Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ceph
Topic Author

PPL Training Attire

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 pm

I was just wondering if anyone wears flight suits for PPL training?

wilco737

RE: PPL Training Attire

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:33 pm

Quoting Ceph (Thread starter):

I never did, we just got some weird looking overalls from our flight school! And a year after I left flight school, they changed it to bright coloured trousers and black polo shirt which has: Lufthansa Flight Training Logo on it...

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

pjflysfast

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:34 pm

Not typically unless your school requires it. Most try to just wear something comfortable unless there is a specific dress code. I've seen some wear ties when not required, but never a flight suit.

Ceph
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:41 pm

I see... I was just wondering cause my friends at the Singapore Youth Flying Club are required to wear one after their first solo. Furthermore, I might be working on my PPL overseas when its gonna be a bit cold..

jhooper

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm

I wore shorts and a T-shirt during PPL training (years ago)--I guess it depends on whether you want training at a relaxed mom-pop place or if you want to go someplace where there's more of a dress code. Nowdays, in my personal flying, I prefer to wear something a little more crashworthy. If you look at what other people are wearing at your flight school, that's probably appropriate. I personally think it's a little silly when people flying Cessna 172s are dressed like airline pilots, but if you really want the "professional image", then I guess more power to you.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

9VSIO

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:21 pm

We can wear whatever we want as long as it doesn't interfere with aircraft controls. I only wear flight suits when doing aerobatics, where it would make sense that you wouldn't want stuff shooting out of your pockets during negative-g maneuvers and i guess it makes wearing parachutes a tad easier.

Maybe I should go dressed as Captain Jack one day....

Quoting Ceph (Reply 3):
Furthermore, I might be working on my PPL overseas when its gonna be a bit cold..

Well, most aircraft have cabin heat, and let me tell you that the heat on the 172 is enough to start toasting me during the British winter (and I grew up in Singapore, so I know where you're coming from on this). In addition, some of the aircraft can turn into a real greenhouse the moment the sun sticks it's head out (eg Extra 200/300, Slingsby T67).

Where would you be doing your PPL?
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

Ceph
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 5):
Where would you be doing your PPL?

Nothing is confirmed at the moment but possibly Australia. Thanks for the advice.

flymatt2bermud

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 4):
I personally think it's a little silly when people flying Cessna 172s are dressed like airline pilots, but if you really want the "professional image", then I guess more power to you.

O.K. this is off subject but it's like going to a Chiropractic convention and everybody is calling everyone 'Doctor.' No disrespect intended but that's not what you hear at a typical orthopaedic convention.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

jhooper

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 7):
O.K. this is off subject but it's like going to a Chiropractic convention and everybody is calling everyone 'Doctor.' No disrespect intended but that's not what you hear at a typical orthopaedic convention.

Sorry, but I'm not really sure what that has to do with my post???

thegreatchecko

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

He's referring to the fact that Chiropractors are not really doctors in the MD sense like wearing a pilot's uniform during PPL training doesn't really make you a professional pilot in the you get paid to fly, high level of training, and have to wear the uniform sense.

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

saab2000

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:58 pm

I would pony up the money for a full uniform, double breasted like they wear at Air France and Delta. With a hat. And don't forget the Scott leather flight case. And a Jeppesen subscription for all the airports within about 1000 NM of your training airport. And for when the double breasted thing is not appropriate a leather jacket with epaulets looks great. Especially if you wear it with sunglasses indoors partly open like the guys on the F-Concourse in ORD.

But the most important thing is a pair of Ray Ban Aviators.

Wear what's comfortable or required. When I did my stuff at FlightSafety they had a uniform. Uniformly bad clothing, but at least we all looked like jokers!  Big grin
smrtrthnu

2H4

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 4):
I wore shorts and a T-shirt during PPL training

I always avoid shorts, even in hot weather. I much prefer sturdy pants and shoes in the event of a cabin fire. Maybe I overprepare for a relatively remote possibility, but I just feel too exposed in shorts and sandals like many people wear.

Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 10):

I thought the most important part was the 8-pound watch with four E6Bs and a built-in ELT....

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

futurecaptain

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
Quoting Saab2000 (Reply 10):

I thought the most important part was the 8-pound watch with four E6Bs and a built-in ELT....

