Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

CoolGuy
Topic Author

Alternate Airport For LHR

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:54 am

I was on a VS flight JFK-LHR, which has a 90 minute taxi (JFK + fog + traffic). One hour before landing the captain states that if we have to hold for more than 15 minutes, the aircraft would have to divert to its alternate. Luckily it didn't happen. But if it did, where would the aircraft go and what would have happened? Refuel and then depart pretty quickly, deplane, etc.?

Anywhere I could go to find commonly selected alternate airports? The only one I know of is once VS LHR-JFK had PHL in the flight plan.

Besides the fuel for the normal route, 5% continency, 45 mins, travel to the alternate and 5% contingency for that too, how much taxi fuel is typically loaded onto flights like these?

Ryanair737

RE: Alternate Airport For LHR

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting CoolGuy (Thread starter):
But if it did, where would the aircraft go and what would have happened?

Gatwick is the number 1 alternate for Heathrow.
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

flymatt2bermud

Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 am

Anywhere I could go to find commonly selected alternate airports? The only one I know of is once VS LHR-JFK had PHL in the flight plan.

Just because you list an airport as an alternate is not automatic in the event of a diversion. If the weather works, typically it is not a problem but air traffic tie ups could require you to steer elsewhere. Alternate airports are selected based up weather forecasts, conditions and fuel/performance calculations. Air carrier alternates must meet additional regulatory and operational criteria some of which is based upon seats and available fire control not to mention ground service capabilities. There are several airports in the immediate vicinity of LHR Stansted, Gatwick, Luton. If the diversion is due to low visibility they may have to cross the channel and go to Brussels or a Paris airport such as CDG.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

CosmicCruiser

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:06 am

Besides the fuel for the normal route, 5% continency, 45 mins, travel to the alternate and 5% contingency for that too, how much taxi fuel is typically loaded onto flights like these?

First, internationaly the fuel requirements are : fuel to dest.,thereafter 10% of the enroute TIME in fuel, alternate, and 30 min at holding speed at 1500'.

I've never seen taxi in fuel calculated; only taxi out and that's from historic data.

oly720man

Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Ryanair737 (Reply 1):
Gatwick is the number 1 alternate for Heathrow.

Depends. With so many arrivals at LHR one diversion field would quickly fill up.... especially somewhere already busy as LGW. VS also turn up at MAN on diversions.

With bad weather, BA have diverted to, amongst others, Stansted, Cardiff, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle and Shannon.

But if it did, where would the aircraft go and what would have happened? Refuel and then depart pretty quickly, deplane, etc.?

Depends on the weather, time of day, how busy LHR is, how urgently the plane may be needed, crew hours, the possibility of a replacement crew and, maybe other issues. A plane diverted to LGW could well terminate there and then fly empty to LHR.

Some planes diverted to MAN in the past have terminated there and the pax bussed to/'from LHR. Others have landed and then refuelled, presumably just to get back in the air and then in the queue for LHR as and when the weather improved.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

411A

Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:43 am

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 3):
First, internationaly the fuel requirements are : fuel to dest.,thereafter 10% of the enroute TIME in fuel, alternate, and 30 min at holding speed at 1500'

FAA requirements only, for US air carriers.

Other regulatory authorities have different fuel requirements, for example...

Fuel to destination.
Contingency fuel ((5% in many cases)
Approach and landing
Go around
Diversion to alternate
Holding at alternate at 1500 agl for 30 minutes.

-OR-

Re-release.

Flight planned to an intermediate destination.
If wx OK, and fuel remains to desired destination...

Fuel to final destination
3% minimum contingency
Approach and landing
Go-around
Diversion to alternate
Holding at alternate for 30 minutes at 1500 agl.

-OR-

As above, eliminating the alternate fuel, if the weather is within certain perameters, and more than one landing runway is available.

Several other variations.

In all cases, taxi fuel is in addition to the above.
If a prolonged taxi is anticipated, additional fuel is uplifted accordingly.

BMED

Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 4):
BA have diverted to, amongst others

Also on rare occassions we have seen BA aircraft down at BOH.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

ajd1992

Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Either Gatwick, Stansted and on the rare occasion Birmingham or maybe even Manchester.

PhilSquares

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:44 am

Having flown into LHR on several occasions, I'd say it really depends. I've seen AMS, CDG, MAN, GLA, LGW and FRA all used as the filed alternate. Now just because you've filed XXX as an alternate doesn't mean you have to use it. If you have an alternate that's more distant and the weather at a closer in airport is acceptable, you just ACARS or SATCOM dispatch and work it out with them.
Fly fast, live slow

zarniwoop

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:43 am

I got caught up in the catering strike in 2005. In that case there was no room at Heathrow for all of BA's planes so the alternates were every airport in the UK. I was on a SIN-LHR flight and we ended up landing at Glasgow Prestwick. I went to Glasgow airport to get a connection to BHX, at both GLA and BHX there were diverted BA 777 & 747's parked up.