Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SEPilot

RE: Pilots Doing Dumb Things

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Quoting N231YE (Reply 47):
Your signature line adds a nice touch wink (just kidding)

Well, it is applicable to many, many situations. Almost as ubiquitous as Murphy's Law. By the way, I did not originate it; I heard it from a former co-worker of mine by the name of Dan Keebler. Perhaps it should go down in history as Keebler's Law?
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

FlyHoss

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 am

At my first flying job, I became aware of a local pilot that had a poor reputation. Eventually, I met him and he seemed OK to me, though I also could understand his reputation as a "penny-pincher." IIRC, he had landed his airplane (a Commander 112) gear up. After settling with the insurance company, he purchased a PA-23. Fortunately he was alone when he attempted a single engine take-off (he aborted the first one, then got it airborne on the second attempt). I believe this is the accident report:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001214X45173&key=1

The accident report does not report a single engine take off, but I do recall that was the report of at least one witness.
A little bit louder now, a lil bit louder now...

cptspeaking

Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:20 pm

Quoting Tb727 (Reply 23):

There was an incident last year with an AirNet Lear where a crew decided to roll it on their way back to LCK, but didn't perform the maneuver properly (not that it's recommended or legal in Lears anyway...) and ended up in a 10,000fpm descent and over-stressed the airframe pulling out of the dive. The plane was sitting on the ramp last year during NIFA nationals, and you can see bunches of rivets popped, the doorframe was warped, and several other oddities associated with overstressing the airframe. Needless to say, that crew doesn't work for AirNet anymore...

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=CHI07CA058&rpt=fa

I'll go through my pictures when I get home and I'll see if I can find some shots...

Your CptSpeaking
...and don't call me Shirley!!

tb727

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Quoting Cptspeaking (Reply 52):
I'll go through my pictures when I get home and I'll see if I can find some shots...

Oh man, please tell me you have pics of that airplane!!! Those guys really screwed that one up, he obviously never did it before, sounds like he ended up doing a Split-S. If you can get those pics, please let me know. I have been trying to get a hold of some since it happened for training to show these new hires why we don't do that stuff.

BTW I heard that Captain did it as a victory roll because it was supposed to be his last flight anyways for Air Net, he was going to go fly for NetJets. Oooops!

Let me know if you find them, thanks!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

jetstar

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:10 pm

What about the pilots on the Northwest Pinnacle CRJ-200 that decided to play test pilot, I would classify that as a dumb pilot thing, in this case they paid the ultimate price.

I believe I read somewhere that they rolled the airplane during this ferry flight

N231YE

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 54):

Those guys were so dumb they were nominated for a Dawrin Award.

Jerald01

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:45 pm

I watched a Lear 35 cross over a 9,000' mountain range at just above mountain-top height about 5 miles east of our local airport, dive down toward the valley floor, level off about 100' AGL, then pass directly over the (uncontrolled) airport at about a 90 degree angle to the runway. The aircraft continued westward until about a mile from the runway, turned north, entered a right-hand traffic downwind, made a short base leg, then landed.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that, after leveling out from his dive over the mountain range, he shut both engines down? When he flew directly over my head he was as quiet at a bird, and having shut both engines down was probably why he made such a short base leg.

After exiting the runway, he barely had enough momentum to taxi up to the FBO. My wife and I were sitting in our car just a few feet away from the FBO, and there was not a sound out of that Learjet, either in the air or on the ground.

The FBO operator and his wife were sitting in some lawn chairs just in front of the FBO. The door of the Lear pops open, the pilot steps out, reaches back into the aircraft and takes out a paper plate that is stacked with cookies. He turns and walks over to where the FBO operator and his wife are sitting, reaches out to hand them the plate... then stumbles! Paper plate, cookies, and very red-faced jet jockey went all over the place!

That Learjet may have cost a huge amount of money at one time, but the look on that pilot's face was PRICELESS !
"There may be old pilots, and there may be bold pilots, but there are darn few green cows"

pilotntrng

Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:38 am

There is a show on Court TV called Beach Patrol or something on those lines. I was watching it one night and the camera crew caught a Cessna 172 or a 152 buzzing party boats and swimmers. Looked like he was less than 100feet above em. The Cops got his tail number and they said they would be calling the FAA? Anyone else see this ? I am pretty sure that guy won't be doing much flying anytime soon.
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

2H4

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:42 am

Here's a good one:

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © George N Dean

=======================================================

Accident occurred Thursday, March 19, 1998 in PORTLAND, OR
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/15/2001
Aircraft: Aerospatiale SN-601, registration: N600RA
Injuries: 4 Uninjured.