I thought the most important part was sounding like a fighter pilot on the radio at all times.
"Cessna 12345 do you have the trafffic in sight?"
"I have the bogie in my crosshairs control"

"Cessna 12345 say speed"
"Mach 0.12"

School uniform requires an aviator shirt with epulates based on what licenses you have, a tie, dress pants, and blask shoes in the winter.
In summer we can have shorts and polos.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

airportugal310

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm

The main rules we had at Daniel Webster (and I don't know that they still exist) where:

-- Shoes (in case of a crash..imagine running out of wreckage in flip-flops?!)

--Pants (see above explanation and substitute where appropriate)
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

phxpilot

Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):

Reminds me of the old joke where the lady calls the police to report a naked airline pilot on her front lawn. The cops ask, "How do you know he's an airline pilot?" The lady replies, "Because he's got a really smal d*ck, a really big watch, and he's stealing my USA Today."

bok269

Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:22 pm

I flew today in a polo, jeans, and Pumas. This is at an FBO though. I know Delta Connection Academy requires a blue Shirt with epaulets, but I haven't hear great things about them though.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

9VSIO

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Oh, and I've read that in certain Middle Eastern countries, people won't believe that you're the pilot unless you do dress up like an airline captain, even if you're just flying a C-172, so I guess that it's also a culture thing. Life became much much easier once they got "uniforms".

This comes from two articles from UK flying magazines where the authors had to land in the Middle East.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

Soku39

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:31 pm

Shoes in case of a crash, jeans, or any pants in case of cabin fire. T-shirt, polo, whatever you had on all day. In a 72 anything more is overdressing.
The Ohio Player

jhooper

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:48 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
I always avoid shorts, even in hot weather. I much prefer sturdy pants and shoes in the event of a cabin fire. Maybe I overprepare for a relatively remote possibility, but I just feel too exposed in shorts and sandals like many people wear.

I think you're right. I got my PPL 11 years ago when I was 17, but now I prefer to not wear shorts for the reason you cited.

ShyFlyer

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 16):
Oh, and I've read that in certain Middle Eastern countries, people won't believe that you're the pilot unless you do dress up like an airline captain, even if you're just flying a C-172, so I guess that it's also a culture thing.

It may also have something to do with the fact that General Aviation is virtually non-existent there.

------

As for flying apparel, unless the organization conducting your training specifies otherwise, I can only echo the following:

Quoting Soku39 (Reply 17):
Shoes in case of a crash, jeans, or any pants in case of cabin fire. T-shirt, polo, whatever you had on all day. In a 72 anything more is overdressing.

I'd add to that in case of an off field landing, having adequate clothing and footwear is essential. Flip-flops/sandals and shorts don't work so well when you've got to hike away from a forced landing or spend the night awaiting rescue.
I lift things up and put them down.

Inbound

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 am

Quoting Soku39 (Reply 17):

I agree with this.

When you get into commercial flying, and you're wearing your "black and white" everyday.....I bet you'll miss flying in casual clothes.

I certainly did. I recently did my ATPL checkride in jeans and polo, and it was a breath of fresh air.

I even look forward to dressing down a bit (but not too much) when I go to FlightSafety in Toronto.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

Mir

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:32 am

My school requires closed-toed shoes and pants. It sucks in the summer, but very good to be prepared for a fire or other form of emergency.

I would never voluntarily wear a pilot's uniform for training - there'll be plenty of time to do that once I get an airline job.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

luv2cattlecall

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:18 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 16):
Oh, and I've read that in certain Middle Eastern countries, people won't believe that you're the pilot unless you do dress up like an airline captain, even if you're just flying a C-172, so I guess that it's also a culture thing. Life became much much easier once they got "uniforms".

This comes from two articles from UK flying magazines where the authors had to land in the Middle East.

Not trying to be an ass, but in countries where Burgas are required of females, how do they get around that for flight training with unknown males? I'm assuming it would be extremely unsafe to wear one of those in the event of...anything.

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
My school requires closed-toed shoes and pants. It sucks in the summer, but very good to be prepared for a fire or other form of emergency.

I would never voluntarily wear a pilot's uniform for training - there'll be plenty of time to do that once I get an airline job.

-Mir

Seems like 100% opposite of what my flight instructor's "uniform" was: Birkenstock sandals (at least they weren't Crocs, those things would probably be the 1st thing to melt), Nautica Shorts, and a polo shirt.

mhodgson

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

My school (an intergrated course from zero hours to CAA/JAA fATPL) does its basic training in Arizona, so for the stage up to PPL and CPL we had to wear black trousers, smart shoes and pilot shirts with epaulette holders, plus the school epaulettes. As you can imagine, in Arizona, in summer, this was particularly uncomfortable! Thankfully we weren't required to wear a tie as well!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

DeltaGuy

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:07 pm

In a small C172 or whatnot, I go with something that won't melt on to my skin in case of a fire..no polyester or rayon, etc etc. Just cotton-based clothes.

