777fan
Topic Author

UA To Sell Off Its SFO Maintenance Center?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:00 am

Smart move if they can get the unions to sign on. Does anyone have an idea as to how this might affect UA's ops out of SFO?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...hi-thu_unitedaug23,0,3679316.story

777fan

[Edited 2007-08-23 21:00:26]
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Ex_SQer

RE: UA To Sell Off Its SFO Maintenance Center?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 am

I went through several rounds of interviews for a managerial position in the Corporate Strategy Dept at United Services. During my pre-interview research, I figured that this option would eventually be explored in earnest.

kc135topboom

Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:18 am

If UA can no longer compete for other airline maintenance work, then they should sell the SFO maintenance operation. Both AA and DL have huge maintenance contracts with other airlines, and can under bid an airline like UA.

If the SFO maintenance operation is sold, UA can reduce some airline traffic through SFO. They still have huge hubs at ORD and DEN, so reducing SFO will not hurt them to much.

I don't believe that UA will need union approval to sell the operation. It does not sound like they needed it when they closed IND. I doubt to many senior mechanics will decide to move from the Bay Area in California to the ORD area and the very cold winters. We are really talking about guys who can retire from UA and still get jobs with the new owner.

N174UA

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am

Doesn't surprise me. That land that MOC I and II sit on is probably worth at least $1 billion. The city fathers of SF would love nothing more than to get rid of it and sell it to developers for hotels, overpriced condos, etc. etc.

When they were built, they added thousands of jobs, not to mention MILLIIONS to developing the local economy. My Dad started there in late 1967 in the turbine and electric shops. My grandfather worked in the paint shop (SFOOV). I remember walking through there as a kid...amazing place. That's where the first 767-200 was delivered to UA, in August '82, and the DC-10 several years before. Probably other aircraft as well.

The unfortunate reality however is that UA or any other company can't afford to pay "living wages" for a mechanic in that area anymore given the price of housing. So, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Besides, UA already exported a lot of those jobs overseas anyway.

charlienorth

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 2):
Both AA and DL have huge maintenance contracts with other airlines, and can under bid an airline like UA.

Sad thing is UAL hasn't invested in the base to make it a viable competitor in this business.

If the SFO maintenance operation is sold, UA can reduce some airline traffic through SFO

I don't think a change in the MX base will affect the flight schedule.

don't believe that UA will need union approval to sell the operation. It does not sound like they needed it when they closed IND

They do and The IMC was closed with the acceptance of a concessionary contract approved by the membership.
management shows no interest in running an airline they have not held to any kind of a plan he is a greedy manwho only wants to wring every last penny he can, I see legacy's in ten years flying transcons and some select business routes out of hubs and International service,regional carriers and codeshare will handle everything else,there will be limited Customer staff,ramp service will be contracted out as will be MX,if they could contract out flight crews they would
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

LAXintl

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:17 am

Sounds like a good plan to spin off the MRO division into a separate company in partnership with others.
This has been successfully accomplished by many in the industry including Air Canada, Swissair and Lufthansa. United should be able to unlock many millions in value thru such a transaction.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

777fan
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:36 am

If UA can no longer compete for other airline maintenance work

Doesn't sound like a competition issue, so much as an opportunity to pocket some cash and trim some expenses.

Quoting Charlienorth (Reply 4):
Sad thing is UAL hasn't invested in the base to make it a viable competitor in this business.

If that's the case, then the potential sale opens the door to make the facility competitive.

UA bashers begone!

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

as739x

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am

And what start pulling from their west coast money maker? No way! The still have an Asia hub from here and only LA can compare in O/D traffic to asia.

To answer the question. There is rumors going through the UAL family. My co-workers sister and husband work at the MOC. She told him the same thing. But I sure hope its a rumor.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

platinumfoota

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:20 am

Sad to see United cutting Maintenance jobs for those employees who helped them through bankruptcy, seems like United is looking to outsource lots of jobs. Wonder how far will they go. Hope they dont sell and keep United, United.
Never forget United 93

socalfive

Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:36 am

Outsourcing MX to china, where else? That way we can have all our American aircraft screwed up as badly as our dogfood, candles, electric blankets, Mattel toys and spongebob squarepants books to name but a few. Nice to see WN keeping it all American at least.

as739x

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 9):

Actually UAL widebodies are being done in S. Korea is I am no mistaken.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

unitednrt

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting AS739X (Reply 10):

Yep, in nearby PUS.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

uadc8contrail

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting UnitedNRT (Reply 11):
Yep, in nearby PUS.

