Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingnanook
Topic Author

Say Hi To A.net's Newest Dispatcher!

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:31 am

Hi everybody!

After a long and grueling 6 weeks in Florida (I am so glad to be leaving today) I earned my dispatch license! 6 weeks of schooling, 3 FAA exams, and many many sunburns have paid off! And now I just need to get a job, I will be calling Mesa back today to line up an interview, and I'm waiting to hear from the other places I've applied. But right now, I'm just proud of myself and have to show off.

So, do any of you dispatchers on here have any advice on the job search or life in general?
Semper ubi sub ubi.

wilco737

RE: Say Hi To A.net's Newest Dispatcher!

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting FlyingNanook (Thread starter):

Congratulations!!! And good luck with your applications!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

OPNLguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:03 pm

So, do any of you dispatchers on here have any advice on the job search or life in general?

Congrats!

http://dsnow.homeip.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=WillDispatchForFood
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

pjflysfast

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:20 pm

A "Will Dispatch for Food" website. I thought OPNLguy was kidding.

Good Luck FlyingNanook!!

dispatchguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:10 pm

Welcome to the real world
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

joness0154

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:33 pm

Try FlightOptions.

They're not an airline but a fractional operator. I interviewed with them for an account rep position and have heard nothing but good things. I know they just placed a gargantuan order for airplanes and I know they are looking for dispatchers.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

dispatchguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:57 pm

But remember with F/O (and all other frac operators), as a dispatcher you are nothing but a glorified (but nicely paid) flight follower, with NO true operational control responsibility per FAR.

If you wanna "Dispatch", then you work under 121, and go find a position accordingly. People are hiring, or will be, all over the country; it all depends on where you wanna live, or where you want to commute between. If I remember you are from Alaska.

Mesa, with their recent increase in pay wouldnt be intolerable; and the weather in Phoenix is much warmer than ANC  Smile

A/c train

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm

dispatch licence ? what does that entail in the states ? a dispatcher over here doesnt need a licence to my knowledge ?

Goldenshield

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting A/c train (Reply 7):
a dispatcher over here doesnt need a licence to my knowledg

A dispatcher over there doesn't entail the same responsibilities, either.

I will be calling Mesa back today to line up an interview,

Dear God, WHY? Sure, they fly the same equipment as everyone else, but the work rules, pay, and QOL suck there. Their neighbor to north is MUCH, MUCH better if you can stand living in the city they are HQ'd at.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

OPNLguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting A/c train (Reply 7):
dispatch licence ? what does that entail in the states ? a dispatcher over here doesnt need a licence to my knowledge ?

A dispatcher here in the USA is akin to what are called Flight Operations Officers over there...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dispatchguy

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Actually, Mesa recently got a payraise, per the Will Dispatch For Food Website.

JayDub

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 pm

It's still Mesa...

Congrats on getting your license to learn and welcome to the fold! Feel free to ask any questions ya need answered...someone here can answer them.
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

sdf880

Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:30 pm

Congrats! In my 20+ years of doing this I have always looked at my license as a ticket to learn. Start to get comfortable and think you know most everything I guarantee you will get bit hard. Overall I still think it is a great job! Best of luck to you!

SDF880

flyingnanook
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 am

Thanks for all the well wishes. As for looking at Mesa, right now I'm just trying to get my foot in the door and get some experience before I can get hired on with one of the majors. I've also applied to Mesaba, Expressjet, Air Wisonsin, and another one that escapes me right now.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 8):
Their neighbor to north is MUCH, MUCH better if you can stand living in the city they are HQ'd at.

Maybe I'm being a bit dense, but who are you referring to? Skywest? If so, I've been told by people that know me that I would hate St. George.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

kstatepilot

Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:31 am

Congrats, I hope you get the job at Mesa. Best of luck!

BTW: Please no YV bashing

2H4

Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:41 am

I earned my dispatch license!

Congratulations!

6 weeks of schooling

That seems pretty short. Was it an accelerated program? What does dispatcher certification cost these days?

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

flyingnanook
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:27 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):
That seems pretty short. Was it an accelerated program? What does dispatcher certification cost these days?

Nope, that's the standard dispatcher course. 6 weeks/200 hours. I paid somewhere around $5000, including housing, tuition, and exams. Other courses are cheaper, but I went to the school I did because of recommendations from other dispatchers that I know.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

dispatcher

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 am

I earned my dispatch license!

