Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Ramp Rats Doing Dumb Things

Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 pm

I saw a topic in the forumn about pilots doing dumb things, how about ramp rats doing dumb things. I can recall a time in TYS ( Knoxville, TN) where the Comair ground crew comensed the de-icing process of a DL MD-88. The did a fab job, minus one small detail. They forgot the emphenage (sp.) !!. Another aircraft spot ice on the tail and contacted the DL crew via ground frequency. They returned to the gate and gave those guys hell as you can imagine. I can recall a bonehead move that almost caused myself a major injury. I started out on the ramp in CHS and I had the bagroohem detail. It was raining cats and dogs and I was on a convertable tug and hauling butt back to the bagroom. In the process I failed to slow down till the last second and lo and behold I was skidding. I nailed a concrete post , and bent in the front cage and damaged the radiator. If anyone has seen those tugs, Delta uses you can imagine how hard i hit. I was lucky I wasn't thrown off lol. I went to my boss and told him what happened. Me being honest saved my job. He did how ever make me paint the bagroom floor with non-skid paint. I learned my lesson with a nice buzz and headache lol. Man that stuff stinks.
Booooo Lois, Yaaaa Beer!!!

pilotntrng
Topic Author

RE: Ramp Rats Doing Dumb Things

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:01 pm

Sitting here reminicing about the glory days of baggage mauling and the glorious job of crapper dumper, I recall a hilarious, but disturbingly gross story. Back in CHS, the last few months I worked there, I was a lead agent. One of the crew and myself took the lav cart to the trichelator ( i think, anyway the place you dump the crap in the ground) . This cart was extremly old and worn out. To get the cap off , we needed a screwdriver. Well we forgot it. I will never forget this guy. His name was Bill, and he was a few sandwiches short of a picnic. He says, don't worry I got it. And boy did it lol. He manages to get the cap off and standing where he was he got the full brunt of "debris" lol. He didn't move either lol. I was laughing my ass off and pushing him out of the way at the same time. After the cart was empty we headed back to OPS, and he didn't want to go home and change, but of coarse I made him. That is one of those never forget stories. lol

FredT

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:31 pm

Setting:
Main terminal of large international airport. Huge glass windows overlooking the ramp. Two stories inside, full of spectators, people sitting in cafes, restaurants etc.

Of course it was on the gate closest to the terminal where I decided it was a good idea to run my own foot over with a catering cart, ramming the darn thing into my achilles tendon giving me a week of limping. I still vividly recall the look on the faces of the people with their grubby little noses pressed hard against the glass as I did a one-footed tapdancing routine and shouted more expletives than I knew I knew. I'm sure they didn't need to hear me to understand...

Oh, and as I visited same international airport a few weeks ago in my current line of work, I noticed there's still a flat gutter on a building on the airport. Belt loader, training, you get it... ooops!

Then there was of course the guy who accidentally offloaded two baggage carts of used wheelchairs enroute as aid to the third world somewhere in front of a taxying 747... same company as I was, and I was following him so of course I had to help him gather it up. Stressful work environment if ever I saw one, having that 747 looming over us, in a hurry to catch its slot time.

Driving off with the ground power unit still attached to the aircraft = Innards of GPU distributed over ramp as cable is pulled out of it.

Do not try stopping a 2t ULD rolling inside a cargo 737 with your foot. Unless you fancy a month of sick leave, that is.
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Ouch that had to hurt like crazy. I can imagine you said a few naughty words. Speaking of naughty words, I always found it to be hilarious when I non-reved and heard my friends in the cargo hold shouting and cussing at the bags.

One of the funnier and dumb things I witnessed was a fellow ramper in CHS being blown over by a 757. She was holding a pair of chocks and didn't notice that the number one engine was still idled. The normal procedure in CHS was to shut down the number one engine first due to equipment, etc. She assumed it was off and walked right behind it and took several tumbles. She tried to get back up and got knocked over again. We ran over after they shut it down to make sure she was alright. She just had some scraps, but was ok. We had a good laugh after that.

2H4

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Once upon a time, the president was flying into my home airport to speak in a nearby city.

The secret service arrived a couple of days early to investigate the area, talk to airport officials, and prepare for the president's arrival.

On the day of the president's arrival, the C-5 was unloaded, the motorcade was prepared, and government agents were stationed in and around the airport facilities. Snipers could be seen stationed on the tops of buildings. Men dressed in immaculately-tailored and perfectly-pressed black suits sharply contrasted the usual assortment of locals clad in sleeveless white t-shirts, sweatpants, and flip-flops.

A friend of mine...we'll call him "Marty"...spent a lot of time driving the Cushmans around. You know, the little golf-cart-like pickup trucks.

Marty thought it was extremely funny to momentarily turn off the ignition and floor the gas pedal, producing an extremely loud backfire. He would sneak up on us, make the thing backfire, and laugh and laugh after we jumped a foot into the air.

So, as Air Force One was on about a 4-mile final, we were all standing out on the ramp, waiting to watch it touch down. Armed agents and men in black were stationed at various points around us. The airspace had been cleared. The runways and taxiways were vacant. Everything was eerily quiet.

Suddenly, off to the left, we saw Marty emerge from the main hangar, hauling ass straight across the main ramp on a Cushman, enroute to the terminal building.

Upon seeing us, his eyes narrowed and his trademark "up-to-no-good" grin emerged.

His hand moved from the shift lever to the ignition key.