iirc the 777s are serviced in south korea and the 744s in beijing...
internal memo that has been leaked out had 3000 jobs gone and if some exercise the bump up to 200+ in chicago bumped to the street due to transfers from sfo
Bus Driver

AirNZ

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:32 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 9):
That way we can have all our American aircraft screwed up as badly as our dogfood, candles, electric blankets, Mattel toys and spongebob squarepants books to name but a few. Nice to see

No one's forcing anyone to buy anything 'foreign' made? Problem is, it's probably cheaper so it's bought......and then the same people complain
Flown:F27/TU134/Viscount/Trident/BAC111/727/737/747/757/767/777/300/310/320/321/330/340/DC9/DC10/Dash8/Shorts330/BAe146

unitednrt

Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 12):

They're actually switched in your post, the -422s have HMV in PEK, while the -222/ER have HMV in PUS. I get them confused much of the time.

Regards sir,

UnitedNRT
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

socalfive

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting AirNZ (Reply 13):
No one's forcing anyone to buy anything 'foreign' made? Problem is, it's probably cheaper so it's bought......and then the same people complain

Two things, one is, there's god damned little choice but to buy Chinese made crap in this country anymore, 99% of anything you buy is "made in China", and it's all crap. Secondly, when it comes to food additives-which is the frightening part-we have no idea they're putting this Chinese made crap in our food because there's no FDA oversight to make these companies list the origin of the additives.

There's nothing wrong with "Foreign" made products, the problem is the US is under siege by corporations more interested in the bottom line than quality and China is their bottom line answer with no quality control and no oversight. So, my point here is, what about Chinese crap labor working on our aircraft? Not something I'm interested in.

In the UK you may not be under this same siege, here in the US we ARE and have not one word to say about it. And until you wake up every morning to find there's a whole new batch of Chinese Crap being recalled due to poisons, lead, or crap workmanship causing dangers of electrocution and fire, you have no reason to make moronic statements about who is complaining about what.

uadc8contrail

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:27 pm

i stated

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 12):
iirc the 777s are serviced in south korea and the 744s in beijing...

Quoting UnitedNRT (Reply 14):
They're actually switched in your post, the -422s have HMV in PEK, while the -222/ER have HMV in PUS. I get them confused much of the time.

now im really confused.......
Bus Driver

LMP737

Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:37 pm

I doubt to many senior mechanics will decide to move from the Bay Area in California to the ORD area and the very cold winters.

You would be suprised.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LAXintl

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 16):
now im really confused.......

No need. 777s by Ameco in Beijing, and 744 by Korean Air in PUS.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airbazar

Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 15):
There's nothing wrong with "Foreign" made products, the problem is the US is under siege by corporations more interested in the bottom line than quality and China is their bottom line answer with no quality control and no oversight.

Oh please. We (US) are the kings at putting the bottom line in front of quality, otherwise there would not be a market for cheap foreign-made goods and we would not be the biggest economy in the World. Do you think any of the big box stores would even exist if ours was not an economy of "value" instead of quality? And yes, we have a choice. For every Chinese made product there is a non-chinese made equivalent. We just chose not to buy the better made but more expensive one.
As for outsourcing/offshoring airline maintenance, lets look at facts shall we. Never before has there been so many aircraft flying and so many people traveling by airplane. Never before has there been so many airlines outsourcing their maintenace to foreign countries. And yet, airline travel has never before been so safe. Sort of dispells the doom and gloom myth that sending maintenance work abroad is bad.
Nevertheless, regardless of where the work takes place, it's still ultimately and by "law", the responsibility of the airline to maintain quality control. over its outsourced maintenance. Take a look at the recent case of TAAG being banned from the EU. they operate brand new 777's whose safety department is headed by Boeing professionals but maintenace outsourced to SAA, the same maintenace that maintains SAA's planes, and yet SAA is allowed to operate to Europe. Why? Because TAAG's safety department that failed to comply with the rules. So where your proffesionals are from or where the work takes place has little to do with safety. It's the quality of the work that matters and the facts show that quality has never been so high.

unitednrt

Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 16):

Yep, the pm I sent you was correct, my post wasn't.

ex52tech

Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 19):

Oh please. We (US) are the kings at putting the bottom line in front of quality,

I totally agree with you here.

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 19):
And yet, airline travel has never before been so safe. Sort of dispells the doom and gloom myth that sending maintenance work abroad is bad.

Neglect tends to take time to rear its ugly head.
"Saddest thing I ever witnessed....an airplane being scrapped"