The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) recording indicated that the pilot was unable to start the right engine before takeoff, and elected to attempt takeoff with the right engine inoperative.

Witnesses reported that the airplane's nose lifted off about 4,100 feet down the runway and that it then became airborne with its wings rocking, attaining a maximum altitude of 5 to 10 feet above the ground before settling back to the ground, departing the right side of the runway and entering an upright slide for about 1/2 mile.

Investigators removed the right engine starter-generator from the engine after the accident and found the starter-generator drive shaft to be fractured.

The aircraft has a minimum crew requirement of two, consisting of pilot and copilot; the copilot's seat occupant, a private pilot-rated passenger, did not hold a multiengine rating and thus was not qualified to act as second-in-command of the aircraft.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot-in-command's decision to attempt takeoff with the right engine inoperative, resulting in his failure to maintain directional control or attain adequate airspeed during the takeoff attempt. Factors included a fractured right engine starter-generator drive shaft, resulting in an inability to perform a normal engine start on the ground.

Here's the cockpit conversation:

At 0916:00, the pilot said, "should be able to compression start it once it gets in the air."

The copilot's seat occupant replied, "seriously?", and the pilot stated, "yeah."

The copilot's seat occupant asked, "why would, why would you say that? I mean is there something that the air will do that you can't do here on the ground?" The pilot replied, "yeah it ah it turns the blades over." The copilot's seat occupant asked, "when will, when will you start it?" The pilot replied, "well we're gunna pull the ignition on as soon as we start ah as soon as we get rolling."

(NOTE: The SN-601 AFM abnormal procedures section specifies that N2 RPM be greater than 50% for use of the immediate engine relight procedure, and the minimum airspeed in the normal relight envelope for a normal engine relight without starter is 200 KIAS.)

At 0916:48, the pilot called the tower, stating he was ready for departure. The tower cleared the flight for takeoff on runway 10L at 0917:01.

The CAM recorded the sound of increasing engine noise at 0917:12. At 0917:46, the copilot's seat occupant said, "there's seventy." At 0918:03, the pilot said, "come on."

Three seconds later, at 0918:06, the CAM recorded the sound of a beeping horn starting; the beeping horn sound continued to the end of the recording. At 0918:10, the CAM recorded the start of a rumbling sound, which continued until the recording ended six seconds later, at 0918:16.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:04 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 42):

Gotta love it!!

We had a lot of "cowboy" pilots at ASA. Anone familiar with C35 in ATL knows that that isn't the place to be taxiing full speed. Well the pilot rolls through and I'm giving him the wand signal to slow down and he keeps going so I (X) him. Well the very next day, the same guy wasn't following ramp instructions again and he ended up clipping another RJ as he spun around to line up, even though the other ramp guy had told him to stop...
What gets measured gets done.

BoeingOnFinal

Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 58):
Here's a good one:

This shocked me. Is it really possible that people this stupid is flying in the same airspace as me? I mean I doubt that one-engine inop. is specified in the MEL, hehe. I sincerely hope people like that loose their certificates on the spot.
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

citationjet

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Flight attendant brings coffee to pilots in cockpit of an AA MD-11 flying MIA to EZE. To help the Flight attendant have a place to sit the coffee down, the reserve FO moves the FO's seat with electric switch without FO's knowledge. FO's knees contact control column pushing it forward. Autopilot system limits exceeded, autopilot disconnects and aircraft pitches over. 800 feet of altitude was lost during the nose over and the occupants were subjected to a minimum of -0.37 G's and a maximum of +1.85 G's.

The airplane received minor damage. One passenger and 1 flight attendant received serious injuries, 12 passengers and 3 flight attendants received minor injuries. The remainder of the passengers and flight attendants who reported injuries sustained minor cut, contusion, and strain injuries. The plane returned to MIA.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?ev_id=20001206X01590&key=1

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

bomber996

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:52 am

I'm a student at The University of North Dakota and I've heard many stories of stupid pilots doing stupid things in my Aviation Safety class. My favorite is this story of two students training for their private licence that went on solo flight's at the same time. They had gotten the same practice area around the Grand Forks area at the same launch time. Upon reaching the practice area they decided it would be a good idea to do some "formation flying" and "bomb" some farm houses. They didn't really bomb the farm house but buzzed it quite close. Close enough so that the farmer could see they were UND planes. Now what makes this story even stupider was that the students were using the practice area frequency to talk to each other so all other planes north of Grand Forks heard who exactly it was doing this formation flying. Needless to say when they got back to GFK they were called up to the Director of Safety of UND Aerospace's office and were disciplined.