In unison, we started to shake our heads, wave our hands, and shout "Marty, NOOOOOO".

Amazingly, he emerged from his idiocy unscathed. The government officials looked none too happy with his "gunshots", though.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:51 pm

2H4,

You just won the award, for the best ramp story of all time. That is both insanely funny and crazy at the same time. That's classic!

NoUFO

Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 5):

You just won the award, for the best ramp story of all time.

Second that!  Wow!
I support the right to arm bears

Dalmd88

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:41 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 5):
You just won the award, for the best ramp story of all time

I agree. I had a couple of experiences with AF1 when I worked at EFD. That is in Houston, Tx. Tenants at the time include TxANG, TxNG, Coasties, UPS, COExpress and the NASA Space Center.

So the first time I'm sitting up in the TxANG ops control cab when AF1 lands. I'm not assigned there mind you, it is just the best place to see the ramp. One of the guys picks up the Binoculars and looks over at the Secret Service black wearing sniper holding a really big gun on the top of the ops building. Some one asks What's he doing? Answer, don't anybody make a sudden movement to the window. He is looking at us look at him.

The second AF1 incident I had was my flight crews fault. They had to fly out just before AF1 left our ramp. Our normal launch point on the ANG ramp was where AF1 was parked so, we towed them down to south of the NASA ramp for launch. As I'm passing the NASA ramp I make note of the stage and small crowd formed in front of the NASA hangar. We set up next to the UPS DC8 and my greenbean guys slowly get ready to launch. This crew is notorious for their inability to ever launch on time and it is Sat noontime. This is extra duty and after I get rid of them the wife and I go off to drink beer and eat awsome B-B-Q at a friends house. So finally they start the first engine. I feel a presence behind me. Local Sheriff type. Not kidding real Tin Star Harris Co. So I disconnect the power unit and Col Center of the Universe taxis away. As they leave Deputy Barney waves me over to the car. He the informs me the top executive shall be departing soon and I am to stay with him until Slick Willy takes off. Fair enough, he has a real Texas gun.

So, Willy and the enotouge of black SUV's wizz past us to the awaiting AF1. Cool, 20 min or so he will be clear and I'm off to beer and brisket. Deputy Dog's radio comes to life. There is much conversation about the security of the NASA ramp. Remember how I noticed the stage and the small crowd earlier? That now takes meaning. That stage and small crowd are not for our Commander in Chief. They are here to welcome our vailant astronuats back to their home in Houston. Seems Bill saw the stage from his SUV and asked why are those people there. A quick check reveled the astronuats will be arriving soon from the Kennedy Space Center. Bill of course seized the opportuinity to wait and welcome the space shuttle crew in person. I ,with The Deputy, spent most of the afternoon sitting next to a UPS DC8.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am

DALMD88, that is great stuff. I couldn't imagine the stress working on the ramp around AF1.Im sure everyone was clamped up so tight ya'll could probably squeeze out a diamond lol. On a side note, great username. The maddog is a pain in the butt to load baggage wise, but is a great aircraft. Any rampers for Delta on here? If so, have you guys seen any bin grafitti from TYS? I have done my share of that crap and I have to say it's a dumb thing to do, but a ramp rat tradition lol.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am

I have a couple. Working in ATL for 2 years, you bound to run into bone-heads (me included Big grin ).

We were bringing in a CRJ into C35 and as I spun her around to line up with the parking T, here comes ASIG rolling up in their van. Well the plane was moving a little slow so I guess they didn't want to wait. Right as they gunned it behind the RJ, the captain gave the throttles a nudge to get her moving a little faster. All I heard were those GE CF34's begin to scream and all thw windows on the side of the van blew out as hey drove by. All I could do was shake my head. So our safety guys had to come up and right a report, etc.

If I don't have a belt loader or tug to stand on, I would just run and jump into the back of the bin of the RJ. Well, one time things didnt work out too well. I miss judged and cliped my shins as I leaped in. OUCH!! I've also seen guys "attempt" to jump out the back of the bin of one of our CR7's. It may not look high but it is a looong drop.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Danny Fritsche
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

What gets measured gets done.

pilotboi

Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh my, where to start? All names shall be kept quite.

Quoting PilotNTrng (Thread starter):
In the process I failed to slow down till the last second and lo and behold I was skidding. I nailed a concrete post , and bent in the front cage and damaged the radiator. If anyone has seen those tugs, Delta uses you can imagine how hard i hit.

One of our tugs have a slightly bent front cage as well from someone running straight into a concrete pole. And just the other day someone grazed the side of one tug, but it created a HUGE bang that just about everything outside heard. The steering was slightly messed up from that, but I believe it's been fixed.

A few weeks ago someone who was not certified to push, but had done so a few times before with a trainer along side, decided it was a okay to push without a trainer with him. He ended up jackknifing the towbar. No damage was done to the aircraft or our equipment, but pushing procedures were changed after that.

This one did not happen to our company, but another one at my airport. The company had recently received a lav cart to dumb lavs on the aircraft they service. The lav cart was not new and even had a small tear in part of the hose used for emptying. The guy in charge thought it was a good idea to just go ahead and use it anyway, I mean what harm could it do, right? I do believe he was wearing a full suit protection, as required by the airline. Anyway, as he began to empty the lavs, the hose gave way and completely ripped apart...I think you can finish that one for yourself. I did not get to see this one, only heard about it. And from what I heard, it was a HUGE mess, literally.

