Well, it's that time of year again....the time when a young man's fancy turns to thoughts of fuselage hatches and APU intakes.
Yes folks, it's the new season of "Identify This"!
For those of you who don't remember, "Identify This" is an aircraft identification game, based on technical, aerodynamic, and mechanical details of aircraft. Last year, an intense competition took place. It was so popular, it had to be extended into part two.
After the smoke had cleared, seven weeks had passed. There were 14,000 views, 578 posts, and 82 individual aircraft shots. To this day, the number of discarded relationships, neglected marriages, and divorce hearings remains unknown. The final point standings were:
Lowrider - First place winner
3DPlanes - Second place winner
Scooter01 - Third place winner
Curmudgeon - 7
KELPkid - 6
KBFIspotter - 5
JetMech - 5
474218 - 4
Francoflier - 4
ZanL188 - 4
Speedracer1407 - 2
Ilikeyyc - 2
Oly720man - 2
Boeingfixer - 2
FLY2HMO - 1
MissedApproach - 1
Legoguy - 1
N231YE - 1
Jdl1527 - 1
GQfluffy - 1
Starlionblue - 1
MrChips - 1
Starglider - 1
Although some great prizes were won and everyone had fun, there will be a few changes for this year's contest:
First, guesses will be submitted to me directly, via the contact link in my profile.
- This will give everyone a fair shot. This way, nobody will have to wake up at 4am to see the current aircraft and submit a guess.
- Contestants will receive one point each for a correct guess. A correct guess must include the manufacturer, model number (if applicable), and model name (if applicable).
- When submitting a guess, please include "Identify This" in the subject line to help me organize the emails.
Second, I will attempt to post a new aircraft every other day. Due to my travel schedule, I won't always be able to adhere to this, but I'll do my best.
Third, the prizes will be awarded in a different manner. Rather than offer predetermined prize packages (like last year), there will be a total of TEN prizes. They will be awarded in the following manner:
- The first-place winner will have his/her choice of FOUR prizes.
- The second-place finisher will have his/her choice of THREE of the remaining prizes.
- The third-place finisher will have his/her choice of TWO of the remaining prizes (after the winner and runner-up choose their prizes).
- The fourth-place finisher will receive the remaining prize.
The contest will conclude on September 30, 2007. If there is a tie, we will go into a "sudden death" round to determine the winner.
Prizes are being provided by myself and Lowrider. If you live in Outer Umbrellastan, I may ask you to chip in for shipping, but only in extreme cases.
Here they are:
Concorde, by F.G. Clark and Arthur Gibson:
U.S.A.F.E., by Michael Skinner:
The Legend of Cessna, by Jeffrey L. Rodengen:
Inside the Sky, by William Langewiesche:
Stick & Rudder, by Wolfgang Langewiesche:
1977 Cessna Skyhawk Pilot's Operating Handbook:
Piperjet promotional brochure and souvenir button:
Hondajet promotional poster:
High-quality Eclipse Concept Jet promotional poster
- As far as I know, these were only made available at the launch of the ECJ during it's unveiling at Airventure 2007 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
Bell-Boeing BA609 Tiltrotor Package
Includes the following:
- Freestanding calendar
- Two different brochures
- Informational CD-ROM
- BA609 tie tac
And so, here is the first aircraft:
For the record, I'm going to make this round just a bit more difficult than the previous rounds. Last year, all but one of the aircraft were correctly identified. This year, there may be three or four.
Remember....don't post your guesses here. Send them to me via the contact link in my profile.