Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

SlamClick

RE: Joysticks: How Many Went For It?

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Aogdesk (Reply 99):
re: pilot writeups from Brand X Airlines"

I get that one all the time too.

The funniest one I ever heard wasn't even on the list. In Vietnam I was flying one day with our maintenance officer. When we saw the tail number we were assigned he told me that he'd flown it yesterday and the cockpit was filthy and he'd written it up. He was looking forward to flying a nice clean airplane.

When we got to the revetments he took a look at the logbook and went as berserk as his mild disposition would permit. There were the entries:

(1) Cockpit full of crumbs.

the signoff: "Installed bird."

He was not amused and took the crewchief away for a conversation while I preflighted.
I thought it was hysterical, but then I wasn' t responsible for any of it.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

aogdesk

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 am

I just recently saw a crew logbook write up a pack as 'smelling like an old boot". The mechanic stated (in writing) that he pulled off his old boot and smelled it, and it didn't smell anything like the pack in question.

Hopefully the FAA PMI's have an eye for humor..... Smile

speedracer1407

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 100):
In Vietnam I was flying one day with our maintenance officer.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 100):
(1) Cockpit full of crumbs.

the signoff: "Installed bird."

Hilarious, of course, but was a pilot flying in one of the ugliest wars in U.S. history really complaining about crumbs?
Dassault Mercure: the plane that has Boeing and Airbus shaking in their boots.

bond007

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 98):
These are words used by people outside the industry.

Boy, it's real tough to admit the term 'joystick' started in the aviation industry... if you don't happen to personally like the term today isn't it  Wink

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Jetlagged

Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 103):
Boy, it's real tough to admit the term 'joystick' started in the aviation industry

Do you know this for sure? It might have been from slang originally, adopted by pilots, but it certainly isn't recognised terminology.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Speedracer1407 (Reply 102):
Hilarious, of course, but was a pilot flying in one of the ugliest wars in U.S. history really complaining about crumbs?

Why not? Humor is a time honored way to deal with stress.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Jetlagged

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 105):
Why not? Humor is a time honored way to deal with stress.

The maintenance officer concerned would appear to have been lacking in the sense of humour department. Petty officialdom does not disappear when war breaks out though.

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 106):
The maintenance officer concerned would appear to have been lacking in the sense of humour department. Petty officialdom does not disappear when war breaks out though.

So true. These people are also known as REMFs.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Klaus

Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 103):
Boy, it's real tough to admit the term 'joystick' started in the aviation industry... if you don't happen to personally like the term today isn't it

I'm pretty certain it did in fact originate in the context of the early video games.

And it's no wonder that nobody in the aviation industry would be caught dead being associated with something like this:

mischievous 

As for Boeing's reluctance to switch to sidestick control, the associated change in the control philosophy would probably be a much larger change, with corresponding implications for pilot training.

They seem to shy away from imposing such a change on their prospective customers - after all, they might be tempted to go for Airbus while they'd have to invest in retraining on that level anyway if the decision was very close...

Could well be more of a psychological barrier during sales negotiations, but the still necessary difference training may not turn up as a "major" bullet point in the comparison chart as long as at least some commonality appears to be retained, however much that may mean in actual practice.

Jetlagged

Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 108):
I'm pretty certain it did in fact originate in the context of the early video games.

No, the term was definitely in use long before video games were even thought of.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-joy1.htm

ThrottleHold

Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Jetfixer (Reply 44):
. Airbus chose to control the horizontal stab and rudder mechanically using rudder pedals and a trim wheel.

The newer A330/A340's have no mechanical back-up to the rudder. It is all purely electrical.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 89):
If you fly Boeing you have to do your Jepp revisions on layovers. Airbus you can do them on any long segment.

Jepp revisions??!! That's the job of the office workers in Ops! We just pick up the assigned nav bag with destination booklets.