Peace  box 
"We've recently upped our standards, so up yours." - Federal Aviation Administration

mNeo

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:18 am

Coming from a flight school again, this time FIT. We had a student (or so the story goes) that took one of our Piper Arrows in ground effect over a lake to see how fast it could go. Administration somehow found out (video i believe) and he was removed from the flight program
Powered by Maina

zarniwoop

Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:29 am

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20080201-1

"For the past hour and a half, the weather condition had turned from light snow to freezing rain, and ice was observed covering the cars in the parking lot. The FBO representative noted the pilot did not activate the airport's taxi and runways lights via the common airport frequency radio channel. It was observed that the airplane taxied through a ditch, which was covered with ice and snow. The airplane's engines were heard at a high rate of power about this time. It was later discovered that the airplane's left main tire broke through the ice and became stuck in the ditch. The airplane continued on the grass area after the high engine power was heard. The FBO representative heard the pilot announce the wrong runway (runway 35) that she was planning to depart from. The FBO representative turned on the runway and taxi lights after hearing the incorrect runway announcement. The pilot later announced a change of departure from runway 35 to runway 17, while the airplane was observed back taxing on runway 26 onto taxiway "C" Charlie. About 1745 the announcement for departure from runway 17 was heard; the FBO representative observed the departure at that time.

After takeoff, the pilot contacted the Air Traffic Controller (ATC) and reported that she was at 1,000 feet, climbing to 10,000 feet. ATC requested the pilot to squawk ident on the transponder. Radar contact was made with the airplane when it was about 2 miles southwest of the Augusta State Airport. About one minute later, the pilot declared an emergency and stated, "We've got an attitude indicator failure". About seven seconds later, the pilot announced over the frequency they were not certain which way they were turning. Radar contact was lost shortly after that.

About 1749, local authorities received several 911 calls from residents reporting a possible airplane crash. A short time later, the airplane wreckage was located about 6 miles south-southwest of the Augusta State Airport. One witness stated to local law enforcement authorities that he saw an airplane fly overhead at a low altitude and moments later observed a large explosion off in the distance."

gocaps16

Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:59 pm

OK, I'd like to share my story, and since we do make the simpliest mistakes while we fly, due to lack of attention to detail, however, I am not the type of pilot that does the dumbest, stupidest mistakes like the stories I've read on this thread.

I did my flight training at Langley Air Force Base and my instructor and I were flying in the pattern at night couple of years ago. The common error was I accidently turned off the rotating beacon while in-flight and nobody noticed it, not even the controller, until eventually later on and I noticed the switch was turned off and I immediately flipped it back on. We were doing stop and go's for an hour, and instead leaving the landing lights and taxi lights on, burning the bulbs, we'll just turn them off once airborne and turn them back on on final, and since the beacon switch was next to the landing light and taxi light switch, I must've accidently switched the beacons and landing lights off instead of the taxi light switch. Fortunately, we were the only aircraft in the pattern that night. Did I learn from my mistake? Yes, I did and I admit it was my lack of details that evening.

jamesbuk

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:19 pm

One of my instructor's stories...

His student in the left seat had just taken off, and at about 300feet the student pulled the mixture all the way back, my instructor saw it was the mixture and pushed it back in before the engine clunked out.

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

TupolevTu154

Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 66):
One of my instructor's stories...

His student in the left seat had just taken off, and at about 300feet the student pulled the mixture all the way back, my instructor saw it was the mixture and pushed it back in before the engine clunked out.

Apparently this happens (according to my instructor) when dense students are asked to do a practice glide approach. Instead of pulling the power to idle, they actually cut the engine with mixture.

Some great stories here!

Tom Big grin

MissedApproach

Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting GOCAPS16 (Reply 65):
instead leaving the landing lights and taxi lights on, burning the bulbs

OT, but the thermal shock of switching the lights off & on is far more likely to cause failure than just leaving them on. Same thing with any electrical/electronic device.
Can you hear me now?

airportugal310

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting BoeingOnFinal (Reply 60):
This shocked me. Is it really possible that people this stupid is flying in the same airspace as me

There is probably even worse out there. Never underestimate stupidity...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

71Zulu

Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:46 pm

How about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCiBGqZ78mA

Not real familiar with the Seneca, but wouldn't the right prop have hit the runway in this situation?

