Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pl4nekr4zy
Topic Author

737-900ER Tail Skid Question

Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:40 pm

According to Boeing's website (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/pf/pf_900ER_fact.html), the 737-900ER has a redesigned, "two-position" tail skid. I've compared photos of -900ER tail skids with those of -900 tail skids and can't find any apparent differences between the two. So what exactly is the difference between the -900 and -900ER tail skid? And what exactly is meant by "two-position"?

And since we are on the topic of -900/-900ER differences, the link above also mentions "wing strengthening changes" and "enhancements to the leading and trailing edge flap systems". Anyone care to elaborate on these changes, and whether or not they are physically evident, or merely internal structure changes?

Thanks for any info.

roseflyer

RE: 737-900ER Tail Skid Question

Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 pm

The 900ER has a short field performance package. This was created originally for the 737-800 at the request of GOL so that they could land the 800 in Rio De Janeiro and Sao Paulo. The plane has ground spoilers that extend at a steeper angle and create more drag and a two position tail skid.

The two position tail skid has a hydraulic actuator which deploys from the tail skid. The hydraulic boom lowers automatically when the plane is on approach and provides extra protection against a tail strike. When the tail skid is not deployed it does look the same as the normal 800 and 900.

The difference is subtle, but you can see it if you compare the tail skid closely:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Raymond Ngu
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andre Oferta

HAWK21M

Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:31 pm

pl4nekr4zy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
The 900ER has a short field performance package. This was created originally for the 737-800 at the request of GOL so that they could land the 800 in Rio De Janeiro and Sao Paulo. The plane has ground spoilers that extend at a steeper angle and create more drag and a two position tail skid.

The two position tail skid has a hydraulic actuator which deploys from the tail skid. The hydraulic boom lowers automatically when the plane is on approach and provides extra protection against a tail strike. When the tail skid is not deployed it does look the same as the normal 800 and 900.

The difference is subtle, but you can see it if you compare the tail skid closely:

Thanks for the info!

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 2):
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/pf/pf_900ER_fact.html
Any further links on the topic.
regds
MEL

Thanks for the link, but it's the same one I referenced in my original post. Wink Although for some reason, it didn't automatically became clickable like it should have.

HAWK21M

Thu May 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 3):
Thanks for the link, but it's the same one I referenced in my original post. Although for some reason, it didn't automatically became clickable like it should have.

True.I was enquiring if there were any additional links that the one qouted.
regds
MEL

roseflyer

Thu May 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):

I don't know anything else about the leading edge or tailing edge flap system that is specific to the 900ER. But if you have any questions about the two position tail skid, I probably can answer it although I don't know of any links.

pl4nekr4zy
Topic Author

Fri May 02, 2008 7:57 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 4):
regds
MEL

Oh, gotchya, sorry. I don't have any other links either.

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 5):
But if you have any questions about the two position tail skid, I probably can answer it although I don't know of any links.

So what's the advantage of the two-position skid over the normal -8/-900 skid? I'm assuming it better prevents fuselage damage from a tail-strike than the normal skid or something?