Just yesterday I was turning off the A/C cart just before the aircraft was getting ready to push. Our procedures call for us to close the value, then slowly turn the throttle down until idle, then wait a minute or so, then turn it off completely. Well even with the value closed all the, some air still gets through, enough to keep the hose slightly inflated. Just after I close the value, and while turning down the throttle, someone decides to help out by starting to roll the hose up. But the hose is still inflated! And they're actually trying to roll up an inflated hose. It resulted in making it hard to roll it up, of which the person didn't care. But the worst part is that once the cart was off, the hose wasn't really rolled up anymore and the next time it was used, it couldn't be unrolled correctly.

A few weeks ago, the person pushing failed to check if the bypass pin was installed. Of course, it was not. After turning slightly, the shear pin on the towbar gave way (for those who don't know, a shear pin is designed to break before the nose gear breaks, and once broken it makes it so the tow bar is no longer straight/useable). With the shear pin gone, it creates another pivot point in the whole connection. But since we were running kind of late, the pusher (also supervisor) decided just to continue with the semi-working towbar. He got another 10-15 feet or so before figuring out this wasn't a good idea. There was enough room for the aircraft to turn out, so we just disconnected there and off they went. He doesn't forget to check the bypass pin anymore.

Numerous times I've seen people driving tugs (or even been a passenger on them) with three empty bag carts (or one empty then two full) where they are going about as fast as they can, then stomp on the breaks (usually not intentionally, but still a stupid idea) and jackknife the first cart. Especially not good when your pulling up to the belt to dump bags and the bag doors are open for all the passengers inside the terminal to hear.

That's all I can think of now, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Great stories Pilotboi, that one about jackknifing the tug with the baggae carts reminds me of something. It's been so long I can't remember where it was at, I was on TDY either at ORF or GSO, I am pretty sure it was ORF. Anyway it was an AA ground crew towing 4 or 5 carts and somehow they managed to tip them over. Once one goes they all go lol. AA happens to use the carts with one open end and a steel backing. Can you guess which way they were faced down when they fell? One of the most hilarious things I have ever seen on the ramp.

atct

Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 9):
to jump out the back of the bin of one of our CR7's. It may not look high but it is a looong drop.

Yea I worked the ramp for Delta at Pittsburgh for a few years. The Crj-200's no sweat....but I only made the mistake of letting myself down out of a CRJ-700 once. lol. The other thing I loved about them were the coffins up front (so called because if you had to crawl in there it was about the size of a coffin).

I guess I have two whoops. The first time im attach 4 freight cans to a tug...the freight cans are empty but they still way a good chunk so I finally get them moving, reach down to put the tongue in the drop pin, I miss slightly hitting the hitch, the tongue bounces up and smashes some fingers against the back end of the tug. A ride with the station manager to the local hospital and a couple broken fingers im back on the ramp.

My other story is we get this BRAND NEW open air TUG tug. Beautiful, It has like 3 hours total time. We are all excited. (PIT...like all other outstations...never gets NEW equipment, just the 30 yr old stuff ATL has had the joy to beat on). Well we all treat it carefully. Im pulling two cans up to a CRJ-200, paying attention to not hit the wing (this is before the new cone policy) well I clip the belt loader, side swiping the yellow bar at the bottom, putting a nice long yellow paint scrape down the side of our brand new tug. (3 days old at this point). Glad I got to break it in  Smile

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

miamiair

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:39 pm

I have seen a couple of "good" ones.

DC-8 was leaving the MX facility after a "C" check. There was one tug with the GPU and a Pick-Up with the start cart attached to it. One they had all four turning, the ground power was disconnected and drove clear. The supervisor motioned to a line mech to disconnect the air from the nose of the -8 and move it clear; all the guy did was hop in the GMC and start to drive off. Crash, Boom Bang. The hose tore the sheet metal around the port; the start cart ended up on its side. He was given a week off.

Same guy a few months later, was coming back to the hangars from Cargo City in the GMS with the same start cart. The service roads around MIA have turns and bends to get around the canals... As Mr. Line Mech slows to make a gradual turn, a few seconds later he notices something passing him, you got it, the start cart. He had failed to lock the trailer hitch and it came loose. Is sailed past him and dove into one of the canals. Two weeks off w/o pay. The start cart was salvaged and repainted. It even had a stencil U.S.S. (Guy's last name). He has never lived it down to this day.

There was plenty of dry ice in the composite shop. Some clown decides to build a bomb. He didn't use much water so it took awhile to go off. It had been placed in a scrap metal drum in an empty part of the shop. A group of customer reps were being showed the facilities andcame into the composite shop. No sooner had the door closed the bomb went off. It was loud. Must have scared the crap out of the reps, startled everybody else. The VP of MX knew who the culprit was and had a little chat with him.

Wouldn't call this one dumb, but retribution:
A security guard that worked mids hadthe nasty habit of eating food that did not belong to him. After a couple of episodes of people's cans of Starkist tuna disappearing, a disengenious individual place a Starkist label on cat food. Yes, the guard ate it. Some brownie's were baked and loaded with Ex-Lax, the guard had the screaming shits for a couple of hours after that.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

MissedApproach

Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:47 pm

When I worked at YTR, we would often arrive at work to find a large amount of GSE clustered around our shop from the night shift. On this particular day, one of the GPU's was tagged with the notation "massive oil leak". We checked, & sure enough, the oil filler cap was missing.

