. Ran it over with the nose gear coming into the ramp. I was taxing at night once at SGU in a Cesna 172 and jammed the brakes because some bonehead in a skywest golf cart scurried across thwe taxiway. I was looking at him like WTF shakeing my hands. Thats my little bit.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:41 am

Wow. After all these incidents, it makes the animals at PRC sound like geniuses.

There's LOTS of coyotes at the airport here, and they come out at night usually. They are always on the taxiways, haven't seen them on a runway yet. But every time they are sitting on the centerline of something, they just stand up, move next to edge stripe, and let us taxi by, and then go back to do whatever they were doing in the centerline. Go figure...

Never heard of a coyote strike here, but we do get at least 3 bird strikes a year, which is amazingly low considering how on EVERY flight I have a close encounter with a bird.

I guess the strangest hazard out here would be tumbleweeds. In the beginning of spring every year (this one specially) it gets VERY windy, we had a couple of weeks with more than one day when it was gusting over 40kts. Anyways on a not so windy day, (for PRC standards that is, it was still G20K  ) I was readying for my 8KCAB flight. Next thing I see after a decent gust is 30 or 40 tumbleweeds racing down are ramp, some racing down rwy 12, all of them across 21L (the active one that day), and pile up in a ditch. One of our Cessnas even had to stop when it was taxying into our ramp, but still, 3 unfortunate tumbleweeds became victims of a 72" McCauley prop. And yes the prop was fine. 

[Edited 2007-06-15 22:42:31]

CRJ200Mechanic

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:10 am

I've hit a skunk and a dog doing high speed taxi runs at night at TUL. I radioed the tower to let them know there was some road kill on the runway and they told security to go get it and fry it up, on the radio. Never laughed so hard in my life, until the smell made it the flight deck!
Always remember the responsibilies you hold with an A&P license

Alias1024

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 pm

I had a student hit a turtle with a C-172 in Florida. The good news was that the turtle was on centerline, therefore my student was as well.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

cancidas

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 39):
...it makes the animals at PRC sound like geniuses.

There's LOTS of coyotes at the airport here...

i remember that from when i went to school there, they sure do make a mess. my roomate hit one witht he prop as it tried to run accross C taxiway when he was on his way out to 21R.

Quoting CRJ200Mechanic (Reply 40):
I've hit a skunk and a dog doing high speed taxi runs at night at TUL. I radioed the tower to let them know there was some road kill on the runway and they told security to go get it and fry it up, on the radio. Never laughed so hard in my life, until the smell made it the flight deck!

tower: "eastern 702, contact departure on 124.7."

eastern 702: "tower, eastern 702 switching to departure. by the way, after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."

tower: "continental 635, cleared for takeoff. did you copy that report from eastern?"

continental 635: "continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; we copied eastern and we've already notified our caterers."

tazzrassinIDA

Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Here in IDA a couple years ago I had a couple of porcupines hanging out in our airplane's parking spot as our flight was on final. We have bats that like to swoop at us too.
Tazz

A390
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:07 pm

Does anyone have pictures ??

Tom12

Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:54 pm

At PIK, on the Light Aviation Ramp we have a little urban fox, runs around quite the thing.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:36 am

Dogs on the Tarmac  Sad
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

smcmac32msn

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 16):
There's nothing stopping you from writing a personal letter of concern to the sheriff's department.

Contacting any police department in Milwaukee is like telling Hitler he was wrong. You'll be run out faster than anything any of us have ever seen.
LONG STORY.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

pilotfox

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:40 am

Skunks
Hawks
Bats
Bag Tags
Snapping Turtles
Armed F-16s
Plow's

HAWK21M

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:15 pm

Quoting Pilotfox (Reply 48):
Snapping Turtles

Whats that.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)