If so, incredibly dumb to go around after already being on the ground.

SEPilot

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 70):

I would certainly agree; what's the point anyway? He's going to have to land again without the right gear anyway; might as well get it over with.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

airportugal310

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 71):
I would certainly agree; what's the point anyway? He's going to have to land again without the right gear anyway; might as well get it over with.

Quoting 71Zulu (Reply 70):

Seems to me like the pilot was trying to possibly force the wheel out of the wheel well if it was stuck in the "up" position...

which is not a bad last ditch effort if you can pull it off!

Kinda of like this but not...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-mvKuqwpak
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

2H4

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:50 pm

Quoting Bomber996 (Reply 62):
I'm a student at The University of North Dakota

Wouldn't the act of choosing a flight school in North Dakota qualify for this thread?  duck 

Quoting AirPortugal310 (Reply 72):
Seems to me like the pilot was trying to possibly force the wheel out of the wheel well if it was stuck in the "up" position...

which is not a bad last ditch effort if you can pull it off!

They should have used a car:

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

airportugal310

Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 73):
They should have used a car:

Now thats using your brain...

or your hand

mhodgson

Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 pm

I know of one person who after starting a PA-28 Warrior, realised he had left a chock in prior to a solo flight. He got out and removed the chock - leaving the engine running  Wow!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

airportugal310

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:27 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 75):
I know of one person who after starting a PA-28 Warrior, realised he had left a chock in prior to a solo flight. He got out and removed the chock - leaving the engine running Wow!

fate is the hunter...

Boeing747_600

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 8):
Technically, I think acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity, as acceleration is a vector, and speed is a scalar.

Acceleration can be either a scalar or vector depending on the dimensionality involved.

SEPilot

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 73):

Wouldn't the act of choosing a flight school in North Dakota qualify for this thread?

Actually, I have the perfect advertising campaign for North Dakota to overtake Niagara Falls as the honeymoon capital of the nation. "Absolutely nothing to distract you from the business at hand." It could work for flight schools too, perhaps?

2H4

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 78):
"Absolutely nothing to distract you from the business at hand." It could work for flight schools too, perhaps?

Although North Dakota flight students might theoretically learn more without the distractions of alcohol and women, I'm not sure what could be done about the ensuing suicide rate.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

DocLightning

Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 79):
Although North Dakota flight students might theoretically learn more without the distractions of alcohol and women, I'm not sure what could be done about the ensuing suicide rate.

1) There's plenty of alcohol in North Dakota. What else do they have to keep themselves occupied?

2) There are women in North Dakota. It's a cold place. They need to kept warm, too. And besides, what else do they have to keep themselves occupied?

duck 
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

COFreqFlyer

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 29):
Anyone ever seen a crop duster emerge from below the runway? I have. Happened at LRU one day when I was solo...I was ready to go on runway 8, and before I could advance the throttle, the local cropduster (who was notorious for never using the UNICOM) popped up from beneath the threshhold on 26 (possible at LRU because it sits at the top of a mesa...) and landed. I don't know if he ever saw me, he was off the runway by mid-field (thank God for 6,200' runways!).

Had this happen to me once at 3R1 (Bay City, TX), I had ferried a C172 down for transponder work at the avionics shop there, and was returning the aircraft to home base. Had called on CTAF with takeoff on 13 and was rolling when I see a duster coming straight at me from the other end, doing a downwind takeoff, no announcements or anything. And this was a 4Kft runway. I pulled power and aborted, announced my displeasure on CTAF, then taxied back around and took off second time around.

Never did find out who the idiot was.
The Proud Bird with the Golden Tail

2H4

Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 29):
the local cropduster (who was notorious for never using the UNICOM)

Once upon a time, on a warm summer evening, I was returning to ARB after some pattern work at YIP. I announced my position and intentions several times as I approached the airport and entered downwind. It was still light out, ARB tower was closed, and the airspace was deserted. Or so I thought.

A closer look revealed a hot air balloon blundering over the airport like a drunken manatee. He looked to be about 5 or 10 feet AGL, and due to the calm winds, was barely moving across the ground. He apparently wasn't tuned into the CTAF, and I had to wait about 10 minutes for him to safely clear the runway.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank