Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777236ER

RE: Pilots Perspective. Boeing & Airbus

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 21):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than a prototype or two, no A300s were FBW, meaning that its not really a good example for promoting Airbus's FBW logic.

That wasn't the question though:

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 11):
That was well put! I know this is an unlikely/impossible circumstance, but would an airbus allow pilots, in an emergency, to do what the Sioux City DC-10 pilots did and control the plane by manipulating the thrust if the other control systems failed?

The answer is 'yes' and the A300 was landed safely without the deaths of the two DC-10 crashes. An A380 would be perfectly flyable after losing all of its shipwide hydraulics.

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 37):
In short, the A300 is not an FBW product, so I don't see how it can be used to justify the effectiveness of the limits in the Airbus FBW system!

It never was.
Your bone's got a little machine

Pihero

Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:47 pm

I found the part of the article quoted by Bok269 :
..."But Pearson is relieved that he wasn’t flying
an Airbus. “You can’t sideslip an Airbus aircraft,
the computers won’t let you,” he says. “Boeing
aircraft are capable because they’re a hydraulic controlled
aircraft and you can cross control.”
"...

Jetlagged and PGNCS are indeed correct : a 'Bus can be sideslipped. It's a matter of changing the neutral point of the 1G requirement. Enough said.
Cheers.
Contrail designer

Starlionblue

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Pihero (Reply 51):
a 'Bus can be sideslipped. It's a matter of changing the neutral point of the 1G requirement. Enough said.
Cheers.

Not enough at all! Could you please expand on that? Inquiring minds want to know.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Faro

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 am

I'm only an armchair, FSX pilot but I much prefer the moving throttles (when on A/T, especially on approach) on the Boeings just as I much prefer the auto-trim feature of the Airbii. Matter of preference as was said.

Faro
The chalice not my son

Jetlagged

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 52):
Not enough at all! Could you please expand on that? Inquiring minds want to know.

You roll the aircraft to the desired angle then release the sidestick. The FBW will maintain this bank angle. In a conventional aircraft the wheel will have to be held in position. The aerodynamics of cross control are the same for all aircraft, but the pilot must get used to not holding the bank on with wheel in a sideslip.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

phxplanes

Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I just did a report on this very article and topic. I like being able to fly the plane. All this knew technology is amazing but I still like the old fashion way of big steam gauges and the pilot having to do all the work.

Starlionblue

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:14 am

Quoting Phxplanes (Reply 55):
I just did a report on this very article and topic. I like being able to fly the plane. All this knew technology is amazing but I still like the old fashion way of big steam gauges and the pilot having to do all the work.

Sure. But if I may be a bit crass the pilot is not technically there to "like" flying the plane. The pilot is paid to get the job done.  Wink

Consider also (and I'm speculating):
- If you've been flying for 10 years, perhaps you've done the "hands on" flying thing now and don't feel a need to do it on every single segment.
- If you've been flying for 10 years, perhaps changing to an entirely new way of controlling the aircraft is an exciting challenge.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

acabgd

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 11):
So I guess this is a long answer to a short question

Amen!
CSud,D9,MD8x,D10,Trid,BAC1,A30,31,319,320,321,33,346,B71,72,73,74,75,76,77,L10,S20,A42,A72,T13,T15,F50,F70,F100,B146