Quoting PilotNTrng (Thread starter):
I failed to slow down till the last second and lo and behold I was skidding.

Same shop, we had a guy who liked to do that on purpose. I finally had to have a talk with him- I mean, his friends are working in the shop, & if he manages to injure one of them, what then? Worse than that, his driving was causing the others to behave in a similar fashion. I have to admit that he was really good behind the wheel though. Rumour was he even jumped the tug once (one of the little Clarks).
Can you hear me now?

777wt

Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:17 pm

One morning I got a call about a pickup truck jammed under one of my airline's ERJ-145...went to it and saw it..just as daybreak was coming up.

Had to jack the plane up, have the GSE drive the pickup truck out and the inspectors looking at it..etc
It was found out someone drove the pickup truck and forgot to put it in park...rolled down backwards across the US Airways Express ramp to right under the rear of the plane!
windshield and cab top was crushed in half on the pickup truck...some dents and scrape on the plane.

Had it flown out under 'ferry' to the base for repair  Wink

To this day, there's a picture on the wall in the GSE's shop. Don't know if they found the guy who drove it last time.

And a roadtrip to JFK last year, one of the rampers was new and thought the ERJ-145 he was loading up was a Dash-8...drove the tug into the r/h wing and damaged the aileron and the structure. Repairs had to be done (ie replacing the aileron) then the aircraft was flown to the base for final repair.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Some of ya'll have mentioned some painful incidents, and I can recall the most painful blunder, which was bumping my head ( numerous times) on that screen around the fire detection system ( i think) in the CRJ-200. When we had a lot of bags to cram in there, I would bang my head and start cussing lol.

For this next one, I hope everyone has eaten thier lunch, because it's rather gross. Maybe some of you guys recall that on some of the older 757's , they use the "doughnut" lav system. Well someone royally screwed me over lol. I was working the ramp in CHS and happened to walk into OPS after loading bags. The crew called in and requested lav service on the foward lav. I stupidly said, " I got it," and boy did I. I parked the cart underneath the lav port and from some grosser stories from my fellow rampers there, I learned not to stand directly under the port. I opened the panel and grabbed ahold of the latch and lo and behold gallons of used blue juice and "debris" fell apon my arm and down my sleve. Some knucklehead not only didn't put the doughnut back in , but also pulled the release valve. I proceded to use some fairly harsh language, but finished the job. I told my boss, I am headed home to shower and change. That was brutal.

NBGSkyGod

Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:03 pm

I remember one time me and another guy were working on the GA ramp at BWI. There was a check flying company that flew MU-2s. The proceedure was, when they came in we would hook up the GPU, they would load the cargo, then wait for them to start engines, and then disconnect. One night when the were ready to leave, the line guy was waiting for the signal to disconnect after start. The signal never came, and the pilot started to taxi. So the line guy makes a dive for GPU cable, while I run up and try to shut off power before the cable is pulled out. I manage to get the power turned off just before the wire was pulled out of the unit, but the other guy was still holding onto cable being dragged down the ramp (thankfully the GPU hookup on an MU-2 is behind the wheels and props). After a few feet of being dragged he finally is able to get the cable disconnected from the airplane. We called the tower and had them stop the plane so he could inspect the aircraft for damage. It looked like something out of a movie watching this guy being dragged along the ramp by an airplane.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

TheCol

Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:28 am

One of the airports that I have worked at (won't mention which one) had a small bagroom with limited space to move stuff around. Anyway someone had the bright idea to build a wall around a steel support post, which served no purpose, IMHO, other than for aesthetic detail. Of course that wall made it even more difficult for us to drive carts in and out of the bagroom. Eventually the wall was removed, twice, by those of us who drove the carts in too fast. After the second or third time it was left out all together.
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

Soku39

Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 am

This thread is unbelievably worthless without pics.  Smile
The Ohio Player

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:08 am

Quoting Soku39 (Reply 19):

well I certainly concur, but when you are doing something stupid on the ramp, the last thing you want is a pic lol

I am not plugging this pic, but I am sending this one out to my friends from all the stations I have been at especially CHS, and to all the ramp rats past and present. We all deserve some glory even in our stupidity. lol By the way from this pic I am posting this 757 was almost at the gate. This scene and background should clue you in to my lav story..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brad Harris

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:57 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 16):
Some of ya'll have mentioned some painful incidents, and I can recall the most painful blunder, which was bumping my head ( numerous times) on that screen around the fire detection system ( i think) in the CRJ-200. When we had a lot of bags to cram in there, I would bang my head and start cussing lol.

I have hit my head on that thing countless times!

Oddly enough, all my "accidents" have been on the RJ. The ATR was very good to me. Only thing I can say is I bumped my head atleast once a day when I go in to remove the tail stand...

arffdude

Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 10):
A few weeks ago, the person pushing failed to check if the bypass pin was installed. Of course, it was not. After turning slightly, the shear pin on the towbar gave way

As a former ATL ramp controller, it's good to know who to blame when the pilot tells me the towbar just broke and he's gonna be sitting there a couple minutes, clogging up my ramp  Wink

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 9):
Well the plane was moving a little slow so I guess they didn't want to wait. Right as they gunned it behind the RJ, the captain gave the throttles a nudge to get her moving a little faster. All I heard were those GE CF34's begin to scream and all thw windows on the side of the van blew out as hey drove by.