Congratulations! Best wishes in your job search, if I might offer a hint.. you don't necessarily have to get hired on as a dispatcher right off, sometimes it might work out as a better, quicker route to go in at a lower / different position, then transfer over within the company when you get the opportunity. I started out in aircraft routing (a function of Maintenance Operations Control), then applied for the dispatch position shortly thereafter once I had gained some experience. Granted, the times are different now and If I were applying for the position I have today with the experience level I had back then I would not have even been granted an interview. My employer has become very selective (because they can) and will only look at people now who have either at least 1 year of full time flight dispatch, and or a ton of flight time with lots of ratings and preferably some jet time. The preference is to hire from within but we currently have positions available that have been posted externally. Let me be clear however, the real qualifications for the job are much higher than what are posted, I know quite a few people here in the company who applied for the last positions before they went external who met the qualifications of the job posting but did not even get an interview. It seems the best way to get into dispatch here now is to work part time for the company while dispatching for someone else. That puts you in line before the external applicants and will just about guarantee you an interview.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
http://dsnow.homeip.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=WillDispatchForFood

Thanks for this link, I had found this site a while back but then it went belly up and I lost track of it.

Goldenshield

Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 13):
Maybe I'm being a bit dense, but who are you referring to? Skywest? If so, I've been told by people that know me that I would hate St. George.

Like I said, if you can stand living in this town, you're pretty much set. The up-side is that your dollar would go further.

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 14):
Congrats, I hope you get the job at Mesa. Best of luck!

She'll most likely get the job. Their turnover is on the high side, so they will take most anyone with a pulse and a license. Of course, the up-side to that is there is always overtime.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting PJFlysFast (Reply 3):
A "Will Dispatch for Food" website. I thought OPNLguy was kidding

Never knew the was a Will Dispatch for Food but I'm ALWAYS on Will fly for Food.

Good luck man.
What gets measured gets done.

HAWK21M

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Congrats & welcome to the Field of Aviation from the Inside.
Out here there are no more Despatcher courses conducted & Flight Despatchers are in huge demand.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

JayDub

Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:43 am

Quoting FlyingNanook (Reply 13):
If so, I've been told by people that know me that I would hate St. George.

SGU does suck...I'm not a fan. However, the flight bennies are pretty damn good and the money ain't too bad. Nice family atmosphere in the office...we all kinda take care of each other.
"Travel is only glamorous in retrospect." - Paul Theroux

dispatchguy

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:47 am

If SGU was realistically commutable....

I have thought about SKW, but that would not be a fun commute, especially if you dont make the flight @ SGU and have to drive to LAS weekly...

I'm married, and I doubt that my wife would want to move to SGU, and for her finding a job (she is a VP HR for a local tech company) I dont think that she would go for SGU

fxra

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:05 am

Congrats!! I can still remember when my examiner let out "Well, I'm tired of asking questions, lets go type up your temporary license".

Th best advice I can give is don't let the management pressure you into doing things you are not comfortable with. And don't get caught up in office/union politics. Oh and try to remember that pilots are people too  Smile and not all of them know what you do or what information you can provide.

Best of luck.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Fly2HMO

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:13 am

Mesa

spit   ill   vomit 

Joking aside, congrats! There's lots of demand for dispatchers right now in the majors, I'd shoot for one of them. Very few people out there are pilots, and even less are dispatchers. I'm thinking about getting my dispatchers license eventually.

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:49 am

Quoting FXRA (Reply 23):
I can still remember when my examiner let out "Well, I'm tired of asking questions, lets go type up your temporary license".

As a former examiner, one of my ways to end the exam was to tell that applicant that everything that they'd done up until that point was 1% of their grade, and the final question for the 99% of the exam was why there was this half-an-airplane thingie on the NOS/NACO High charts.... Most of them got a kick out of it, but a couple who didn't know the exceptionally simple answer really freaked....for a few seconds anyways....  Wink

stratosphere

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
Joking aside, congrats! There's lots of demand for dispatchers right now in the majors, I'd shoot for one of them

You can try but most majors want experience also. Good luck.

Goldenshield

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 24):
Joking aside, congrats! There's lots of demand for dispatchers right now in the majors, I'd shoot for one of them.

Without experience, the only way they would even glimpse at you was if you had bachelors or higher, and even then, you still wouldn't stand a chance against those with cold, hard experience.