Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JETBLUEATASW
Topic Author

AMERICAN/AMERICAN Eagle NON REV Travel

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:41 am

I was just wondering something. I havent flown american since i was 5 years old, and now i am 24 now. Im going to be starting college of aeronautics in september . I flew American from JFK to MCO. I always wanted to fly a Mcdonnel Douglas 80 aka a Mad Dog. I havent flown a Mcdonnel douglas since the days of TWA. I wanted to possibly talk to a American Pilot if i can to find out what the requirements for American Mainline. I know im pretty much going to start with American Eagle if i possibly can. I asked the phone reservations agent about workin for American today and she said that its a excellent airline to work for, but attempting to get on non rev travel is nearly impossible. She even said most people who work for American, just end up paying so they do not end up on standby. The one good thing she said about non rev travel with American Eagle and American is, it is NOT based on senority at the gate check in. its first come and first served!
"DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YA, THE NEXT TIME U LAND A PLANE ON MY STRIP, BONE UP ON YOUR MORSE CODE"-Tom Berenger

EMBQA

RE: AMERICAN/AMERICAN Eagle NON REV Travel

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:50 am

So what is your question....?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

JETBLUEATASW
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:51 am

LOL sorry. is it true, it is almost impossible to fly non rev for American? they say their flights get THAT full.
"DO ME A FAVOR WOULD YA, THE NEXT TIME U LAND A PLANE ON MY STRIP, BONE UP ON YOUR MORSE CODE"-Tom Berenger

EMBQA

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:05 pm

It's bad industry wide and has been for a few years. Also, American has several different levels of Non-Rev Travel and it's not first come first served. It's based off your priority listing.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

A10WARTHOG

Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 pm

It also depends on when you fly. When I worked for Eagle, I would choice dates before or after the heaviest travel time. I normally did not have any trouble. But I really depends on when you fly, where you fly and if DFW and ORD get nailed with weather at the same time.

triple7man

Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am

I always tell my guests to be patient, they'll eventually get there. If you're adventurous and can be flexible it is a great way to travel.

For AA your place on the standby list is determined by 2 things; your priority classification and the time you checked in. If you are a through passenger (connecting from an incoming flight) that will give you a higher place on the list. Employees and retirees have higher priority than guests.

Case example...in 1997 I was trying to non rev DFW-TUL. I checked in for my flight, around 1PM and was told it was full or oversold. There had been some cancellations or weather. Just so you know, TUL is a VERY DIFFICULT place to non rev because of the number of flights and AA has it's accounting offices, SABRE, and a large maintanance base at TUL.
If you are not accomodated on a flight, you will be "rolled over" to the next one, that is your name will automatically be placed on the standby list for the next flight and you will go before passegers just checking in for the flight. I found out that I was #120 on the standby list. So I continued to wait, and keep getting rolled over to the next flight. After the next to last flight departed, the agent said she would call out the names of passengers on the standby list and ask if we wanted to be rolled over to the last flight. A lot of passengers had given up and quit trying to get on a flight, so this shrunk the list by over 80 passengers.
At the gate for the last flight, the agent said he will print out and post the list. When it was time to call standbys, he said he will call each name only twice. If we don't answer, he will go to the next one on the list. I got on that flight.

In 2004, I was flying DFW-DEN. I was 35 on the list. My friend was working that flight and asked me why did I want to go to DEN (I normally fly internationally on the 777). I told her it was for a reunion. I also told her I'm not going to get on this flight, am I, to which she agreed. Once again, when it came time to call standby passengers, a number of them didn't answer. I got on and made it to the reunion.

Bottom line, if you can be patient and flexible, non revving is a great way to travel. I've flown over 750,000 miles as a non rev.
Have you kissed a 777 today?

US AIRWAYS

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:17 pm

I've always been able to get wherever I needed to on my airline. Sometimes it requires a connection, but I can usually always route myself to where I want to go. Non rev travel has been a little more difficult since the cuts in capacity, but overall I still don't think it's that difficult. You just have to be smart about it.
Go Eagles!

ebs757

Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:50 am

Domestic flights are usually always going full for me. All you can do is watch it and get that first flight out. International flights usually have many available seats I hear
Viva la Vida

AirWillie6475

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:37 pm

It helps to have cockpit access. I've never had any problems yet on American. However I try to avoid them, usually go on United. By the way I'm not sure what you were saying on the first post but if you're trying to fly for AA mainline, American Eagle is the last place you should be going.