I remember a similar incident in ATL (ramp 4, I think) when some sort of vehicle (I think bus, not sure) drove behind an Airtran that was powering up and blew out all the windows. That was fun to work my ramp with just one lane at the south entrance.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 pm

I don't know why it took me so long to recall this one, but here goes. I am sure this DL 757 has been through a couple paint jobs and that this "boo boo" has been permantly fixed, here is the story. We had two DL 757's sitting at Gates A1 and A2 in CHS. The same guy mentioned above about the lav cart incident, was moving the fueling ladder from one aircraft to the other. Well he cut it a little too close to the fuselage and knocked a nice little hole in it. A gold colored patch was the quick fix. I am not sure if they did anything more permanent, but that patch was there for a while. Everytime that plane came in, we gave him hell lol.

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:40 am

Recalling my early days in training as a rookie ramp rat I can think of a few stupid things I did.

1. Loading an HR (Human Remains) onto an MD-88 flight to CVG and not coordinating my communications better with the guy lifting the other end of the casket. While passengers are watching out the windows from the plane, and from inside the terminal, I mistakenly think the other ramper has a firm grip on the HR as I make an attempt to get a better grip myself.... The next thing I know, I look up at the beltloader just in time to see the HR tipping off the side and go tumbling off upside down onto the ramp! You could hear a dull thud as the casket made contact with the tarmac and the body inside shifted. Then another two thuds as we up-righted it and put it back on the loader!

2. Having not been trained about the use of Ground Power, one day we have a flight that's delayed about 25 minutes because our contract fuel truck hasn't shown up. The flight crews getting pissed, and for some reason during the delay they have to reprogram the route into the FMS. Not realizing the APU is not up and running, as the gates pushing back from the plane, I walk up and unplug the ground power causing the FMS to loose the flight info that had just been programmed! As a result, the flight missed their take off slot and there was a resulting ground stop due to flow control along the route in New York airspace! That captain wasn't happy with me!

3. On my second day on the job, it's a snowy Christmas day and I'm working under the ramp supervisor who was a strict Mormon. On this cold morning, we had to go tow an -88 off a remote stand to the gate. The planes hooked up to a heating cart. You know, the kind with the big yellow hose that supplies warm air into the cabin when a flights on the ground? Anyway, having never used this equipment before and with no instruction, I'm told to disconnect the hose while the rest of the guys hook up the tug. I fail to realize the hose kind of stuffs back into the heat cart.. Kind of like a jack in the box type thing. So I just hang the hose and the 20 lbs. metal connection nozzle off the top of the cart before I notice Less the Mormon come running over waving his arms and shouting "No, that's wrong! You've got to stuff it back in the cart. Never mind, just watch me do it this time! I've got it!" So with that, I think he's got control and I let go of the nozzle while he's bent over stuffing the hose back in the cart. Well, turns out he didn't mean he had a hold on the hose! It proceeds to fall three or four feet from the top of the cart onto this guys head, and cracks it wide open! Blood is streaming everywhere and he used the foulest language I've ever heard come out of a Mormon's mouth! He says "AAHHHHH, GOSH DARNIT YOU FREAKIN IDIOT!!!!" All while turning three shades of red jumping up and down in pain before the blood started to cover his whole face and get in his eyes! So here comes the airport fire department and off he goes to the hospital to get 30 stitches in the top of the head. Some Christmas that was! Wasn't the gift he was expecting, and I never felt comfortable around him ever again after that for some reason! There was always some tension in the air.

4. One of the cleaning guys was up in the cockpit doing his work and managed to get one of the Mics hung. I don't remember the whole scenario, but I remember the flight takes off to ATL only to loose radio contact with ATC as it's climbing out. Flight had to return to the airport following radio out procedures. I'm not sure why the crew couldn't have troubleshot this problem, but for some reason they didn't and were none too happy to arrive back at the point of departure only this discover it was caused by a hung mic!

5. Another time, we had a new guy up cleaning the rear lavs. When he's done changing the trash, he tosses the bag out the aft exit door that the catering vehicles pull up too. Only he didn't tie the bag! It hits the pavement, catches a gust of wind and the entire contents are blowing around the tarmac. There was a US 737 pushing back at the next gate and some of the trash got sucked right up into the number two engine!

6. Then we had this bonehead that worked on the night shift and thought it was fun to take one of the bag tugs after the tower had shut down for the night, and take it for a joy ride around the runway perimeter road and down the taxiways. Occasionally crossing active runways, although that late at night there was usually no traffic! Regardless, pretty stupid! The same guy use to like to drive his 84 Chevy Caprice out onto the ramp after hours and fill the tanks with the ground equipment gasoline. He'd falsify the fuel logs and never got caught that I'm aware of?

[Edited 2008-03-13 20:58:42]

pilotboi

Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:55 pm

Okay, I'll finally share one of my dumb things...

We were getting bored of listening to the same boarding music every night while cleaning. So I had the bright idea to hook up an MP3 player to the captain's mic jack and put it on PA. I bought a wire that had a 3.5mm jack on one end, and a PJ068 jack (the mic jack of an aviation headset) on the other end. Just before it's first use, I thought to myself...well this isn't going to work, since the push-to-talk button needs to be held down. After a few minutes of thinking, and some help of a friend, we found a heavy duty zip-tie that could be undone. So we rigged it up so that the button was held down, plugged the MP3 player in, pushed PA, and presto! GOOD music!

