Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Starlionblue

RE: Upside Down Aerodynamics

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting FredT (Reply 49):
It is in fact easier balancing an egg on a nail if the gravitational acceleration is smaller. The egg will accelerate less rapidly once it starts tipping, giving you more time to react and stop it from falling off the nail.

Completely theoretical of course, when going from 9.81 m/s^2 to 9.83 m/s^2, but if you were to try it on the Moon you'd find it a lot easier.

I meant "in practice" but yes you are right again.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

PPVRA

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 5):
This is why aircraft need to be modified to fly in the southern hemisphere. See, they're made right-way up in the northern hemisphere, but when they go down under, their engines would stop if they didn't have special fuel and lubrication systems.

Of course, it's the other way around for Embraers.

Whaaaat?? You're kidding, right?

Gravity is always down, why would either hemisphere make any difference?
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

MrFord

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 51):

This is just beautiful...
Make a trap so big, people won't notice it at all lol

What ? Don't tell me you've never heard about bottom-feeded carbureted engines ??
"For radar identification throw your jumpseat rider out the window."

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting PPVRA (Reply 51):

Below the equator, you have to wear g-trousers around your neck to keep your blood from pooling in the brain.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

David L

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 48):
However this doesn't change the fact that balancing an egg on a nail isn't any easier at the equator. CoG is CoG wherever you are.

It ranks up there with the Water Down the Drain myth - it works for oceans and weather systems but not for the average sink or toilet.  Smile

FredT

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 50):
I meant "in practice" but yes you are right again.

And yet again I win the weekly nit picker trophy! This time by finding a single missing word!  Wink
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

PPVRA

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 53):
Below the equator, you have to wear g-trousers around your neck to keep your blood from pooling in the brain.

So you guys make them trousers, to keep the blue balls away?  Wink

AirSpare

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Keta (Reply 46):
good waiter too

That is hilalrious, leave it to an Italian guy to make that connection! Ya! Here's to my Grandparents Cesare and Filomena  bigthumbsup 

Starionblue, thanks for linking the Hoover vid, it looks like it was shot at Staid with course pylons in the background, I really miss it, every September, it was the highlight of the year. I was able to take photos of Tiger as he climbed down from Strega after winning the Gold on day 4, I guess it's not like that anymore. A good vid for the thread title also.
Get someone else for your hero worship fetish

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:04 am

Another thing I love about the Bob Hoover is his southern accent and calm, slow diction. Such classic pilot stuff. Chuck Yeager is exactly like that. The more stressful the situation gets, the slower and with more twang these pilots talk. They must teach it in test pilot school or something.

"And-uuummmmmm. Left engine on fire and-ummmmmmmm... Requesting-ummmm, direct to..."
"Say souls on board".
"Alls we-all are-ummmm 52."

BAE146QT

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting PPVRA:

Just in case there is a language barrier to the humour here, yes, I was kidding. In fact I was laughing so hard it was all I could do to stay in my chair while I typed it.

And of course, if the chair had been made in the southern hemisphere, it might have catapulted me to the ceiling when I started laughing.

Quoting Starlionblue:
They must teach it in test pilot school or something.

I don't remember where I read/heard it - it may even have been SlamClick - but someone once said that it's an affectation that gets picked up quite early. Almost as though pretending to be Gen. Yeager would give you his legendary skills in a crisis.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 59):

I don't remember where I read/heard it - it may even have been SlamClick - but someone once said that it's an affectation that gets picked up quite early. Almost as though pretending to be Gen. Yeager would give you his legendary skills in a crisis.

It probably serves to keep calm too. If you speak slowly and act calmly you are less likely to panic. Subconscious no doubt.

PPVRA

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 59):

Just in case there is a language barrier to the humour here, yes, I was kidding. In fact I was laughing so hard it was all I could do to stay in my chair while I typed it.

It's alright, I answered that way because (1) I'm not a science major (but understand enough of it to see through the outrageous comment lol) and (2), for politeness sake.

Cheers!