In the Yak or other aerobatic plane, flightsuits are a good idea, for the pockets, fire-retardant qualities, plus it does make donning a parachute far easier.

I see people boarding flights all the time in stilettos and heels, bad call I say.....you should dress appropriately.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

ajd1992

Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:54 pm

My school doesn't have any dress codes, but the instructors wear casual clothes anyway, never shorts though.

I personally go in jeans and a t-shirt, plus i wear my legally required hi vis jacket from going airside outbound to going landside inbound.

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 pm

I did mines at a medium sized FBO. It was my money and they treated me accordingly. I Worse geans and a t-shirt or polo or shorts and a T for the most part. But the instructors ALWAYS work khaki's and their Cessna Training Center polo's. Nothing dressy but it was professional and showed uniformity.
What gets measured gets done.

Mir

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:10 am

Quoting Luv2cattlecall (Reply 22):
Not trying to be an ass, but in countries where Burgas are required of females, how do they get around that for flight training with unknown males? I'm assuming it would be extremely unsafe to wear one of those in the event of...anything.

I hate to generalize, but I would bet that in countries where burqas are required of females, there aren't many females doing flight training. So I don't think it's a problem.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flymatt2bermud

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:13 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 12):
"Cessna 12345 say speed"

Cessna 12345: "Speed"
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward" Leonardo Da Vinci

KELPkid

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:18 am

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 28):

Cessna 12345 Say again.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Soku39

Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:11 am

The other day a buddie's student did the all famous "Cessna 123 say parking". "Parking" laughing from the tower cab ensues.
The Ohio Player

futurecaptain

Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:29 am

Quoting FlyMatt2Bermud (Reply 28):

"Cessna 12345 say cancel IFR"
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

ThirtyEcho

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 25):

Trying to figure out where you came from and where you went.

Sure that you weren't going outside airbound and inside landbound?

Do you have to read back that clearance to walk to your airplane? Seems like a time to request progressive walking instructions.

Ceph
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:28 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 32):
Do you have to read back that clearance to walk to your airplane? Seems like a time to request progressive walking instructions.

Pilot 123, walk to parking2 via walkway Echo, Delta and stand 1.

ajd1992

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 32):

It's UK Aviation law that at any point while you are airside on ANY airfield, you must walk everywhere with a hi vis jacket on. No clearance or anything, it's just the law, either you stick to it, or you ain't going flying  Wink

It's basically so you aren't minced by a prop or something, just safety. I must admit, if you can't see somebody 20 feet in front of you on a taxiway or apron, you really shouldn't be flying at all...

In the summer I do take it off once i'm inside my "Traumahawk" though.

9VSIO

Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 am

Is it really av law? I thought it was at the discretion of the airport manager. Where I fly, we can walk out to our aircraft in flight suits without a high vis...

Obviously, it would be wiser to use the high vis and most do.

More of a Health and Safety thing to cover someone's ass I bet. More for the pilots taxiing around than for the chap walking.

mhodgson

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 35):
I thought it was at the discretion of the airport manager

I think it may be a CAA requirement, as they insisted we wear them airside at GYR as well. It is also required for all students, instructors and airside personnel to wear them in Oxford and at every other UK airport I have visited. The only exception is when people are being escorted to an aircraft, in which case the escorter must be wearing high vis.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Fly2HMO

Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:04 am

No dress code for my school, except that shorts and opened toed sandals were prohibited, due to concerns with survivability in a fire. Also, during winter, it was mandatory to take a jacket with you, though you didn't have to actually wear it.

I found that (not too baggy) cargo pants are great for flying. Lots of pockets to put pens, maps, flight plans,notes, flashlights, etc...

lowrider

Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:05 am

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 13):
Pants (

Unless you aspire to Southwest

Quoting Inbound (Reply 20):
When you get into commercial flying, and you're wearing your "black and white" everyday

Ah, one of the advantages of night freight.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 24):
I see people boarding flights all the time in stilettos and heels, bad call I say.....you should dress appropriately.

I don't know, I find it amusing to watch someone wobble and teeter across an ice covered ramp carrying two huge "carry on" bags and try to mount the stairs to an RJ in 4 inch stilettos. At select cities, the hilarity is compounded by the fact that the guy obviously hasn't worn heels much.
Proud OOTSK member