Now comes for the good parts...first, there were a few times where I forgot to push PA (I had gotten used to it being already selected). But sometimes it was left on COM1 (usually tower), and for a brief few seconds, I turned the aircraft into a radio station, letting the tower controller listen to my music. After realizing that the music was not playing on board, I ran back and quick hit the PA button. I'm guessing to this day they still don't know where it came from.

But the end of this story ends kind of sad, and this is where the really dumb part comes. One night, my MP3 player had died (battery was low) in the middle of our cleaning. By the time we were done cleaning, we had all forgotten that the MP3 player was still in the cockpit. And for some reason, I had not even remembered it while heading home, making sure I had everything with me. So in the morning, the ramp crew did not find it (since they do not need to go into the cockpit)...but when the flight crew got there, they were probably a bit surprised, and confused. Maybe they thought it was a gift at first. From what I heard from other people, the flight crew thought it was an cool idea, but the gate agent in charge was not too happy with it. In the end, we were no long allowed to use an MP3 player while cleaning (Not that we had approval from management to begin with, only my supervisor).

So that's my personal "dumb thing". Long story, but original.

Sinlock

Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:56 am

At this old job I had we had a big issue keeping tugs fixed, So things always ran pretty tight. We'll our GSE guy gets nabbed for DUI so our tug situation go's from bad to worse.... So on one flight we can't get the bags from the bagroom as there just arnt any tugs. The station manager is pulling out his hair screaming at me "I don't care how just the dam bags" I try to explain but he doesn't care. So being the smart ass I am, I yes sir you want the bags you got'em I'll be right back.

I walk over to the other side of the terminal jump in to my "Replacement" tug and drive to bagroom and pick up 4 full carts of bags. Needless to say he turned white as a ghost when I pulled up with 4 carts of bags behind the Pushback I took from the other gate. He threw up his hands and walked off the ramp. Needless to say we were still short on tugs so I cut the carts loose and went and got the mail and freight. Buy the time I got back my manager was back sitting in a tug he pulled from another team.

I had 20 year agents buying me bears for weeks.

AA777-200

Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:07 am

I was getting ready to push back one of our company ERJs at gate 3 and my friend and roommate flyinryan99 was at gate 2 next door getting ready to load a 737 that was a charter. He worked for Chicago Express and did the ground for a casino charter. They were using another airlines belt loader and when he pulled it up to the aircraft he forgot to set the parking brake and it got bumped into reverse. Next thing I see is ryan chasing the belt loader across the ramp towards the active taxiway! it was hilarious to see! he was luckily able to jump on and hit the brakes.

MTSUATC

Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Had one a few weeks ago while deicing. We were just beginning for the day, and it had snowed very heavy overnight. The top window of the cab had a considerable about of ice and snow on it. The windshield wipers were frozen, and if anyone has deiced you know you need to see out that top window to keep an eye on the bucket guy. Well I was in the bucket and had the bright idea to give it a quick spray to melt the ice and snow, not realizing where the nozzle was, and being in an awkward position I accidently pulled the handle back and got a face and mouth full of glycol. My driver was laughing the rest of the day. I couldn't get that taste out of my mouth for two days.

twal1011727

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:25 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 4):
Once upon a time, the president was flying into my home airport to speak in a nearby city.

Back in the summer of 1985 (+/- 1 yr) Ronald Reagan was giving a speech at a Melbourne FL venue.
The local Sears store is within a 1/2 mile of Melbourne airport.
The main store air conditioner unit was broken and a repair tech was on top of the building fixing it when
the mighty arm of the U.S. Secret Service pounced on him.
As they brought him down from the roof in cuffs, the Sears store management and his own company had to plead with the G-men to release him. They finally did but wouldn't let him up on the roof until Reagan was gone. Needless to say it was hot for another day in the store.

Good ole U.S. gov't communications for ya.

KD

flanker

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:29 am

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 26):
At this old job I had we had a big issue keeping tugs fixed, So things always ran pretty tight. We'll our GSE guy gets nabbed for DUI so our tug situation go's from bad to worse.... So on one flight we can't get the bags from the bagroom as there just arnt any tugs. The station manager is pulling out his hair screaming at me "I don't care how just the dam bags" I try to explain but he doesn't care. So being the smart ass I am, I yes sir you want the bags you got'em I'll be right back.

I walk over to the other side of the terminal jump in to my "Replacement" tug and drive to bagroom and pick up 4 full carts of bags. Needless to say he turned white as a ghost when I pulled up with 4 carts of bags behind the Pushback I took from the other gate. He threw up his hands and walked off the ramp. Needless to say we were still short on tugs so I cut the carts loose and went and got the mail and freight. Buy the time I got back my manager was back sitting in a tug he pulled from another team.

I had 20 year agents buying me bears for weeks.

You didnt work for swissport did you? lolololllloooooo...

Bartonsayswhat

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:27 am

Tonight i almost killed the same ramp agent 4 times. he has a nasty tendency to try to unhook or walk between carts while they are still being driven. the fourth time was going to be on purpose, because he can not for the life of him, push airstairs up to the front of a 737. after the second or third time of it being of by more than 30 degrees, i had to do it my self, and fight the urge to beat him. would have chewed him out in debrief, but he also has a tendency to leave early. out of all the stupid people i have met, he is their leader. he should prob be working for TSA instead

pilotboi

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:11 am

From what I heard the other day, one ramper here almost walked behind a running 757 engine at idle. We no longer have a training manager at our station (they removed the position), so the supervisors and other rampers are supposed to be training the new people. But apparently no one explained to him that you need to wait for a signal from the marshaller to chock the mains. And the other reason is that he's used to chocking the mains on an MD88, which is what we usually get, immediately after its parked.

Another one I heard from the other day (not the same ramper), but someone backed the belt loader away from a CR7 bin without closing the bin door. And no, they weren't really tall.

And something that happened tonight, not here, but in ATL...they forgot to put a pink tagged stroller on our first inbound RON. So they sent it on the second one. Not anyone's particular fault, but ATL in general. And while we're on that topic...thanks for all the backward stacked bags ATL.  Yeah sure

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 32):

ATL does that crap on purpose, then you start a binload discrepency war with them, guess who wins? Of coarse ATL does. When I worked for Piedmont, we got DASH 8's a few times daily from CLT. Some knucklehead decided it would be funny to misload the aircraft. They completely overloaded the foward bin, I can't believe they got the door closed. I happened to be the one opening it in TYS. All the bags that were above the bin webbing were laying up against the door. It took a couple of us to manhandle the door open and had our heads about cracked open, luckily we managed to get out of the way. I guess these guys that work at hubs, think the little guys at outstations deserve that crap, but I certainly paid them back on that one. I loaded the aircraft properly weight wise, but all handles inward, and the yellow tags mixed with checked. Needless to say TYS ops got a phone call, and I just shrugged my shoulders and walked out the door.

litz

Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Quoting Bartonsayswhat (Reply 31):
Tonight i almost killed the same ramp agent 4 times. he has a nasty tendency to try to unhook or walk between carts while they are still being driven.

This type of thing is especially dangerous, with any kind of interconnected rolling stock.

Just a week or so ago, a brakeman on the CN railroad was killed when he went back to check on a 'separation' in his train (this is when a knuckle fails and the train breaks apart).

He went and got the new knuckle and was installing it on the drawbar when the other half of the train -- which he had failed to check and secure via handbrakes -- finally leaked out all its air (that was holding the brakes on from the emergency application) and rolled downhill, crushing him against the car he was working on.

Do not underestimate anything that can roll or move that's bigger and heavier than you are.

- litz

pilotboi

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:04 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 33):
ATL does that crap on purpose, then you start a binload discrepency war with them, guess who wins? Of coarse ATL does.

Oh I know, it's so annoying. One time we got a bin that was packed full, and the webbing wasn't secured at all (and no, it wasn't broken, all connectors were able to be connected) so bags had fallen between the inner and outer bin doors (MD-88 we're talking about). It took 3 of us about 10 minutes to finally get the door open, along with a bag that got ripped open because of it all. One of us sent a bin discrepancy back with a short explanation of the shit we had to do and ended with a "WTF?".

What I hate the most about being at an outstation is that you know you can't really get back at the hub because it's highly unlikely that the person or crew that loaded the plane sent to your station will be unloading the one your sending back.

ex52tech

Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:20 am

Back in 88 when I was working at DFW we had a safety meeting, and the general manager showed a video that had been recorded on a gate camera.

The time on the video was approx. 3 AM. In this video was a mechanic, with his hat pulled down so you could not see who it was, driving a belt loader. He was spinning donuts in a large puddle of oil that had leaked from an LD3 pod loader that had broke down on that gate earlier in the day. There was so much smoke coming off the tires of the belt loader that you would catch glimpses of the belt loader, through the smoke. This went on for almost ten minutes, and then he left. These belt loaders had 6cyl engines in them and a few had inop governors, and this was one of those belt loaders.

They never did figure out who it was, they had it narrowed down to about ten of us.

There would be occasional belt loader drag races. Had one up to 70mph one night before shutting it down. Yes, they had speedos in them, most of them did anyway.

On a more serious note, I did see a ramper walk in front of a CF6 that was idling. He had his heavy coat over his arm, and got it sucked off of his arm by the engine. I have never seen anyone move that fast. Had to borescope that engine, but no damage was done. Nothing left of the coat though.
"Saddest thing I ever witnessed....an airplane being scrapped"

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:34 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 36):
In this video was a mechanic, with his hat pulled down so you could not see who it was, driving a belt loader. He was spinning donuts in a large puddle of oil that had leaked from an LD3 pod loader that had broke down on that gate earlier in the day.

This is something of the type totally uneeded at the Airside & its surprising that you do get a few Bad apples that do not realise the seriousness and safety requirements of working on the Airside.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

ex52tech

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:51 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 37):

This is something of the type totally uneeded at the Airside & its surprising that you do get a few Bad apples that do not realise the seriousness and safety requirements of working on the Airside.

Lighten up........it was me, I was a lot younger then, and dumber. There was not an airplane within 3 gates of this gate.
Only harm done was some lost tire wear on the belt loader, and the guys at the meeting were roaring with laughter.

Signed : Bad Apple.  Big grin

P.S. On a positive note, they cleaned up the puddle of oil, before someone slid into an airplane.

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:05 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 38):

All I can say is.............awesome !! Hilarious stuff .

ex52tech

Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:35 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 39):
All I can say is.............awesome !! Hilarious stuff .

I was laughing so hard, I almost fell off the belt loader. Even the general manager was trying to keep a straight face while threatening to "get that guy".

pilotntrng
Topic Author

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:02 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 40):

Ya know, this business is so "hardcore" that even the littlest things now adays will get you fired. Having a good laugh on the ramp, i think, is the most important thing to keep up moral. I knew the pay sucked, I knew the benefits sucked, but I loved the job. When a fellow "teammate" screwed up we made sure they were alright, but then laughed our butt off at em lol.

It's been enough time now and the guy is no longer the manager at TYS, so I will share this story. We had 3 CRJ-200's at gates 8 and 10. It was absolutly blustry out.Gusts had to be up in the 30 knot range. The ole boss, literally old boss, was getting knocked around. He liked to go out and watch us bust our behinds getting these birds turned around. I remember standing ontop of the stairs on one of the RJ's and everything that wasn't tied to the ground was getting knocked over, including the boss lol. i didn't see it, but all my buddies said he was flappin in the wind and fighting it hard till he keeled over and ate it. Couple of the guys helped him up and he decided it was best to go inside. If the ramp paid 30 bucks an hour , dammit all i wouldn't have left. good stuff mates.

ex52tech

Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:45 am

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 41):

Ya know, this business is so "hardcore" that even the littlest things now adays will get you fired.

Yeah that incident happened 20 years ago, and now I wouldn't even think of trying it. We all watched out for each other back then.

Quoting PilotNTrng (Reply 41):
If the ramp paid 30 bucks an hour , dammit all i wouldn't have left. good stuff mates

Exactly........now the "job should be reward enough" is the attitude. That is just not working, got mouths to feed.

NBGSkyGod

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:20 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 42):
Exactly........now the "job should be reward enough" is the attitude. That is just not working, got mouths to feed.

When I worked for a major FBO in the DC Metro area we had a motto on the ramp of "The beatings shall continue until morale improves."
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:04 pm

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 32):
And something that happened tonight, not here, but in ATL...they forgot to put a pink tagged stroller on our first inbound RON. So they sent it on the second one. Not anyone's particular fault, but ATL in general. And while we're on that topic...thanks for all the backward stacked bags ATL.

Big grin

CSG had the nerve to send us (ATL) the early morning ATR with ALL of the bags backwards in the front AND rear bins. Well...you don't do that sort of thing to a hub. Let's just say all their flights from the day out of ATL sucked for them...

Yeah, it's childish and silly but it keeps the day going by and things a little light. Nothing like sitting on a belt loader at around 1430 or 1600 with nothing to do because that's pretty much the slowest time of the day. Boy I do miss the ramp.

wn676

Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I only saw the aftermath of this, but this is how I've heard the story: We had this brand new guy who was probably not out even a week yet decide that he could push out while the lead was still sending the numbers up in the jetway. On this particular gate, you have to push straight out and then back into a turn to get the aircraft on the taxi line with the tail facing south. Well, this guy thought he was better than that, so he started pushing out at about twice the speed you normally go and starts to make this big, wide s-turn in the middle of the alley to avoid doing the pull. I'm not exactly sure how he managed to do it, but by the time he finally decided to stop, the aircraft was tail north and facing a terminal wall at the end of the alley. Needless to say, he didn't get off to a good start here.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

MTSUATC

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 am

Don't get me started on pits with the handles in, or bags falling on my head when the pit is only half full? IAD is the worst. Not only is it not safe but it's also a FAA regulation the the net has to be secured. Everytime I find one thats not we write a full report at my station.

Quoting Wn676 (Reply 45):
CSG had the nerve to send us (ATL) the early morning ATR with ALL of the bags backwards in the front AND rear bins. Well...you don't do that sort of thing to a hub. Let's just say all their flights from the day out of ATL sucked for them...

See I hate that kind of attitude. I think hubs do it on purpose all day long. I know it's not that hard to load a pit with the handles out. I know I do it all day with the handles out. I've just got to the point where if the pit comes in with handles in I'll send it right back out the same way. I know the same person doesn't work the inbound, but they all do it so it's ok. IAD once sent us a message about a pit that was messy. We taped it up in operations with a message saying "Look IAD made a funny"

pilotboi

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting Wn676 (Reply 45):
We had this brand new guy who was probably not out even a week yet decide that he could push out

I'm assuming he had previous experience? I don't understand how someone working there for only a week was allowed to push a multi-million dollar piece of equipment with a good amount of people on board.

Quoting MTSUATC (Reply 46):
See I hate that kind of attitude. I think hubs do it on purpose all day long. I know it's not that hard to load a pit with the handles out. I know I do it all day with the handles out. I've just got to the point where if the pit comes in with handles in I'll send it right back out the same way. I know the same person doesn't work the inbound, but they all do it so it's ok.

Is it just me, or was that the most hypocritical comment I've ever seen? First you say you hate that attitude, then you say you do exactly that. So I don't get it.

MTSUATC

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:45 am

Quoting Pilotboi (Reply 47):
Is it just me, or was that the most hypocritical comment I've ever seen? First you say you hate that attitude, then you say you do exactly that. So I don't get it.

'Yeah it is, but I always send the first flights out in the morning the right way, some of the pits i've seen you wonder who teached them how to load pits. Sometimes I just get fed up with it though.

HAWK21M

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 am

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 38):
Lighten up........it was me,

Im quite a fun Guy.But on the Airside,one can't be Doing certain things  Smile

Quoting Ex52tech (Reply 42):
Yeah that incident happened 20 years ago

Guess those days things were not so strict.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)